Sign in to follow this  
PuNk42AE

10/1/2016: Detroit Tigers vs Atlanta Braves - 7:10 PM

CtokOm4UkAE2-oF.jpg

From Turner Field in Atlanta, Georgia, it is the...

DETROIT TIGERS

versus the

ATLANTA BRAVES

ph_519455.jpg

Jordan Zimmermann (9-6, 4.88)

After neck problems and pitching issues, Zimmermann returns for his first start since Sept. 10 and his third since June 30. He recorded eight outs over his last two starts combined, which prompted repeated simulated games.

ph_594760.jpg

Aaron Blair (1-7, 8.02)

After securing his first career win vs. the Mets on Sept. 19, Blair allowed five runs in 3 1/3 innings against the Marlins on Saturday, when his command issues resurfaced and he walked three batters.

CtpxYFXVIAAv3WR.jpg:large

abandon-all-hope-ye-who-enter-here-pirat

I was reading on some site about tie-breaker rules and they mentioned that since Baltimore and Toronto had better season records against the Tigers they held the tie break.

Does that mean we have to finish one full game ahead to them to actually win a wild card?  I was under the assumption that if we tied them in the standings we'd have a one game playoff.

If we were tied with only one of them as the two Wild Card the other team would become WC1 and Tigers would be WC2.  If there was a tie for the WC2 spot there would be a play-in game between those two teams, a Game 163 to see who would be the Wild Card Team.

HaHa - based on the starting pitching probabilities, the Tigers and Jays will win, Baltimore will lose and all three teams will be tied in the loss column with the Tigers 1/2 back with the game in hand. Or IOW effectively a three way tie again. The curious thing is that  if it ends that way and if I read the scenario right, and I think as Punk has described, since Balt and Tor both hold the tie breaker over the Tigs, they would play first, the loser then plays the Tigers. So we are liable to have to play one less game for being third seed.

HaHa - based on the starting pitching probabilities, the Tigers and Jays will win, Baltimore will lose and all three teams will be tied in the loss column with the Tigers 1/2 back with the game in hand. Or IOW effectively a three way tie again. The curious thing is that  if it ends that way and if I read the scenario right, and I think as Punk has described, since Balt and Tor both hold the tie breaker over the Tigs, they would play first, the loser then plays the Tigers. So we are liable to have to play one less game for being third seed.

In that 3 way described it's essentially a 2 game series. Whoever plays in game one would host the Tigers. The winner would then host the other team. The trick is the top team in the tiebreaker, I don't remember if it's BAL or TOR, gets the choice. Host game 1 or advance to 2nd game but play on the road to game 1 winner. So I don't see where DET plays one less game.

In that 3 way described it's essentially a 2 game series. Whoever plays in game one would host the Tigers. The winner would then host the other team. The trick is the top team in the tiebreaker, I don't remember if it's BAL or TOR, gets the choice. Host game 1 or advance to 2nd game but play on the road to game 1 winner. So I don't see where DET plays one less game.

I am pretty sure you are right. The top seed in a 3 way tie only has to win one game but it is on the road. The second seed has to win 2 games but both at home. The third seed has to win 2 games, the first on the road and the second at home. I think. Plus I believe the top seed has the option of choosing the 2nd seed's path if they prefer.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

You're all half right.  Team A gets to choose if they want to be the Home Team for two games, playing Team B, then Team C in back to back days.  Or if they decide they only want to play one game, Team B is home against team C, then Team A travels to the winner of B/C.  No matter what the Tigers would be Team C in any of the permutations I believe.

That's what I thought I was describing.

O's up in Yankees in 4th. Yanks laying down.

Let the O's win out. That way they'll be due for the loss when the Tigers face them. #Statistics

If the Tigers win tonight and the Jays lose, I am probably going to book a flight in and out tomorrow to see the game.

Just now, TheCouga said:

Booo, I was rooting for Wisconsin.

great school Wisconsin.  I've hired my share of their grads.  They brought it today too.  

I actually like our chances once (if) we get into the playoffs.  With Verlander back to his old self, Fulmer, and Norris healthy, I think we're as competitive as anyone else in the playoffs right now, including the Cubs.  Bonus if Zimmerman is somehow healthy again.  I guess we'll see today.