Tigeraholic1

Lions Injury Report

The Levy rumor is he's gonna go after the bye week. Not saying I'm buying it, but its the first time I've heard any info on his return really. 

Bostic and Pettigrew seem like they'll be activated sooner than later. Neither moves the needle a ton, but its depth. Both could be argued as Westbrook, though Bostic is as bad as the rest of our LBs in coverage. 

Lions at Vikings - Week 9 ATI Injury Report

Detroit Lions

POS. NAME INJURY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY STATUS
CB Adairius Barnes Hamstring LP NP    
LB DeAndre Levy Knee/Quad NP NP    
T Riley Reiff Illness NP NP    
DE Ezekiel Ansah Ankle LP LP    
T Taylor Decker Ribs LP LP    
DT Haloti Ngata Shoulder LP LP    
RB Theo Riddick Ankle LP LP    
CB Darius Slay Hamstring LP LP    
WR Marvin Jones Jr. Foot LP FP    
T Corey Robinson Ankle FP FP    

Minnesota Vikings

POS. NAME INJURY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY STATUS
G Alex Boone Concussion/Shoulder/Knee NP NP    
DT Sharrif Floyd Knee NP NP    
LB Eric Kendricks Concussion NP NP    
G Zac Kerin Hand NP NP    
DT Tom Johnson Concussion NP LP    
RB Jerick McKinnon Ankle NP LP    
S Andrew Sendejo Ankle LP LP    
CB Marcus Sherels Wrist LP LP    
LB Anthony Barr Groin LP FP    
LB Audie Cole Finger FP FP    
CB Captain Munnerlyn Foot LP FP    
TE MyCole Pruitt Knee FP FP    
CB Xavier Rhodes Calf LP FP    
WR Jarius Wright Ankle FP FP

Sounds like Riddick, Levy, and Ansah were all still 'limited' though. Naturally Jim Caldwell gave some keen insight into this situation by saying: "We'll see"

response to a follow up question specifically about Levy playing "We'll see"

good stuff

Given Levy's CTE concerns, it seems he really needs to decide 100% if he wants to play in the NFL or just retire. If he's still undecided on the field and plays apprehensively he’s sure to get hurt. Again.

1 hour ago, number20 said:

Given Levy's CTE concerns, it seems he really needs to decide 100% if he wants to play in the NFL or just retire. If he's still undecided on the field and plays apprehensively he’s sure to get hurt. Again.

I didn't even know he had potential CTE concerns. If that's the case, he needs to retire immediately.  He has his whole life ahead of him and needs to prioritize that over football, he made his money already.

As for the other guys coming back from injury, I'd hold them out of the Jacksonville game (Ansah included) especially with it being a short week leading up to the Vikings game.  They "should" be able to handle Jacksonville without them.

24 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I didn't even know he had potential CTE concerns. If that's the case, he needs to retire immediately.  He has his whole life ahead of him and needs to prioritize that over football, he made his money already.

Agreed – I think it's an entirely valid concern. Despite what some fans think about the pile of money he's grabbed (some of which he'd likely have to return if he retires), after watching Kuechly get concussed last night I couldn’t help being reminded how underpaid NFL players are. Of the 4 major sports, NFL has the lowest average salaries despite most players being one hit away from a wheelchair. What NBA and MLB players are paid in comparison is obscene

1 hour ago, number20 said:

Agreed – I think it's an entirely valid concern. Despite what some fans think about the pile of money he's grabbed (some of which he'd likely have to return if he retires), after watching Kuechly get concussed last night I couldn’t help being reminded how underpaid NFL players are. Of the 4 major sports, NFL has the lowest average salaries despite most players being one hit away from a wheelchair. What NBA and MLB players are paid in comparison is obscene

Not that I disagree with your main point, but I think the salary compensation might be skewed a bit given the roster size of NFL teams and the lack of a minor league.  What I mean is this... the Tigers have a 40 man roster, but only 25 are in the majors.  The other 15 probably aren't making major league salaries and probably not included when calculating "average salary."  These are the reserve players that provide the depth any team needs.

But in the NFL, their 53 man "major league" roster provide the depth (along with the very small practice squad).  The "reserve" players who might not be dressed or even if dressed only play in a few ST plays are still counted in the "average salary" calculation I'm sure.

Of course, that's nitpicking and beside the point that these guys are all one hit from serious, life-altering injury.

41 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Not that I disagree with your main point, but I think the salary compensation might be skewed a bit given the roster size of NFL teams and the lack of a minor league.  What I mean is this... the Tigers have a 40 man roster, but only 25 are in the majors.  The other 15 probably aren't making major league salaries and probably not included when calculating "average salary."  These are the reserve players that provide the depth any team needs.

But in the NFL, their 53 man "major league" roster provide the depth (along with the very small practice squad).  The "reserve" players who might not be dressed or even if dressed only play in a few ST plays are still counted in the "average salary" calculation I'm sure.

Of course, that's nitpicking and beside the point that these guys are all one hit from serious, life-altering injury.

Maybe I’m being too parochial (guilty as charged), but yes – my main point is the risk of being a paraplegic just by stepping on the field in this sport doesn’t seem to scale with the pay compared to other major sports

Sat in on a presentation by a neurologist a few weeka ago, said basically that cte is totally overblown and that the vast vast majority of football players are just fine.

not overblown for the guys that have it. In any case that is not much of an epidemiological description. The syndrome will have a certain incidence and severity under a given physical trauma history. It still up to the league to figure out what those numbers are, quantify the risk factors and take the actions needed to protect its players. You could as easily say the risk of mesothelioma is wildly overblown given how many millions of people have worked with and been exposed to asbestos compared to the incidence of the disease,  but you still won't see asbestos exposure protections being dumped anytime soon.

16 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

not overblown for the guys that have it. In any case that is not much of an epidemiological description. The syndrome will have a certain incidence and severity under a given physical trauma history. It still up to the league to figure out what those numbers are, quantify the risk factors and take the actions needed to protect its players. You could as easily say the risk of mesothelioma is wildly overblown given how many millions of people have worked with and been exposed to asbestos compared to the incidence of the disease,  but you still won't see asbestos exposure protections being dumped anytime soon.

If working with asbestos paid millions to people coming from impoverished areas though.....

On 11/20/2016 at 0:55 AM, Buddha said:

Sat in on a presentation by a neurologist a few weeka ago, said basically that cte is totally overblown and that the vast vast majority of football players are just fine.

I'm no medical expert so I can't say with any sort of authority, but my concern with CTE is that, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't any sort of baseline for what "normal" level of CTE are.  Every report I read seems to indicate that CTE is a problem with Football Players... but I never see anything saying: A non-Football player shows level-x of CTE, an average NFL player shows level-y.

I honestly don't know how much CTE is a major issue or not, but it would be very helpful for me at least to be able to judge against a baseline.

On 11/3/2016 at 9:24 AM, Nastradamus said:

The Levy rumor is he's gonna go after the bye week. 

How'd that work out?

Mlive reporting today that levy is almost readt to go....but still not likely to play in new orleans.

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

How'd that work out?

Mlive reporting today that levy is almost readt to go....but still not likely to play in new orleans.

Way to edit me lol

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

How'd that work out?

What the...........

Is it possible that after the injuries Levy just isn't good anymore and the Lions are hoping he'll magically regain his ability to play through further practice? I mean, he's basically been out for 2 full years at this point

I think its likely levy isnt any good anymore.  He wasnt good in the one game he did play this season.

Levy is going to get cut after this year.  Lions need players who want to play football.

47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I think its likely levy isnt any good anymore.  He wasnt good in the one game he did play this season.

Levy is going to get cut after this year.  Lions need players who want to play football.

Quite possible, though he still got like the best coverge grade a Lions LB has received this year, lol. 

I mentioned before, my gut says to cut him, but we save like 1 mil this year by doing it, so it kinda sucks. 

On 11/20/2016 at 0:55 AM, Buddha said:

Was this a doctor recommended by Goodell??  The effects are real, hard to say who it will and won't effect.  But to say it's overblown is a straight up untruth. 

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

This.  Levy was all sorts of awful in the game against the Colts.  Slowest player on the field by a mile.  I honestly don't see him playing again this season, and then the Lions cutting him this offseason, as you suggest.

2 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Quite possible, though he still got like the best coverge grade a Lions LB has received this year, lol.

Which is why you can't trust stats for anything.  He was awful.  The worst thing he did was cover. 

31 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Was this a doctor recommended by Goodell??  The effects are real, hard to say who it will and won't effect.  But to say it's overblown is a straight up untruth. 

No, she's an actual neurologist.

Most football players are fine.  The vast majority are fine.