Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

#8 Wisconsin vs. #4 Michigan - 10/1/16

#8 Wisconsin Badgers (4-0)           #4 Michigan Wolverines (4-0)

VV1B0yt.jpg                   vs.                     nHPUn2i.png

October 1st, 2016 @ 3:30 EDT

From Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan

kco4dd3.jpg

TV: aHprMrx.jpg

Dave Flemming (play-by-play), Brian Griese (color) and Todd McShay (sideline) will call the game.

Game Notes

Huh??

Wisconsin isn't that good, so it's not that big of a game. But they may be the best team we have played so far.

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Wisconsin isn't that good, so it's not that big of a game. But they may be the best team we have played so far.

Maybe I have PTSD from RR and Hoke eras, but I am nervous about it. 

Hopefully Don Brown has some blitz packages that ruin this young QB's day.  I think they can stop the run but that kid was dropping some dimes on msu. 

As for our offense, Wilton better be ready for blitzes himself.  I think the running game is ready to take off and that will be huge.

15 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

The line opened at Michigan -10.5 and is still there.  67% of the public money is on Wisconsin right now.

Dantonio will complain this is more evidence of his team still not getting respect.

Wisconsin is the kind of opponent Harbaugh has been trying to make M big enough and strong enough to play against so it will be a good test. OTOH, it took 5 MSU turnovers for Whisky to score 30pts and for all the hoopla about him, Hornibrook's QBR was 56. M will probably have real trouble scoring for the 1st time, but I don't see W putting up that many either.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'm convinced.  Wisconsin is good.

indeed. We may regret Harbaugh not letting Allen attempt those FGs.

8 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The line opened at Michigan -10.5 and is still there.  67% of the public money is on Wisconsin right now.

Been a long time since I have laid money on CFB, but man do I wish this was the weekend I was in Vegas.

The line should be moving towards 13.5.  Wisconsin is starting a freshman QB vs a DL that could be back to full strength with Mone's return.  The ability to rotate in six draft-worthy DL Is going to really wear out the OL, Wisconsin or not.  This may be another game the starting QB gets knocked out.

Michigan also gets Drake Johnson back this week, if he can crack the rotation at the moment.

Michigan would have to implode to not beat that spread.  

Sagarin has Michigan rated at 94.5, third in the country. Some other ranks of note:

OSU 100 - 1

Wisconsin 85 - 15

Colorado 78 - 34

ND 78 - 35

MSU 75 - 42

PSU 73 - 55

• Like 1

I think this game has set up perfectly for Michigan. Wisconsin is a solid team and better than expected, but I think they are getting too much credit for beating LSU and MSU, 2 teams that haven't played well at all.

Which is to say WIS is probably a 20-25ish team but we're gonna get credit for beating a top 10 team if we can do it. And we'll also be motivated to beat a top 10 so that'll also help.

I think this game has set up perfectly for Michigan. Wisconsin is a solid team and better than expected, but I think they are getting too much credit for beating LSU and MSU, 2 teams that haven't played well at all.

Which is to say WIS is probably a 20-25ish team but we're gonna get credit for beating a top 10 team if we can do it. And we'll also be motivated to beat a top 10 so that'll also help.

Agreed. It will look even better if we beat them by 20 points or something.

I always get nervous before bigger games like this, however I do think UM's defense should be able to stop the Badgers'.  Really hoping they get enough pressure on the young QB that the loss of Clark won't hurt as much.

2 hours ago, djhutch said:

I always get nervous before bigger games like this, however I do think UM's defense should be able to stop the Badgers'.  Really hoping they get enough pressure on the young QB that the loss of Clark won't hurt as much.

'Rattlling' the rookie QB is top of the list for both Ds. Wisc strategy  will certainly be to bottle up the run and force the game into Speight's hands. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

'Rattlling' the rookie QB is top of the list for both Ds. Wisc strategy  will certainly be to bottle up the run and force the game into Speight's hands. 

I give Speight the huge advantage here as a guy in his third year at Michigan who has been lucky enough to learn from two transfer QB who were former starters at major programs.  Perhaps it is also an advantage when you room with the best TE in the country.

It is also fair to say he has a huge advantage being in his second year under QB whisperer Jim Harbaugh.

While I do not easily discount how difficult it is to go into Baton Rogue, Hornibrook was not part of that win.  Beating a decent Spartan team at EL is huge, and nobody can take that away from him.  That said, he could be playing in front of the largest crowd in B1G history on Saturday taking snaps behind probably the youngest Badger OL I've ever seen.

Seeing Morris in practice every day makes playing a lefty much less of a novelty, so there's that.

There is no doubt Speight will have to make throws for Michigan to win, but what's true for the Wolverines is also true for the Badgers.  If the kid can weather the storm that is Michigan's pass rush and not get eaten up by one of the best pair of CB in CFB trying to throw the ball, then I'll tip my hat to him--gladly.

• Like 1