Sign in to follow this  
Tenacious D

RIP, Jose Fernandez

Pretty much.

As tragic as this is, this happens everyday to anonymous people, and they end up managing with it as best they can.

His fiancée and unborn child today are quite likely much better off financially than the vast majority of Americans not dealing with a sudden death and loss of income, let alone those who are.

You probably have to go back to Len Bias but I may be forgetting someone

The first one I thought of was Oscar Tavares of the cardinals recently. He was a top prospect and had made his debut.

Nick adenhart of the angels was another I remember.

After a bit of googling, I now remember Sean Taylor and Chris Henry.

None of them were Jose Fernandez level young all stars, but they were all young and very talented and likely to have played at a high level for years.

In hockey, you have to go way back to 1985 when Pelle Lindbergh, reigning Vezina Trophy winner and First Team All-Star, died in a car crash at the age of 26.

Of course Vladdie is a good example of a bona fide star in his prime years who didn't die but whose career was ended and whose life was never the same. He was 30 at the time of the limo crash.

Not even sure Fernandez was in his prime yet....

Some funny things on twitter though.... one guy felt the need to point out he struck out 12 in his final start which is now the most K's in a player's final game in history.... not sure that context is appropriate.  

Ken Rosenthal suggested a new MLB award in his honor... for passion and stuff.  I guess that would be the Latin equivalent to the Hustle award for the white guys.  Now we just need an award for the black guys.

2 hours ago, ballmich said:

But I doubt anyone is throwing $5-10 million into a $50 million kitty to fund a lavish life for his girlfriend and child (and mother etc). $10 million on a $200 million lifetime earnings is 5% (probably closer to 8-9% on after tax basis).  Taht's a lot of money to contribute, despite the fact that it's an enormous tragedy.  Then the family would need to pay tax on the gift as well. 

It was just hyperbole for effect, guys. I wasn't suggesting they are going to reach that amount or anything. I was nearly pointing out guys like Stanton  and Miggy tons of money to throw around and a million bucks to them is nothing. That's it. It wasn't supposed to be a literal example. 

Even if 70 ball players gave one games paycheck, my guess is the total would be quite high. 

A history lesson for some of you young whippersnappers who aren't familiar with Thurman Munson, who died at the age of 32 in a plane crash (within the season) in 1979.  He was ROY in 1970 and won the AL MVP in 1976.  He was a Gold Glover 3x and an All-Star 7x.  He also hit .357 in the postseason.  A borderline Hall of Famer, he finished his shortened career with a .292 avg., 113 HR and 701 RBI.  Not Piazza-like, but outstanding for that era.  And he likely had another 3 years left in him.  His number, 15, was also retired by the Yankee's that year, and his locker was never re-assigned at old Yankee Stadium.

I was 13 when this happened, and it made a tremendous impression on me.  At that time, you could see the Yankees on TV almost as frequently as the Tigers, especially with all of their postseason appearances during the mid-late '70's.  He was my favorite non-Tiger and really the first famous person I can remember dying young (save for a few others like Jim Croce and Freddie Prinze).  While others have passed away during their careers, I don't think we've seen the same impact until now with Jose.

Right now Fernandez is just behind Kershaw in fWAR, considering the time Kershaw missed any chance Jose wins the NL Cy Young?  That would be awesome and sad at the same time. 

On 9/25/2016 at 3:18 PM, Keepleyland2 said:

This is his house

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/files/2014/07/Jose-Fernandez-Top-15-MLB-Mansion-Text.jpg

That's what I meant. If your 24 looking at a healthy $200 million in just a few years, I doubt a lot of that $4.5 million is going into savings. It's going into a house for you, one for your mom. Some cars, some nice vacations, good close for the lady friend. Knowing you can take one quarter of that new contract and put it in a simple saving account and be set for generations. 

A house is savings. Having something to show means if they need money they can sell the house. He didn't blow it on hookers and coke is all I meant. 

16 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

It was just hyperbole for effect, guys. I wasn't suggesting they are going to reach that amount or anything.

You precisely suggested players some players would give 5 or 10M dollars.  You can't honestly be surprised someone would extend your thought to mean a massive fund would be generated with donations like that.

I was nearly pointing out guys like Stanton  and Miggy tons of money to throw around and a million bucks to them is nothing. That's it. It wasn't supposed to be a literal example. 

A million buck is a million bucks any way you slice it.  How many athletes have gone broke who have earned crazy amounts of money? Players are cognizant of that.  I'd say It is presumptuous to assume how anyone views a million dollars in terms of it being a pittance versus something they highly value.

Just for my edification, is one million in this most recent example literal or is it also hyperbole?

Even if 70 ball players gave one games paycheck, my guess is the total would be quite high. 

I doubt 70 players will give a whole paycheck to his partner.  They might struggle to get 70 to do a benefit.

At my work, the company provides life insurance for 3 times my salary as a benefit.  The job I just left had the same benefit.  I am a nobody white collar worker in an ocean of them.

I have to imagine Jose had life insurance for a decent amount through the club and/or MLBPA given I have it at my job.

I also have a good sized life insurance policy to supplement that and it is not expensive.  I'd guess Jose had a financial consultant, and presuming he did, the consultant very likely had him on additional insurance given the low cost paired with a child on the way.

Not to be a dink about it, even if she merely has $1 or 2M to raise this child, that is a great start financially.  While she would have to be careful and probably have to work, it is a much, much better position than that vast majority of people in America and on this board. I don't have a million in net worth, and:

a. I have had a pretty good 20 year career  / been compensated respectably well, 

b. I have invested heavily and reasonably successfully over that timeframe, and

c. I am cheap as ****.

I could see a scenario where the players within that community look after her and the child or children.   That doesn't mean they just throw money at her.  She'll probably have enough money to live off of.  However they could have their attorneys or financial advisors work with her and tell them "Just send me the bill" or whatever.  They could pay for their education or pay off the house... 

Like Tony Soparano looking after Big *****'s wife.... 

What is the lady's situation?  Is she from this country?  Does she speak English?  That could be a factor too.  

I am not sure we'll see VMart over there unplugging the garbage disposal drain.  

Reminds me of hearing about a trend after 9/11.  The firefighters and cops who survived where tasked with looking after the spouses and families of those who didn't.  They were given assignments, I think.  Matched up.  Some ended up leaving their families and marrying the widows.  It was more than 1 that it happened.

An argument with the girlfriend beforehand. That sucks, it was probably a routine argument that we all have from time to time and just needed time to clear his head, but will make people especially the fiancee feel even worse about things.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

At my work, the company provides life insurance for 3 times my salary as a benefit.  The job I just left had the same benefit.  I am a nobody white collar worker in an ocean of them.

I have to imagine Jose had life insurance for a decent amount through the club and/or MLBPA given I have it at my job.

I think 3x is probably at the high end of the spectrum, and I tend to see between 1x and 3x annual salary.

I suspect he had a life insurance policy as well, it's peanuts compared to the salary he was making even as a pre-arb player. And he had a mother and grandmother he wanted to take care of.  However, I could imagine that maybe he hadn't adjusted the policy to account for a child that is expected, as a lot of people do this after birth so maybe he hadn't done that yet (if he in fact had a policy).

The other interesting aspect is that the player contract, or at least those from 2011, includes language that allows the Ball Club to insure the life of their players (both as the teh Policy holder and beneficiary).  The policy can be up to $1 million plus 75 percent of their salary in excess of $1 million, not to exceed $30 million.  Of  course this is not he player's insurance (they are not the beneficary), but I'd imagine it puts the ballclub in a position to help the family in a case like Fernandez, without absorbing a lot of cost.  However, I note that Fernandez was not under contract as an arbitration eligible player, so I don't know how much insurance they would have likely had on him.  

Page 8 of this PDF.

http://www.businessinsider.com/uniform-major-league-baseball-contract-2011-4#-8

Got in an argument with a Cubs fan about Fernandez and the cry young. He was pissed that Fernandez will get more votes now and could win.

I hadn't looked at the nl cy race, but it's close, and Fernandez would have been a legit choice even before his death.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Got in an argument with a Cubs fan about Fernandez and the cry young. He was pissed that Fernandez will get more votes now and could win.

I hadn't looked at the nl cy race, but it's close, and Fernandez would have been a legit choice even before his death.

He is a legit choice for sure, although I think there are a handful of guys who I would slot above him. 

He is a legit choice for sure, although I think there are a handful of guys who I would slot above him. 

Agreed. But he does lead all pitchers in fWAR as of today. And those K numbers are amazing. So he would be a defensible first place vote for sure.