21 minutes ago, kdog said:

if there is a washout today... you would be down to this:

Fri:Norris

Sat: Zimm

Sunday:JV

Monday(game 162 with Cleveland)-Fulmer

Tuesday Game 163 or Wild Card-?

Wednesday Wild Card-Norris

In that sense a postponement could help us get into the playoffs or a play-in game, but that Tuesday must win would be Boyd/Farmer/Znn (whoever they don't start Saturday).

The problem is I want to watch baseball today/right now dammit

4 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

In that sense a postponement could help us get into the playoffs or a play-in game, but that Tuesday must win would be Boyd/Farmer/Znn (whoever they don't start Saturday).

The problem is I want to watch baseball today/right now dammit

I thought it might turn out beneficial to us as well, but really, I'm not sure we gain too much from it.  Yes, we get another Fulmer start if we want it over Boyd (or Farmer).  But we lose a potential start against Merritt, which looks enticing. And who knows who the Indians might throw on Monday.  It won't be Kluber... but maybe it would be Tomlin or Bauer.  Or maybe they decide to try to get Carrasco some work before the play-offs.  

I'm sure the Indians would love nothing more than to knock the Tigers out of the playoffs. Imagine if the Tigers got in and ended up beating them in the ALDS or ALCS.

Anyone remember how the Tigers dominated the Twins in 1987 and then once they faced them in the playoffs....

6 minutes ago, Antrat said:

I'm sure the Indians would love nothing more than to knock the Tigers out of the playoffs. Imagine if the Tigers got in and ended up beating them in the ALDS or ALCS.

Anyone remember how the Tigers dominated the Twins in 1987 and then once they faced them in the playoffs....

You really had to bring that 1987 thing up?   

If this game is postponed, I think that means we really need to hope that Baltimore loses tonight to put us 0.5 back. We could avoid playing on Monday if we go 3-0 against Atlanta and Baltimore goes 1-2.

Playing on Monday will really screw us.

If we don't play tonight and Baltimore wins, we will be 1.5 back of both of them. If we go 3-0, we would need one of them to get swept to be 1.5 up after Sunday.

This sucks so much. What else can go wrong for this team? Baltimore with a pair of ninth inning comebacks this past week, and our ninth inning meltdown on Saturday, and then the weather screwing us for the tiebreaker/wild card games if we can manage to qualify.

8 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Should'of won one of those unimportant earlier season games rather than lose it.

BAM!

If we are leading by 0.5 games after Sunday, I think they should use Farmer/Boyd against the Indians on Monday. In that situation, Monday is not a must win game, but Tuesday would be, win or lose on Monday. So save fulmer for Tuesday, and you've got Norris ready for Wednesday if Tuesday is a tiebreaker. If Tuesday is a wild card game, then Norris can go in game 1.

If the Tigers trail by 0.5, it gets a bit more messy. Monday becomes a must win, and fulmer is ready. But Tuesday is also a must win tiebreaker and Norris would be on three days rest. And then we still have no one good for Wednesday's wild card game.

You've got three must win games in a row if we trail by 0.5. There is really no way around that, so I guess you just go fulmer on Monday, and Boyd/scrub on Tuesday, and Norris on Wednesday. Then you have Zimmermann or a scrub going in game 1 on Thursday.

I'm not downtown so it's hard to say, but it looks like it was rain free around 1:15 or so and then started again around 3. Is that true?

Anyway, I guess there is a chance it could clear up by 6 or 7. But if it is going to rain hard for the next couple hours, I can't see how the field will be playable.

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I'm not downtown so it's hard to say, but it looks like it was rain free around 1:15 or so and then started again around 3. Is that true?

Anyway, I guess there is a chance it could clear up by 6 or 7. But if it is going to rain hard for the next couple hours, I can't see how the field will be playable.

I think the rain itself during that time wasn't the issue but rather the conditions of the field... warning track, dugouts... it was a huge mess.  

I heard a rumor that the umps were ready to start not long ago but Ausmus and Francona said no, the field was still too crappy.

Looking at the radar again.... sheesh.  I feel bad for the fans. I see no way they get this in.  Francona does not want to come back Monday... he said he'd send a ****ty lineup if he had to.  (A rumor again).

The area around Comerica park has taken on over 5 inches of rain today. Can't possibly be playable.

28 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Looking at the radar again.... sheesh.  I feel bad for the fans. I see no way they get this in.  Francona does not want to come back Monday... he said he'd send a ****ty lineup if he had to.  (A rumor again).

Assuming that rumor is correct, is Francona helping his cause?  That sounds like incentive for the Tigers to push to reschedule for Monday, if Francona is saying he wasn't to throw scrubs out and hold back his starters... 

Even if we are already out of or in the playoffs no matter what, but Cleveland could be placed as the #2 or #3 team, they will play Monday.  Would really be a downer for the Tigers and Fan base to be out of it, but have to still play that day I would think.

Assuming that rumor is correct, is Francona helping his cause?  That sounds like incentive for the Tigers to push to reschedule for Monday, if Francona is saying he wasn't to throw scrubs out and hold back his starters... 

Its MLBs call this time of year.

Even if we are already out of or in the playoffs no matter what, but Cleveland could be placed as the #2 or #3 team, they will play Monday.  Would really be a downer for the Tigers and Fan base to be out of it, but have to still play that day I would think.

Is that for sure? I was thinking about that and I can't believe Cleveland would have any interest in traveling to Detroit for one game just to settle which team is seeded 2nd vs 3rd. I am also surprised MLB doesn't already have a rule on the books about makeup games to determine seeding for home field advantage purposes only.

A half game difference is arguably a better way to determine the 2 seed relative to the 3 seed than using a head to head to tiebreaker.

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Is that for sure? I was thinking about that and I can't believe Cleveland would have any interest in traveling to Detroit for one game just to settle which team is seeded 2nd vs 3rd. I am also surprised MLB doesn't already have a rule on the books about makeup games to determine seeding for home field advantage purposes only.

A half game difference is arguably a better way to determine the 2 seed relative to the 3 seed than using a head to head to tiebreaker.

Earlier I was reading a story on AtBat that said it, that even if it didn't affect Detroit's playoff chances, but did with Playoff seeding they would need to play it.  Also would assume it's MLB's prerogative to have the game played and not Cleveland.

Sweet, no way Francona is going to want to play his regulars on Monday, we'll get the B team again. Best case scenario we clinch the second wildcard and don't even need the game, but I think this gives us more flexibility overall.

That's why I posted it, the Indians twitter said "If they need to", but also who runs the Twitter of teams, not someone that has all the rules in's and out's.