Sign in to follow this  
Tenacious D

Current Tigers Hall of Fame chances

Current Tiger's chances of making the Hall of Fame?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which current Tigers will make the Hall of Fame after their careers are over?

• Miguel Cabrera
    • Francisco Rodriguez
    • Justin Verlander
    • Ian Kinsler
    • Other

Verlander is on his way. Honestly, if Kinsler ages gracefully, he would be well-credentialed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If Verlander can average 15 wins over the next 5 seasons, and add 750-800 K's, I think he'll get in.  The bar will have to change for starting pitchers moving forward--we might never seen a 300 winner again, and even 250 wins will become a significant milestone.  He's at 173 career wins--75 more gets him close to 250.  It's doable, and quite frankly if he can't average 15 wins per season, he's not really deserving.

Kinsler is quietly putting up very quality numbers at 2B.  He should also have a few Gold Gloves to his name, but his defensive statistics will help him.

F-Rod's accomplishments are probably the most impressive, statistically, but the Hall does not seem to value saves anymore.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

If Verlander can average 15 wins over the next 5 seasons,

Doesn't even need to do that. 

Now that he's back healthy there less reason to think he can't pitch until he's 40. That gives him 7 years to get near 250 wins (and I'm not sure he has to do that. Pedro had 219 and he got in first ballot with 90 percent of the votes). He's about 800 strike outs from 3,000. He has 246 this year. If he can put up 200 for the next two years, that leaves him 300 short over those last five years. As long as he crosses that threshold, then you add in a completely dominant stretch from 2019-12, he'll get in easy. (not to mention he's been great with the media which plays a part right, wrong or in different)

K-Rod and Kinsler have zero shot. 

K-Rod is still 70 saves short of 500. Lee Smith has more and he barely registered 40 percent. John Franco is right behind K-Rod and he was off the ballot after year one. Billy Wagner behind that and he registered 10 percent. 

Kinsler doesn't come close to any marker. He has 1,600 hits, 210 singers and, only, 783 RBI, with a career WAR 52.6 (chet lemon finished with 55). He has never finished in the top 10 of MVP voting. He will go down along the lines of a J.D. Drew or Magglio; very good careers, guys that made a lot money. Nowhere close to HOF consideration let alone "are they worthy" 

Miggy is already there.... JV is about 80% there.  Meaning if his career ended now I don't think he's in but just a few more years and I think he's got it.  

Never thought of K-Rod as a HOFer.... relievers are tough.  Kinsler could make it.  He compares well.

Verlander's career could end now and he would be in.  This year added another great season on the pile.

RoY, Triple Crown, Cy Young, MVP, 0.600+ winning percentage.  Clearly was a dominant pitcher, which writers look for.  Lots of black ink, durable, good post-season numbers.

Only steroids allegations or gambling keep him out.

I don't think he's done enough to get in just yet.  How does he compare to guys like Mussina and Schilling?  

JV will make it absent an injury blowout.

Kinsler has a shot...Roberto Alomar seems like the closest comparable....Alomar had a 3-year head start on Kinsler (age 21 v 24), but Alomar dropped off fast after age 34.  If Kinsler can have another 4+ productive years, he could get close to 2,500 hits and 300 HR and 70 WAR.  He would have a very similar profile to Lou Whitaker (especially if he has strong years in his mid-30's), and would be about the same as Alomar in most respects.  Frankly, looking at the HoF roster, it seems like Lou and Tram have a stronger case every time I look at it, especially if the Vet's Committee puts them in as a duo.

K-Rod, I dunno, I'm not really that excited about relievers as HoFers.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Verlander's career could end now and he would be in.  This year added another great season on the pile.

RoY, Triple Crown, Cy Young, MVP, 0.600+ winning percentage.  Clearly was a dominant pitcher, which writers look for.  Lots of black ink, durable, good post-season numbers.

Only steroids allegations or gambling keep him out.

Yeah, I agree, JV has been a generational talent, and all-time dominating pitcher....the way he's come back this year is nothing short of amazing.  He has the awards, the WS appearances (no ring but that didn't stop others), and incredible stats.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't think he's done enough to get in just yet.  How does he compare to guys like Mussina and Schilling?  

Schilling never won a major award, though was 2nd in the Cy Young 3 times.  Slightly worse winning percentage, less black ink, more wins and a phenomenal post season career.

Mussina had a better career but almost has no black ink.  Mussina should be in the hall, no questions.

That written, never underestimate writers being besotted with dominance, and Verlander has that going for him.

I am surprised at the JV comments. I think he will make it but I wasn't sure he's there right now. Like if he retired tomorrow. A few years ago I even suggested he was on a quicker path than Miggy was.

Tony Paul said he got word that Tram and Lou will be on ballot in 2018. I guess the current ballot for the new vet committee is 88- The next one is era before that. Good chance they get in I think.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I am surprised at the JV comments. I think he will make it but I wasn't sure he's there right now. Like if he retired tomorrow. A few years ago I even suggested he was on a quicker path than Miggy was.

Tony Paul said he got word that Tram and Lou will be on ballot in 2018. I guess the current ballot for the new vet committee is 88- The next one is era before that. Good chance they get in I think.

I think they have a chance to get in as a duo.  They would not go in separately.  I hope the influential sabers who have been touting him makes their voices heard as that vote approaches.  I hope the Detroit media builds them up and gets the word out as well.  

20 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Is there a precedence for "duos" getting in the HoF? 

Tinker, Evers and Chance

On September 29, 2016 at 0:37 AM, Keepleyland2 said:

K-Rod and Kinsler have zero shot. 

K-Rod is still 70 saves short of 500. Lee Smith has more and he barely registered 40 percent. John Franco is right behind K-Rod and he was off the ballot after year one. Billy Wagner behind that and he registered 10 percent. 

Kinsler doesn't come close to any marker. He has 1,600 hits, 210 singers and, only, 783 RBI, with a career WAR 52.6 (chet lemon finished with 55). He has never finished in the top 10 of MVP voting. He will go down along the lines of a J.D. Drew or Magglio; very good careers, guys that made a lot money. Nowhere close to HOF consideration let alone "are they worthy" 

If Kinsler follows up with three seasons similar to the last three, his numbers will be comparable to Ryne Sandburg's, while playing two fewer seasons.  Not unfathomable, given the shape he's in.  Very good production for a 2B, his biggest challenge will be comparisons to his contemporaries, Cano and Pedroia.  

K-Rod will be penalized only because the Hall doesn't appreciate saves anymore.  His numbers are better than other Hall relievers, including Fingers, Gossage, Eckersley and Sutter.

Do the Tigers have the longest streak in the majors with nobody who played for them in 40+ years going to the hall? They might. The last hall of fame player to put on a Tiger uniform was Kaline. No hall of famer has played an inning here since "The Great" Kaline retired. No 30 innings of Steve Carlton, or half a season of Eddie Murray here. The last HOF guy who did that here was Eddie Mattlews. 

Am I missing anyone?

Cabby's a lock. I agree that Ver needs to win a bunch more. Kinsler? Sorry, there's just too many good players out there waiting to get in. Like Vizquel, he was probably never even the MVP of his team, say anything of the league...

14 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If Kinsler follows up with three seasons similar to the last three, his numbers will be comparable to Ryne Sandburg's, while playing two fewer seasons.  Not unfathomable, given the shape he's in.  Very good production for a 2B, his biggest challenge will be comparisons to his contemporaries, Cano and Pedroia.  

That's true, he would have very comparable stats to Sandberg in that case....not unfathomable at all.

44 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

That's true, he would have very comparable stats to Sandberg in that case....not unfathomable at all.

Just to get to sandburg numbers Kinsler would have to average over 200 hits a year for the next three (he had 178 this year). 300 RBI (he had 83 this year). Meanwhile Ian has four all star games and an 11th place finish in MVP. Sandburg has 10 all star games, 9 gold gloves and a MVP. Kinsler war is currently 52.9 and Snadburg finished 67.5. So unless Kinsler goes 6 + in his age 35-38 season he's likely to fall short there too. So not sure what you guys are getting at. 

Kinsler has basically put up the career of Ray Durham 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

If Kinsler follows up with three seasons similar to the last three, his numbers will be comparable to Ryne Sandburg's, while playing two fewer seasons.  Not unfathomable, given the shape he's in.  

It is very unlikely he will put up three similar seasons the next three years given his age.

Porcello has a chance because he has been racking up 10+ win MLB seasons since he was an infant and now plays in a media market where he will be favored because of exposure.  

Castellanos has a tiny chance if he actually does start winning batting titles like the scouts say he is capable of doing.   That needs (needed) to happen soonest.  

The three baby SPs Norris, Fulmer and Boyd are all great but probably not that level of great. 

Alex Avila when he gets 10 division titles under his belt as a manager.  

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Porcello is neither helped nor hurt playing for Boston as it pertains to making the HoF.

Because reporters are scientists