Tigeraholic1

Lions Injury Report

242 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

What is the downside to telling the truth about his injury? They could end all of the stupid fan chatter simply by saying 'he has a <injury name> sustained in <game/practice/mountain climbing accident> and will be out <time>

It shouldn't be the player's responsibility to risk being fined by the team (which the Lions say they will do to players discussing injuries) and have his agent leak secrets to the press. Just let the team tell the truth and get on with it. There's nothing stopping them from doing it, and zero risk for them to do so, that's not the case for Levy.

And if he was not actually hurt and refused to play, they would absolutely suspend him and stop paying him. If NFL players could just say 'meh, I don't feel like playing any more' and collect their (non guaranteed) millions of dollars, a crapload of guys would be doing that. Not just one Lions linebacker.

Like we all hear about the NFL all the time: there's "hurt" and "injured."  Everyone in the NFL is hurt every week.  It's a brutal sport.  The difference is that most players will play hurt.  I have no doubt that Levy is "hurt."  But I doubt he's "injured" to the point where he couldn't play if he wanted to.  Levy will either retire (take an injury settlement?) or be cut at the end of the season.  If he wanted to play football, he would be playing football.

7 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Why do they care to end fan chatter? 

Exactly.  I doubt either Levy or the Lions care what we collectively think about it.

What is the downside to telling the truth about his injury? They could end all of the stupid fan chatter simply by saying 'he has a sustained in and will be out

Your argument is all over the place. Are you saying you think the team (with a bottom quartile defense) doesn't want to play their All Pro LB, so they are lying about an injury he doesn't really have so they can bench him? Makes no sense.

Also, it makes no sense for the team to report anything more than they have to - as much as fans personally may want them to. It is a disadvantage competitively. It sets the expectation to press that they should pester the coaching staff. It puts the team in a position where they may anger a player by accidentally sharing injury information that harms the player's future earning potential. But it made the press happy. Big deal.

It's Levy's injury. If anyone is going to talk about it, it needs to be him. If he is man enough to take up a role as social critic, he is certainly man enough to say why he isn't playing football.

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

Like we all hear about the NFL all the time: there's "hurt" and "injured."  Everyone in the NFL is hurt every week.  It's a brutal sport.  The difference is that most players will play hurt.  I have no doubt that Levy is "hurt."  But I doubt he's "injured" to the point where he couldn't play if he wanted to.  Levy will either retire (take an injury settlement?) or be cut at the end of the season.  If he wanted to play football, he would be playing football.

Where does this **** come from? Levy is injured, regardless of rumors. He'll be back when he's ready. The speculation is based on nothing. 

2 people like this

When you're fine enough to be all over town doing stuff, yet too injured to show up and do your actual job during the week or play on sunday, people ask questions.

He looked ok riding on the wing of a plane, looked ok climbing mountains, looked ok at social justice events.  

I dont know the man and neither do you (i assume, maybe you do.)  but my gut tells me his heart isnt in it anymore.  Which happens a lot after some folks get paid enough money to live on for the rest of their life.  Theyd rather not work, especially not a dangerous job like playing football.

19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

When you're fine enough to be all over town doing stuff, yet too injured to show up and do your actual job during the week or play on sunday, people ask questions.

He looked ok riding on the wing of a plane, looked ok climbing mountains, looked ok at social justice events.  

I dont know the man and neither do you (i assume, maybe you do.)  but my gut tells me his heart isnt in it anymore.  Which happens a lot after some folks get paid enough money to live on for the rest of their life.  Theyd rather not work, especially not a dangerous job like playing football.

It does seem that way and you very well be right.  But I would hope that being a professional athlete that he has enough competitiveness in him to not quit like that.  I know me personally, I hate losing and looking bad, just like most people that like to compete.  And I'm no where near a pro athlete, I would imagine that you would be even more competitive if you were.  So I just have hard time believing that a pro athlete like Levy would just accept basically looking like a quitter. 

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

WTF are you talking about dude. You can't go out on the town if you can't play football? That just doesn't even come close to making sense. THe plane stuff was in the offseson before last year. He may have gotten injured doing stuff like that, but this is a very strange post. 

5 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

WTF are you talking about dude. You can't go out on the town if you can't play football? That just doesn't even come close to making sense. THe plane stuff was in the offseson before last year. He may have gotten injured doing stuff like that, but this is a very strange post. 

Feel free to disagree, dude.

Of all the stupid stuff i say around here, the fact that a pro athlete might not want to get his brains beat in anymore and isnt really incapable of playing shouldnt be that controversial.

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Of all the stupid stuff i say around here, the fact that a pro athlete might not want to get his brains beat in anymore and isnt really incapable of playing shouldnt be that controversial.

Really I think its just your wild speculations vs others wild speculations coupled with all of us being antsy about whether or not this season could be something....

aka, everyone is hyper-alert

2 minutes ago, hardyaf said:

Really I think its just your wild speculations vs others wild speculations coupled with all of us being antsy about whether or not this season could be something....

aka, everyone is hyper-alert

Its definitely my wild speculation!:)

22 hours ago, Buddha said:

I'm honestly shocked you are getting as much push back for this opinion which, IMO, makes total sense.

The guy had a mysterious quad injury (was still playing late in the game he got hurt but then missed practice the next week) that somehow kept him out 3+ weeks (which is unique in that quad injuries typically don't sideline a player with a desire to play the game for that long) and then after having not practiced for 3+ weeks came down with a knee injury that no one is commenting on.

The guy clearly just doesn't want to play and I also can't blame him, he is set for life assuming he invests wisely...why risk permanent injury when he can sail away into the sunset a multi-millionaire who still has some clout as a former All-Pro NFL player? If the guy still wanted to play he would at least be at the practice facility, just last week or so it was reported he hasn't even been at Allen Park since week one...

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

Feel free to disagree, dude.

lol, fair enough

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

There were a few 9/11 truther moments in your rant that kinda took it to another level, but the above is not controversial. 

If he's not attempting to even practice or rehab, hopefully he is placed on IR, released after the season and I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions go after his bonus in that scenario too. 

49 minutes ago, EchO said:

I'm honestly shocked you are getting as much push back for this opinion which, IMO, makes total sense.

The guy had a mysterious quad injury (was still playing late in the game he got hurt but then missed practice the next week) that somehow kept him out 3+ weeks (which is unique in that quad injuries typically don't sideline a player with a desire to play the game for that long) and then after having not practiced for 3+ weeks came down with a knee injury that no one is commenting on.

The guy clearly just doesn't want to play and I also can't blame him, he is set for life assuming he invests wisely...why risk permanent injury when he can sail away into the sunset a multi-millionaire who still has some clout as a former All-Pro NFL player? If the guy still wanted to play he would at least be at the practice facility, just last week or so it was reported he hasn't even been at Allen Park since week one...

Nastro just likes to yell at me.  :)

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

Nastro just likes to yell at me.  :)

It helps my stress levels

So the Lions are just such a cool organization that they're going to give him an extra 14 million dollars or so not to play ever again? It seems a little unlikely to me. I would wager it's more probable that he stupidly played in week 1 when he wasn't healthy and reinjured himself, and rather than admitting that they're going to play this silly game of him being ready to return any moment now all year again.

16 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

So the Lions are just such a cool organization that they're going to give him an extra 14 million dollars or so not to play ever again? It seems a little unlikely to me. I would wager it's more probable that he stupidly played in week 1 when he wasn't healthy and reinjured himself, and rather than admitting that they're going to play this silly game of him being ready to return any moment now all year again.

Not at all...the Lions NEED Levy. He plays an important position in the worst position group on a terrible defense...if there is any chance at all he comes back the Lions will likely take that chance. As was reported earlier in the season the team doctors had cleared Levy to play, it was his doctors the (allegedly) didn't. It's not like the Lions can force him to play if he feels he isn't ready and he could conceivably not be ready for the rest of the year.

I just think if you look at the totality of the circumstances it looks like he, at the very least, has no desire to play before he and every doctor he can find says he is 100%. 

And maybe he was injured coming into week 1, the only thing that is odd is that he played the entire game, IIRC he was out there on the last few defensive snaps of the game. Then it came out he was injured after not having left the game or practiced, then he was out for a few weeks and it was reported that (allegedly) the team doctors said he was fine but his doctors said he wasn't 100% yet, then shortly after that they added a knee injury to the injury report (even though he hadn't practiced at all). It just all seems odd and by all accounts; if he WANTED to come back he would at least be out there saying SOMETHING...instead its all radio silence when it comes to his injury.

47 minutes ago, EchO said:

It just all seems odd and by all accounts; if he WANTED to come back he would at least be out there saying SOMETHING...instead its all radio silence when it comes to his injury.

so how much does HIPAA figure into this in recent yrs? Seem like under HIPAA a player has the right to tell his team he doesn't want his injury information released and there isn't anything the team can do about it. Or do sports teams get some kind of exemption?

Yes, of course, you would think an athlete who wanted to play would want people to understand why he isn't, but then again, people are strange...

Lions with a nice long 1st Q drive after starting in a hole, but Prater hits the upright. 

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

so how much does HIPAA figure into this in recent yrs? Seem like under HIPAA a player has the right to tell his team he doesn't want his injury information released and there isn't anything the team can do about it. Or do sports teams get some kind of exemption?

Yes, of course, you would think an athlete who wanted to play would want people to understand why he isn't, but then again, people are strange...

I don't deny he has the right to privacy in all facets of his life. I just think, like you mentioned in your last sentence, if he was itching to get back on the field and sport the Honolulu blue he would be coming out to the media and saying, "I'm starting to feel better...I'm definitely progressing and hope to be practicing in "x" amount of weeks and contributing to the success of this team." Instead whenever anyone asked him about it, he said talk to Caldwell who says look at the report.

I think the strangest part is them adding a knee injury after he hadn't practiced in 5+ weeks...that is a really weird addition IMO. 

From Yesterday:

Lions at Vikings - Week 9 ATI Injury Report

Detroit Lions

POS. NAME INJURY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY STATUS
LB DeAndre Levy Knee/Quad NP      
T Riley Reiff Illness NP      
DE Ezekiel Ansah Ankle LP      
CB Adairius Barnes Hamstring LP      
T Taylor Decker Ribs LP      
WR Marvin Jones Jr. Foot LP      
DT Haloti Ngata Shoulder LP      
RB Theo Riddick Ankle LP