Tigeraholic1

Lions Injury Report

31 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

This.  Levy was all sorts of awful in the game against the Colts.  Slowest player on the field by a mile.  I honestly don't see him playing again this season, and then the Lions cutting him this offseason, as you suggest.

I hope he can come back this year and help them considering how bad their lbs have been (other than the minny game). But i would be real surprised at this point.

I think he'll get cut, thrn find religion and suddenly be healthy, get picked up by another team, and then get hurt again.  Or he'll retire.

Just now, Buddha said:

No, she's an actual neurologist.

Most football players are fine.  The vast majority are fine.

I am not sure how that helps the argument.  If there is a minority that it seriously effected then it's an issue.  And I am less then impressed with the word of one neurologist.  If this were a panel of neurologist and they produced some research and published it, then OK. 

4 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

I am not sure how that helps the argument.  If there is a minority that it seriously effected then it's an issue.  And I am less then impressed with the word of one neurologist.  If this were a panel of neurologist and they produced some research and published it, then OK. 

Because you read a lot of reasearch on head trauma in your spare time? ;)

4 hours ago, Buddha said:

Most football players are fine.  The vast majority are fine.

true but sort of meaningless. Other than war, famine and natural disaster, the dying are always the vast minority - doesn't mean that any of the rest are in a hurry to join the club.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

true but sort of meaningless. Other than war, famine and natural disaster, the dying are always the vast minority - doesn't mean that any of the rest are in a hurry to join the club.

Kind of like that meaningless analogy.

20 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Kind of like that meaningless analogy.

OK - to put it less allegorically: To dismiss the severity of bad things happening because they don't happen to everyone or even happen to few, is bad logic. The overwhelmingly huge majority of Americans don't get murdered every year  - so I guess "we're all fine" and murder is a problem we should stop worrying about.

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

OK - to put it less allegorically: To dismiss the severity of bad things happening because they don't happen to everyone is bad logic.

But if they don't happen to nearly everyone......... 

data is hard

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

But if they don't happen to nearly everyone......... 

data is hard

especially when there are large vested interests working to prevent its collection/dissemination

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

OK - to put it less allegorically: To dismiss the severity of bad things happening because they don't happen to everyone or even happen to few, is bad logic. The overwhelmingly huge majority of Americans don't get murdered every year  - so I guess "we're all fine" and murder is a problem we should stop worrying about.

Data says were safer now than ever and that crime is down all over except for in a few select cities.  BUT SOMEONE GOT ROBBED SO THINGS ARE COMPLETELY GOING TO ****.

Thats cte.  Some football players get this condition.  Most dont. Some who do report having no problems and go on to have productive careers, like frank gifford.

Theres not a ton of research on cte. The fact that the media goes crazy and overplays a story and makes it into THE WORST THING EVER has more to do with the media than the actual facts.

Is cte an issue for football players?  I suppose so.  But its not as big as the media has made it out to be.  Like i said, the vast majority of football players are fine.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

especially when there are large vested interests working to prevent its collection/dissemination

The lying about it by the nfl is a big issue.  

23 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Data says were safer now than ever and that crime is down all over except for in a few select cities.  BUT SOMEONE GOT ROBBED SO THINGS ARE COMPLETELY GOING TO ****.

Thats cte.  Some football players get this condition.  Most dont. Some who do report having no problems and go on to have productive careers, like frank gifford.

Theres not a ton of research on cte. The fact that the media goes crazy and overplays a story and makes it into THE WORST THING EVER has more to do with the media than the actual facts.

Is cte an issue for football players?  I suppose so.  But its not as big as the media has made it out to be.  Like i said, the vast majority of football players are fine.

if you can only 'suppose' that slow death by losing your mind and personality is an issue for people looking at *any* increase in the possibility of the prospect, I don't know how to respond.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

Because you read a lot of reasearch on head trauma in your spare time? ;)

I believe I would surprise you with what I read ?.

I will say this.  There is enough evidence to support being cautious with brain injury in regards to football.  People's lives are ruined in some cases   Just saying, I wouldn't call something like that overblown.  

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

That has nothing to do with what you said though 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

if you can only 'suppose' that slow death by losing your mind and personality is an issue for people looking at *any* increase in the possibility of the prospect, I don't know how to respond.

Its a risk/reward issue is all 

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

That has nothing to do with what you said though 

no, just a related thought that applies to a lot of things generally. The Soviets suppressed genetic research that went against Stalin's thinking, the NRA has effectively suppressed gun death research, drug companies suppress negative research results, tobacco companies suppressed cancer research, lots of antecedents to the general proposition that people with any leverage to do so will try to avoid bad news getting out, but also probably meat for a different thread.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

no, just a related thought that applies to a lot of things generally. The Soviets suppressed genetic research that went against Stalin's thinking, the NRA has effectively suppressed gun death research, drug companies suppress negative research results, tobacco companies suppressed cancer research, lots of antecedents to the general proposition that people with any leverage to do so will try to avoid bad news getting out, but also probably meat for a different thread.

Let's ban football.  And hockey.  And soccer.  And any other sport where the people who play it might get head injuries.

It's the only way to stop these poor unsuspecting stupid players from hurting themselves to make obscene amounts of money.

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Its a risk/reward issue is all 

but even a rational actor in a completely libertarian regime deserves to be able to know and evaluate the risks accurately. A football player perfectly willing to have an artificial knee 10 yrs than he might have otherwise in return for an eight figure return might have a very different response to that deal when the service rendered is the loss of his mind.

I think we should try to improve safety while also not pretending that every football player will be a drooling idiot, every professional wrestler will become chris benoit, every boxer will become Ali at best and so on.

All I wish to add to the discussion is that athletes are only getting bigger, stronger and faster.  As time goes on, I think it self evident the sport will see the trend of more hits (and harder hits) per play.  As such, I think it probable the issue for the sport is going to continue to get worse.

In other words, I think it will become less rare as time goes on.

I think the NFL's efforts to sweep concussion issues under the rug in the past was pretty bad.

But I also think the common narrative about it is overblown. It certainly seems to me that football is painted as overly dangerous. There are dangerous aspects of it, for sure, and they should do everything they can to minimize potential for head trauma. I think they are moving in the right direction.

I would like to see contracts guaranteed for players that suffer a head injury who can no longer play or shouldn't be playing anymore. Give them their money to reduce the potential for players trying to get back on the field. Leave it up to independent panel to decide, and if the player can't play anymore, it doesn't count against the cap, and it's paid from a general fund.

Interestingly enough I just listened to this podcast yesterday about CTE and according to this you don't have to ever be diagnosed with a concussion to develop it.  They were talking about soccer players eventually getting it because of all the headers they do.  The Doctor said that the human brain wasn't designed to take trauma like that and even if you have never been diagnosed with a concussion if you keep taking repeated blows to the head like that you could be prone to CTE.   It could all be a scared tactic but the more I read and listen to about the subject I don't blame players for retiring early or for not getting involved in the sport at all. 

7 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Interestingly enough I just listened to this podcast yesterday about CTE and according to this you don't have to ever be diagnosed with a concussion to develop it.  They were talking about soccer players eventually getting it because of all the headers they do.  The Doctor said that the human brain wasn't designed to take trauma like that and even if you have never been diagnosed with a concussion if you keep taking repeated blows to the head like that you could be prone to CTE.   It could all be a scared tactic but the more I read and listen to about the subject I don't blame players for retiring early or for not getting involved in the sport at all. 

I think it's a legitimate issue, but if this were the case you'd think we would already be seeing legions of soccer players with advanced CTE, and would have been for 50 years. If anything, that's a sport that used to be much more violent and have far more head injuries.

I think it's an issue, but there are a ton of things in society that are legal to do, likely to kill you, and you don't get to go pro and make millions in them. Educate people, make it safer, etc, but at the end of the day it's every human's choice what they want to do to their body.

Yes that was what the Doctor on the podcast I was listening to said.  Before that I was always under the assumption that it was concussion based but evidently not.  Which makes it even scarier for football players because of all the hits they take.