Sydney_Fife

Fire Jim Caldwell

I don't know why owners of my teams always hang on to coaches too long.  Currently, I am waiting for Ausmus and Caldwell to get fired.  At this point, it doesn't matter if we do it now or after the season.  It was already too late when he started the season as our coach.  

I am also glad those fans who thought Jim Bob was the answer to our problems can now see the light.  

I don't blame  Jim Bob.  I blame the head coach because these players have checked out.   Not all of them, but a lot of them.     Golden Tate is mentally gone.  Just trade him, get a draft pick and move on.       The defense is kind of second-rate and I think it's getting fairly obvious that Levy's done and Ziggy won't be back for awhile. Slay is still good, but not having the other two exposes him a little more.   Still can't run the ball and Stafford was awful today and I think now there has been 10 or 11 games of film of Jim Bob's offense for other teams to study, they are more prepared to defend it.  

I don't know what the answer is.   But another coach through the meat grinder?   I think even the best coaches couldn't fix this disaster, but even if they could , the best coaches don't want to come here and end their head coaching careers.    

Not that I have any desire to defend Caldwell, but it is also true that if an org can't assemble a roster with a little depth it takes away one source of a coach's leverage.

15 hours ago, Hart said:

I am also glad those fans who thought Jim Bob was the answer to our problems can now see the light.  

Does yesterday eliminate the overall net performance of the offense under Jim Bob?

Honest question.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Does yesterday eliminate the overall net performance of the offense under Jim Bob?

Honest question.

No, but when you can't score an offensive TD against a terrible winless team, it doesn't look good. 

This is a move I can get behind.  I am not all that invested anymore though.  I laughed through most of yesterdays game.  My nephew has just started getting into golf...looks like I have a new Sunday hobby...at least for the next few weeks while the weather still permits.  No more sitting down in front of the TV to watch the Lions game anymore.  If I am not doing anything I will still watch I am sure, but I am going to start using that day to do things I do not have time for through the week.  

I get Saturday and Sunday every week to not have to worry about work.  I'll be damned if I am going to keep wasting them on the Lions.  I would like to say it was a good 25 year run of watching just about every game, but it was anything but.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sure, but all teams have disappointing offensive or defensive games periodically.  The Patriots were shut out, for example.

I doubt they would have gotten shut out with wonder boy at QB. Playing with a 3rd string QB is pretty hard in the NFL. 

43 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

....If I am not doing anything I will still watch I am sure, but I am going to start using that day to do things I do not have time for through the week.....

You could post about the Lions on the motownsports Lions forum. 

8 minutes ago, nd1377 said:

I doubt they would have gotten shut out with wonder boy at QB. Playing with a 3rd string QB is pretty hard in the NFL. 

Even with a 3rd string qb, the shut out was unexpected.  It happens.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Even with a 3rd string qb, the shut out was unexpected.  It happens.

From a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the best, how would you rate their offense yesterday? 

I would rank it somewhere around 2. They were out of sync, dropping passes, couldn't run the correct routes, couldn't run the ball, etc. That is the worst I have seen them since early last season. 

I wondered aloud yesterday if this team had at all practiced during the week and if so, what was the point of it? They looked ill-prepared and disinterested all day yesterday. For all this talk about Caldwell being a well liked guy in the locker room, it seems more and more clear with these flat, lethargic starts to games, that he doesn't have the players attention enough to make them want to try harder and prepare better for the games. It's time for a change. Pick a coordinator, pick Randy Edsall, pick whoever, give them the interim tag and move on from Caldwell.

Motown board all offseason: This roster sucks, Mayhew drafted terribly, we shouldn't be expected to win much

Motown board when team performs poorly during season: Well clearly we need to fire the coach with a winning record, that's gotta be the problem

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Motown board all offseason: This roster sucks, Mayhew drafted terribly, we shouldn't be expected to win much

Motown board when team performs poorly during season: Well clearly we need to fire the coach with a winning record, that's gotta be the problem

Can I have both conditions? The roster sucks and the coach sucks? 

59 minutes ago, nd1377 said:

Can I have both conditions? The roster sucks and the coach sucks? 

Sure, you can, but its a consistent theme among fans to blame the coach and it gets tiresome. The roster sucks but we're probably losing because of Caldwell's facial expressions on the sideline. No, maybe its because he had the confidence to stick with Roberts at returner......

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Sure, you can, but its a consistent theme among fans to blame the coach and it gets tiresome. The roster sucks but we're probably losing because of Caldwell's facial expressions on the sideline. No, maybe its because he had the confidence to stick with Roberts at returner......

It is the refs that hate the Lions. 

5 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

some coaches can "coach up players" which players has Caldwell done that with? 

You don't have to have a great coach and great players to win. Sometimes you can win inspite of one another. We have neither. 

I honestly think Quinn looked at this year as a lost year and figured we wouldn't be very good and that's why he kept Caldwell. Evaluate what you have, figure out your coach, take your high draft pick and try it again. 

4 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

some coaches can "coach up players" which players has Caldwell done that with? 

You don't have to have a great coach and great players to win. Sometimes you can win in spite of one another. We have neither. 

I honestly think Quinn looked at this year as a lost year and figured we wouldn't be very good and that's why he kept Caldwell. Evaluate what you have, figure out your coach, take your high draft pick and try it again. 

Coached up? How about Stafford. He said he'd get his comp% up and his INTs down. He has. 

We have players who have played well and players who haven't. I don't know for fact which of either Caldwell is responsible for. People talk about this team's depth, but what they really lack is star talent. Especially on D. Since his first year we've lost Suh,Fairley and Levy while Ansah hasn't played this year. You can't coach guys up to that level. It also forces other guys out of their roles. Take a guy like Taylor who was just discussed. He's probably a solid 2nd or 3rd DE, when playing opposite guys like Suh and Ansah, but as one of the main focuses of the opposing offense, he's easily taken away. 

As for the last part, that's fine. I said Caldwell was on the hot seat at the beginning of the season. Its not that I think he's the end all, be all of coaches, but I think he's probably better than most people think and I don't think firing him is the solution to our problems. I think Caldwell has the respect of the players(and the refs, who enjoy having obscenities screamed at them at less than Lion's fans think), I think he's good for our QBs, I like his coordinators and staff and I believe consistency in coaching has value. Especially in the NFL where the margin for error is so small over a 16 game season.

Either way though, I'll trust Quinn's evaluation and see how it goes.