Tigeraholic1

Lions Injury Report

242 posts in this topic

I dont really care if the people playing sports get iniured or not.  I would rather they not be injured, but it doesnt really affect me if they are.

I like that football is a violent sport.  I like checking in hockey.  I like knockouts in boxing.  I like seeing physical human competition and sometimes injuries unfortunately happen.

Make the sport as risk free as you can while still maintaining it in a way that remains interesting.  And then, if you dont want to risk the injury, dont play.

Ultimately, it is going to be parents that dictate the flow of athletes into, or away from, football.  The rest is just noise.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I dont really care if the people playing sports get iniured or not.

You and ScrewBall can compare notes on "Bread and Circuses."

:P

7 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I thought that was prostitution?

Most prostitutes don't find ear-biting and facial tattoos acceptable.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Another thing with football players is that a good majority of them don't make a lot. Players like Peyton Manning are set for life but you have a lot of players on a football team who only last a couple years and are special teams players who have to find a career after football. For some reason Zack Follett comes to mind. He played only a couple seasons as a special teamer and had a career ending injury. He certainly didn't make enough to be set for life. Unless I was a star player, I wouldn't want to be a football player. 

and Follett is likely fine going forward too, but he has a free college degree and a few hunded K in the bank by 25. Woe is him though......

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't think this is exactly the case.  They have been doing post-mortems on human brain tissue for 100 years - they know that what they see in CTE brains does not have any kind of normal background incidence except as relates to other unusual cases of early onset dementias.

But how long have they been looking for CTE?  This is far from an sort of proof, but looking at the CTE wiki story and every reference is from 2000 or later except for two.  The VAST majority are 2010 or newer.

This isn't to say that CTE didn't exist prior to 2000 of course, but I would hazard a guess that it wasn't known or understood even remotely like it is today.  It's like the people who say: "We didn't have nearly the number of cancer patients back in the old days like we do now!"  Well, part of that is because we're living longer, but part of that was simply that they didn't know what cancer always was or have the right people to diagnose the issues all the time.

And even today I seriously doubt that anymore than a very, very thin slice of the average population is checked for CTE after death.

To perhaps be a bit extreme... someone who thinks adding fluoride to water results in cancer may check the fluoride level in cancer patients in the US and find the level if much higher than in countries that do not add fluoride.  The obvious conclusion is that the added fluoride here caused the cancer... only that's obviously wrong.  I strongly suspect there's a much, much stronger link between CTE and contact sports.  But what I don't know is how big of a link... and how much does it cause?  Without some sort of baseline for "normal" people it's hard to say how much of what contact sport athletes have in terms of CTE is from the sport itself.  

And what we also don't know is what level of CTE the average football player (or other contact sport player) has. Is there a direct correlation that x-number of games (generally) equal y-level of CTE?  Do we know if some people are just really more likely to suffer from it with (relatively) mild impacts while most can take a pretty decent beating without significantly elevated CTE levels?

48 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

and Follett is likely fine going forward too, but he has a free college degree and a few hunded K in the bank by 25. Woe is him though......

Does he? I really don't know. I doubt he has a few hundred thousand. He only played 17 games in the NFL. Is the NFL going to take care of his medical expenses? I did a quick search and he apparently sued the Lions over a workers comp case. His medical issues aren't going to go away. 

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

But how long have they been looking for CTE?

you are not giving pathologists much credit for what they do. They record the histology they see even if they don't know what it all means at the time, and that is accessible in records for today's researchers. There are lots of old slide preps saved in tissue 'libraries' where they can be rechecked for new findings. There is a lot that can be known as long as someone is willing to foot the bill for the research or just as importantly, as long as people are not actively blocking the possibility of the research being done or harassing the people trying to do it.

8 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Most prostitutes don't find ear-biting and facial tattoos acceptable.

Youre seeing the wrong prostitutes.

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You and ScrewBall can compare notes on "Bread and Circuses."

:P

Meh.  I can admit it doesnt really bother me and wont prevent me from watching.  I'll let other people publicly wring their hands and pretend to care all the while watching the sport and loving it. :P

The picture of commodus was a little low but i expect nothing less from bigglesworth! :)

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

you are not giving pathologists much credit for what they do. They record the histology they see even if they don't know what it all means at the time, and that is accessible in records for today's researchers. There are lots of old slide preps saved in tissue 'libraries' where they can be rechecked for new findings. There is a lot that can be known as long as someone is willing to foot the bill for the research or just as importantly, as long as people are not actively blocking the possibility of the research being done or harassing the people trying to do it.

Perhaps I am... but you'd need more than just the samples, wouldn't you?  Wouldn't you also need to know details about the individual's life?  Now, obviously we could get at least bit more history of CTE by looking back at old samples... we'd get a better idea of how common it might be, but without info about the individuals it'd be harder to draw too many conclusions between things like how many times the individual bonked his/her head or not.

I remember from reading the (relatively) recent biography on Cobb that fist fights were much more common among boys back in the early 1900s... and in fact at least encouraged by some psycologists back in the day.  It think given the changing times it's reasonable to assume that there was more contact "sport" among kids 100 years ago.  This might skew older samples to make it look like CTE was more common.  Obviously I'm not the only one who would think of such things and pathologists would likely try to take things like this into account when building any sort of history.  But my point is that a lot of unknowns about the individual could easily skew the results of any historical collection of data.

19 hours ago, Shelton said:

What does that have to do with CTE?

Travis Swanson probably has it now

Lions at Cowboys - Week 16 ATI Injury Report

Detroit Lions

POS. NAME INJURY THURSDAY FRIDAY SATURDAY STATUS
RB Theo Riddick Wrist NP NP    
CB Darius Slay Hamstring NP NP    
C Travis Swanson Concussion NP NP    
DE Ezekiel Ansah Shoulder LP LP    
LB DeAndre Levy Knee LP LP    
S Rafael Bush Back LP FP