Sign in to follow this  
Tenacious D

RIP, Jose Fernandez

Died this morning in a boating accident.  Was supposed to start today--the Marlins have cancelled the game.

I'm old enough to remember when Thurman Munson passed, and then players like Lyman Bostock and Darryl Kile.  Always tough to see that happen, especially to a young player (only 24) in his prime.

Surely one of the most sickening deaths in baseball to date. So young, so great, pregnant gf/wife... the hardships he faced, prison/being shot at trying to escape cuba... and seemed like such a great guy. Just terrible. 

I remember the Indians boating accident that killed two pitchers.    This is awful.   He was about to become a father.  I hope the Marlins ownership for once does the right thing and gives that family enough to live comfortably.   He would have been a $200 million player

38 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Surely one of the most sickening deaths in baseball to date. So young, so great, pregnant gf/wife... the hardships he faced, prison/being shot at trying to escape cuba... and seemed like such a great guy. Just terrible. 

Yep. This is a crazy story. Not just from the perspective of the human aspect (which is terrible) but when you think about the baseball business aspect (marlins lose a great young pitcher, someone the yanks were going to sign for about a bajillion dollars with Harper, someone that could have been traded for multiple young pieces) it's going to have an impact for years to come in the game.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I hope the Marlins ownership for once does the right thing and gives that family enough to live comfortably.   

If the team doesn't you would have to figure the players/MLBPA would. I mean you have guys like Stanton Miggy making $300 million. Even  if you just take the high end payers (let's say Stanton give $10 million, Miggy $5, Victor $2 etc.) it's not that hard to get up to $50 million. 

Fernandez did make $4.5 million over the last four years.  I'm not sure there is any obligation for the Marlins or MLB to do a lot here.  

Ideally he would have had some life insurance and or saved some money from the last four years.

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

Agreed. I'm stunned. He could have been one of the greats and a real fan favorite while doing so. He seemed to really love life. This is horrible.

He was tight with a lot of players. All the guys living in Miami knew him well. I am sure guys like Miggy and VMart and others will make sure his family will get what they need.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I remember the Indians boating accident that killed two pitchers.    This is awful.   He was about to become a father.  I hope the Marlins ownership for once does the right thing and gives that family enough to live comfortably.   He would have been a $200 million player

There's a lot of negative press associated with Loria and the organization but I've heard some really wonderful things about them as well. For Jose specifically, they arranged to get a 2 year visa so his grandmother could come and watch him play. I don't want to derail this thread with Marlins chatter, though.

Very sad day for baseball.

Hopefully there isn't a lot of people kicking themselves over it in the Marlins clubhouse.  They had pushed him back to start Monday instead of Today to give him another day of rest from his 8inning 1 hitter, and to maybe shut him down for the season if they were completely out of the Wild Card.  So if he was pitching today he probably wouldn't have been on the Boat at that time, but you never know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ballmich said:

Fernandez did make $4.5 million over the last four years.  I'm not sure there is any obligation for the Marlins or MLB to do a lot here.  

Ideally he would have had some life insurance and or saved some money from the last four years.

When you're 24 and on top of the world, I'm not sure you're saving all that much. 

Can't wait for the Willy Wonka meme telling us we don't really care that he died. 

24 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

When you're 24 and on top of the world, I'm not sure you're saving all that much. 

When you come from a deprived nation, I doubt you just waste 4.5MM with nothing to show for it. 

Such terrible news.  One of the games great young players.  In my lifetime I can't remember an athlete of his skill level dying in his prime or about to enter his prime like this.  

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

When you come from a deprived nation, I doubt you just waste 4.5MM with nothing to show for it. 

This is his house

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/files/2014/07/Jose-Fernandez-Top-15-MLB-Mansion-Text.jpg

That's what I meant. If your 24 looking at a healthy $200 million in just a few years, I doubt a lot of that $4.5 million is going into savings. It's going into a house for you, one for your mom. Some cars, some nice vacations, good close for the lady friend. Knowing you can take one quarter of that new contract and put it in a simple saving account and be set for generations. 

5 hours ago, Deadshot said:

There's a lot of negative press associated with Loria and the organization but I've heard some really wonderful things about them as well. For Jose specifically, they arranged to get a 2 year visa so his grandmother could come and watch him play. 

My goodness, this video from 3 years ago of Jose's surprise reunion with his grandmother is almost unwatchable after the events of today. I half-hope his grandmother is no longer alive so she doesn't have to experience this.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31220231/jose-fernandez-reunites-with-his-grandmother

17 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

This is his house

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/files/2014/07/Jose-Fernandez-Top-15-MLB-Mansion-Text.jpg

That's what I meant. If your 24 looking at a healthy $200 million in just a few years, I doubt a lot of that $4.5 million is going into savings. It's going into a house for you, one for your mom. Some cars, some nice vacations, good close for the lady friend. Knowing you can take one quarter of that new contract and put it in a simple saving account and be set for generations. 

....then he has a house to show for it... no?  Not a bad asset to leave your heirs, as they could live in it, or if needed monetize it to meet other needs.

Something like 70% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings.  Even if Jose Fernandez had planned poorly, his relatives probably will be better off than most Americans if put in similar circumstances.  But I absolutely hope that he had a financial planner who helped him set at little bit aside and/or get some insurance.  I would sorta think that this would have been pushed hard by his agent, Scott Boras. 

Regardless, I think the idea that Stanton and Miggy et al will be throwing $5-$10 million each into a fund for his family, is probably a stretch.  The taxes alone on that, would be very punitive. Although it would not surprise me to see them be accomodative in other ways.  

I would guess players, either through the MLBPA or the teams themselves, would have excellent life insurance coverage provided.

I could see the players doing a benefit as well to raise money for his partner and soon to be child.

I have a hard time buying players giving millions of dollars to her.  I've had a co-worker die and nobody gave that individual's spouse $5,000 or something as far as I know.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

This is his house

So, my guess is that the house will be up for sale very soon.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would guess players, either through the MLBPA or the teams themselves, would have excellent life insurance coverage provided.

I could see the players doing a benefit as well to raise money for his partner and soon to be child.

I have a hard time buying players giving millions of dollars to her.  I've had a co-worker die and nobody gave that individual's spouse $5,000 or something as far as I know.

Agreed with this.  A benefit hosted by the players.  A go fund me for Marlins fans to contribute...  I could even see Loria helping out in subtle ways (maybe like adding the girlfriend and child to the Company's healthcare plan for forseeable future, etc). And I could see the players tracking the child over the years, inviting them to the ballpark, making sure certain needs are met (maybe some cash in the pockets when they leave). 

But I doubt anyone is throwing $5-10 million into a $50 million kitty to fund a lavish life for his girlfriend and child (and mother etc). $10 million on a $200 million lifetime earnings is 5% (probably closer to 8-9% on after tax basis).  Taht's a lot of money to contribute, despite the fact that it's an enormous tragedy.  Then the family would need to pay tax on the gift as well. 

21 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Such terrible news.  One of the games great young players.  In my lifetime I can't remember an athlete of his skill level dying in his prime or about to enter his prime like this.  

You probably have to go back to Len Bias but I may be forgetting someone

The house, passing the hat for say $1mm, and some benefits/life insurance package either from MLB or previously arranged through a financial planner and the family will be just fine.