PuNk42AE

9/30/2016: Detroit Tigers vs Atlanta Braves - 7:35 PM

CtYgN-9WEAASnHo.jpg:large

From Turner Field in Atlanta, Georgia, it is the...

DETROIT TIGERS

versus the

ATLANTA BRAVES

ph_596057.jpg

Daniel Norris (3-2, 3.59)

Norris tossed 5 2/3 innings of two-run ball on Saturday and was in line for the win before the Royals rallied late. He overcame three unearned runs to beat the Indians Sept. 18 with six strikeouts over five innings.

ph_605538.jpg

Matt Wisler (7-12, 4.86)

Wisler’s past two starts have provided indication that he has gained the confidence he lacked before being sent to Triple-A Gwinnett this summer. His ability to consistently command his fastball has enhanced the value of his slider.

tiger-fans-rain-gtyleonhalip.jpg?w=640&h

abandon-all-hope-ye-who-enter-here-pirat

September 30, 1945 - Hank Greenberg's grand-slam home run in the ninth inning on the final day of the season beats the St. Louis Browns 6-3 and clinches the American League pennant for the Detroit Tigers. Virgil Trucks, discharged three days earlier from the Navy, is the starter, with Hal Newhouser relieving in the fifth.  Box Score

September 30, 1987 - Detroit and Toronto both lose and the Blue Jays maintain their 1.5 game lead.  Tigers go 4-0 and the Blue Jays 0-3 the rest of the year.

4 minutes ago, davidsb said:

September 30, 1987 - Detroit and Toronto both lose and the Blue Jays maintain their 1.5 game lead.  Tigers go 4-0 and the Blue Jays 0-3 the rest of the year.

Repeat!

The only thing that worries me this weekend is that there is no DH.

That doesn't bother me. Gives us the best pinch hitter between the two teams. And honestly it is probably better to have JD hitting cleanup that Victor anyway. And of course it's not like Atlanta isn't also playing without the DH.

3 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

At least we have a great bat coming off the bench.  Doesn't VMart have 3 pinch HRs this year?

I am happy with Victor sitting TBH.  I hope he is not needed at all.  Our pitcher has to hit their pitcher has to hit...it is a wash IMO.  I would rather Victor get 3 days of rest for the potentially crazy 3-4 days that would follow if it ended in a 3 way tie.  If we make it in without a crazy 3 way tie scenario then even better.  If we lose, it will not be because Victor is not in the line up.

Our magic number over either the Jays or the Orioles is 6.

Our tragic number at the hands of both is 3.

3 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

These feathered dudes look ready for a fall.

MW+Blue+Jays.jpg

It would be special.  

33 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

We have Norris, no need for a DH!

I know its icky rooting for those two teams.  I am rooting for the Tigers and for tears in Maryland and/or southern (but not southwestern) Ontario.  It feels better rooting for someone else's misery than rooting for the Yankees and Red Sox.

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Go Yankees and Red Sox!  

Even slightly more so for the Red Sox, if they finish Sunday .5 ahead of Cleveland, then Cleveland will have nothing to play for on Monday.

Sweep them Jays!!!

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What do Goofus and Gallant have to say about it?

Goofus+and+gallant+16.jpg

Tonight we need all the Rally Sallys, all the memes, all the mojo, all the magic.  I'm not going near that cursed T-shirt.  I'm walking that line. 

14 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Even slightly more so for the Red Sox, if they finish Sunday .5 ahead of Cleveland, then Cleveland will have nothing to play for on Monday.

Sweep them Jays!!!

Yeah Cleveland would have to be .5 ahead of Boston or Texas for them to HAVE to play on Monday.