PuNk42AE

9/26/2016: Cleveland Indians vs Detroit Tigers - 7:10 PM

35 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Leyland? Again with the deflection. Let's just say we need Billy Martin to whip the boys into playing shape. Lol

You calling someone out for deflecting? Oh my what irony. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yes, managers get fired every year, but not for their in-game strategy,  They usually get fired if they lose the clubhouse or if the owner gets tired of losing and wants a change.  Usually if players respect a manager, he won't get fired.  Also, when there are problems in the clubhouse things usually leak out as with Trammell.  The Tigers seem to get along pretty well and I see no evidence of tension with the manager.  I could see Iliitch wanting a change if they miss the playoffs again though.  

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

Where do you get the fact that most managers have a stop sign.  I thought it was the other way around.  Most guys have the option to run if they like, are strongly told to keep the running at a minimum (unless they are super fast) unless the skip gives the steal sign.  

Do most managers have a sing that tells the runner not to steal?  I always thought it was the other way around and they have a sign to steal, but not a sign not to steal.

Well Sparky had one, JL had one. AFAIK, few guys in the MLB get to run on their own, and ususally only guys at 80% plus success rate (e.g R Davis). The fact that Rajai was allowed to run at will used to be described pretty much as the exception to the rule. 

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

And if he steals second he gets praised for being aggressive and trying to make something happen. 

If he doesn't ever steal, people complain he's too passive and doesn't push the envelope. 

There's a reason why people all over baseball hate their manager. It's because they very rarely get praised. Much like an ump. 

Case and point- this forum. 

Come on, you know the stats against Kluber and Perez. That's not 'being aggressive', that's being stupid. I can get behind taking a certain level of chances, In fact there are a lot of times I think he has been way too passive. In the run scoring swoon we had he had several good squeeze set-ups with speed at third and Iggy or Maybin at the plate and passed. Sure, push to make something happen and force the other team to make a play, but there is always a point were the data tell you that for that situation they are pretty certain to make it and then aggressive just equals "here is a free out"

47 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I agree he is too aggressive with base running.  I was talking more about his pitcher management which I do not think is unusual, especially this year.  

I will stipulate that he has gotten better with his pitcher management. And I am not even saying you have to fire a bad game manager if he brings enough other stuff to the table, but I simply do not believe Brad is not in the bottom half of game managers. Defend extending him for his other contributions and I won't argue it. 

49 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Martin would have gotten them into playoffs this year!  The problem is Fulmer, Norris and Boyd would all miss the next two years after pitching 250 innings apiece.   

And you'd have to keep paying to redo the clubhouse after the brawls.

On 9/29/2016 at 5:57 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Come on, you know the stats against Kluber and Perez. That's not 'being aggressive', that's being stupid. I can get behind taking a certain level of chances, In fact there are a lot of times I think he has been way too passive. In the run scoring swoon we had he had several good squeeze set-ups with speed at third and Iggy or Maybin at the plate and passed. Sure, push to make something happen and force the other team to make a play, but there is always a point were the data tell you that for that situation they are pretty certain to make it and then aggressive just equals "here is a free out"

He is in a bad spot again because you have a team that can't run.... but when your offense is cold/facing a stud pitcher, it's tough to sit back and just swing away and hope for the best. 

You can say make fewer outs on the bases and that's fine. I agree they've made some poor decisions. But I don't think that's a reason to fire him. People can complain about bullpen management.... but yet again. There aren't many options.