Sydney_Fife

Fire Jim Caldwell

102 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Aaron said:

No challenging that fumble is as bad as kicking off in overtime. 

Yup,

Two MAJOR coaching blunders there in my opinion.  Now, that wasn't the ONLY reason the Lions lost... far from it.  But those are definitely two things you can point too.

Caldwell's reasoning on not throwing the flag (what I've heard at least) was that the guys upstairs didn't get a look until late and cautioned against it.  But I think in that situation, even if it questionable, you throw it and risk it.  That's a huge momentum swing like the INT to finish the first half... that's at least a 6 point swing with preventing a likely FG and getting one of our own.

And the on-sides kick... while I get the logic of it, I just think the percentages of success are too small there.  As small as you might think it likely to get a stop against the Texans, an on-sides recover is smaller in my opinion.

4 hours ago, RedRamage said:

And the on-sides kick... while I get the logic of it, I just think the percentages of success are too small there.  As small as you might think it likely to get a stop against the Texans, an on-sides recover is smaller in my opinion.

Whether you kick short or long, you pretty much need a 3 and out either way.  If you get it, it doesn't matter that much which side of the 50 it's on - they still can't  kick a FG without a 1st down. From that perspective, going  for the onside is pretty much a freebie. 

the other seems pretty clear cut, the replay calls are basically random 50/50 based on what really happened so take a shot at it. What any normal person thinks looking at the film is just short of meaningless.