Yoda

Award Predictions

Another problem is that the premise writers are the experts is a faulty one, IMO, as well.

Yeah, 80 years ago, it is probable the beat writers saw more baseball than just about anyone, were in the clubhouse daily, and having them vote made a lot of sense.

Now, everyone has access to the games and a number of writers don't even attend that many games.

EDIT: I should add my wife is a writer and goes to a fair number of games.  She would be the first to tell you there are lots of people more qualified to vote than most writers.

Well, that's a problem.  If the voters can't take it seriousrly enough to wait until the end of the season before voting, then they shouldn't be voting in the first place. 

Especially for the AL cy when everyone knew how close it was.

Sending in an MVP vote or manager vote or ROY vote a week before the deadline isn't a big deal, at least this year.

I can't see any reasonable argument for having JV lower than fourth on any ballot. Porcello and kluber and JV all had close eras and high innings. Britton had the insane year. I could see putting Britton first and the other three in some order. Or the three with Britton fourth. I can understand giving Porcello the nod due to the wins and the team's success overall. I could see kluber ahead of JV due to Cleveland being good. I at least understand that motivation.

I actually have a bigger problem with how many people put Porcello second behind JV. If a voter liked verlander at 1, then kluber should have been 2. The voter logically concluded that verlander was better due to his peripherals, but then got lazy and just threw Porcello a bone for those wins.

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

I can't see any reasonable argument for having JV lower than fourth on any ballot. Porcello and kluber and JV all had close eras and high innings. Britton had the insane year. I could see putting Britton first and the other three in some order. Or the three with Britton fourth. I can understand giving Porcello the nod due to the wins and the team's success overall. I could see kluber ahead of JV due to Cleveland being good. I at least understand that motivation.

I actually have a bigger problem with how many people put Porcello second behind JV. If a voter liked verlander at 1, then kluber should have been 2. The voter logically concluded that verlander was better due to his peripherals, but then got lazy and just threw Porcello a bone for those wins.

yes.

In defense of the Tampa writers, I guess they could claim they had no idea who Jason Verlander was.  I mean, would any of us have voted for Chris Kluber or Dick Porcello?

16 minutes ago, Casimir said:

In defense of the Tampa writers, I guess they could claim they had no idea who Jason Verlander was.  I mean, would any of us have voted for Chris Kluber or Dick Porcello?

10380730_551986834909826_122987806864837

5778262127901.jpg

Chris Kluber and Dick Procello seem like fine individuals. 

Mike Trout wins the MVP.  Has he proven himself yet or do we have to wait a couple more years? :D

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Mike Trout wins the MVP.  Has he proven himself yet or do we have to wait a couple more years? :D

How many writers voted in April and left him off the ballot? 

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

I'd like to know what type of vermin is sitting atop Dick's head before I agree.

Dick died in July! show some respect. 

14 hours ago, tiger337 said:

2 more years.

14 hours ago, ballmich said:

How many writers voted in April and left him off the ballot? 

Those ballots probably weren't the corrected reprints of the ones that had Mark Trout on them.

Dan Shaughnessy on MLBN right now.  Just mentioned he'd have voted for Verlander over Porcello and that the recent voting has shown some issues in it.