Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

No huddle offense will depend on opponent/situation

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/09/12/detroit-lions-no-huddle-offense/90270478/

But coach Jim Caldwell today was cagey about how often he will employ the tactic.

“It’s different with every game,” he said. “There’s some games you may not see us huddle at all, and there’s some games you’re going to see us huddle all the time. So it just kind of depends on the situation and who we’re playing.”

For the most part I liked the play calling and thought the offense did a decent job.  There were some really good plays and the offense really seemed to dictate the tempo and the plan against the Colt's defense.  Obviously this is one game against a defense that isn't know to be particularly strong and was also injury depleted.  Still, it was a nice job by the Lions.

And I love that Caldwell is being "cagey." I like that there is a mix of huddling and no-huddling.  I also like that it seems Stafford is getting more responsibility to call plays or audible out of them and most of the time when we saw him obviously audibling (is that a word?) to a different play, it seemed to work.

Matthew has ran the two  minute drill pretty good through the years. It seems like he marches down the field several times a season with little time on the clock. A fast offense may work but if the offense is struggling, it just gives the ball back to the other team too quickly. Remember Fontes firing June Jones and saying we were scoring TOO quickly? With our horrible defense, I can see that being an issue. But it's good to have that plan in your back pocket to scare other teams.

I wonder what Stafford's splits in no huddle because it certainly seems like he is really good in it.   I personally wouldn't worry about scoring too quickly, I'd rather score in 1 minute than punt in 10 minutes. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2016 at 8:48 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder what Stafford's splits in no huddle because it certainly seems like he is really good in it.   I personally wouldn't worry about scoring too quickly, I'd rather score in 1 minute than punt in 10 minutes. 

97.3% of the time, I agree.  But there are instances, rare though they might be, where it's better to punt in 10.  But again, that's the unusual, not the norm and the coaches should be able to adapt on the fly for those instances.