RedRamage

Ebron Tracker

117 posts in this topic

"Elite" is not a word I'd use for one of the worst blocking tight ends in football. He might be coming around finally as a pure pass catching TE (we'll see), but the elite ones can do it all. Not to mention stay on the field

1 person likes this

Well, another crappy game for Ebron. I will admit he has improved as a route runner and (slightly) at catching the ball, but here's my thought:

We're supposed to accept his inability to block because he's a "wide receiver at tight end" and an "elite athlete" and so on, well when is the last time he did something athletic? When was the last time he broke a huge play with his speed or ability to make people miss? When did he run over a defender? Every game he makes a catch, tries to jump over the defender, and goes down at first contact.

Then you watch players with far less supposed natural ability than him making big plays all over the league. Tampa Bay's tight end just made a touchdown catch vs Dallas that Ebron wouldn't make in a million years. If Ebron hadn't been a first round pick, would there be any reason to think that he's good?

I mean...he's still really young, and he's had injury issues. I'm certainly willing to concede that he could still improve greatly, but at some point it would be nice to at least see flashes of his athletic ability.

Were all excited that our top 10 draft pick has suddenly become "ok."

Huzzah.

I don't really get this thread. I think no one here liked the Ebron pick. That said, he is a pretty "decent" player. He's not worthy of where he was drafted, but we have moved on from that regime already. 

Let's settle this... who disagrees with the following:

Ebron: ceiling is a top 5 TE. floor is a top 20 TE. Didn't deserve a first round pick, but most teams would probably love to have him.

Millen: Drafted him poorly. Had mixed success in the draft, pobably got lucky occasionally but was overall not very good.

I guess I don't get why we have so much discussion over him. Do people really judge him on his draft position still? It's hard to understand a 1 sided argument.

Did anyone see Cameron Brate last night? TE for TB? Five catches for 73 yards. One TD where he went up strong between two defenders and muscled out a catch. 6'5", 235.

Undrafted out of Harvard.

8 hours ago, hardyaf said:

I don't really get this thread. I think no one here liked the Ebron pick. That said, he is a pretty "decent" player. He's not worthy of where he was drafted, but we have moved on from that regime already. 

Ebron: ceiling is a top 5 TE. floor is a top 20 TE. Didn't deserve a first round pick, but most teams would probably love to have him.

Millen: Drafted him poorly. Had mixed success in the draft, pobably got lucky occasionally but was overall not very good.

I guess I don't get why we have so much discussion over him. Do people really judge him on his draft position still? It's hard to understand a 1 sided argument.

I think you are overstating his floor at the moment. It's only his age and the flashes in good games he's had that make even reaching that level seem possible.

Current NFL ranks: Tied for 15th in receptions, 13th in yards, tied for 37th in touchdowns, 13th most drops in the NFL (all players, not just tight ends)

Given that he also can't block...20th might be realistic. Still, I would say the 20th best starting TE in the NFL is basically a slightly above replacement level player. That puts him in the bottom half, maybe even bottom third, of players just at his position.

The only ones left defending the pick are the Slappies. The Lions didn't just pass on an all-world DT for Ebron, they also took him over Beckham. Of the two, who showed up to play yesterday?

I think we probably know what we have in Ebron in his "3rd year tight end breakout season". When he manages to hang onto a ball, just blow on him and he falls over. I don't really care at this point where he was drafted – yesterday should've been a big game for him, one the Lions desperately needed out of their starting TE. The Giants were supposed to be vulnerable at LB. After talking up Sunday's "homecoming game", the Lions get 36 yards and a drop. His mouth is always bigger than his game. If most teams would probably love to have him, then trade him. Would LOVE to see him go

I defended Ebron to the 9.  And that dude ******* blows. 

He hasn't one ounce of effort in his body.  3 times yesterday a drive was killed because he dropped it or caught the ball at the sticks and didn't try to get the first down.  He gives nothing extra.  I am OK trading for Aaron Donald now. 

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Were all excited that our top 10 draft pick has suddenly become "ok."

Huzzah.

Nobody is excited about that

10 hours ago, hardyaf said:

I suppose the thread is about the fact that he is a clear bust as a top 10 pick, but he's still an interesting player to watch develop as like you say, he has the potential to be top 5 at his position. How many guys can we say that about on this team? 5?

MIllen didn't draft him btw ;)

He's been bad the last few games and mentally he clearly still has a lot of growing to do. That said, he has shown flashes this year of being a pretty impactful pass game target for us. 

Ready to see this board hate me with an unseen passion? I wouldn't mind if we drafted Jake **** to complement him. 

1 minute ago, Nastradamus said:

I suppose the thread is about the fact that he is a clear bust as a top 10 pick, but he's still an interesting player to watch develop as like you say, he has the potential to be top 5 at his position. How many guys can we say that about on this team? 5?

He's been bad the last few games and mentally he clearly still has a lot of growing to do. That said, he has shown flashes this year of being a pretty impactful pass game target for us. 

Ready to see this board hate me with an unseen passion? I wouldn't mind if we drafted Jake **** to complement him. 

Jake **** actually has good hands so that would be fine. (not in the first round though)

Just now, pyrotigers said:

Jake **** actually has good hands so that would be fine. (not in the first round though)

He's also called the best run blocking TE in this draft, at least among those who have any pass catching potential

9 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

For some reason I constantly mix up the terrible decisions made by Millen/Mayhew. It's all the same era.

Even tp has jumped off the ebron ship.

No more norman around to defend every move mayhew made.

I guess that just leaves cruzer as captain of the honolulu blue and sliver kool aid brigade when it comes to ebron.

22 hours ago, hardyaf said:

For some reason I constantly mix up the terrible decisions made by Millen/Mayhew. It's all the same era.

I think that's a bit of a disservice to Mayhew... sure, he wasn't great, but he was just a run-of-the-mill bad GM... he did something well, but over all made more mistakes than good moves.

Millen was historically bad though... I mean REALLY, REALLY bad.  He was a whole 'nother left of suck-titude.

1 person likes this

The point of this thread, for those asking, was simply to have one location to discuss Ebron over the year.  I figured one way or another he was going to be a topic of conversation so instead of having the same discussion week after week in the various game threads, I thought I'd just make one thread for Ebron discussion.

On a side note, I do like our earlier conversation where we tried to separate the player from the pick a little bit.  I don't think there is anyone who defends Ebron as a pick where he was taken.  But that's on Mayhew, not Ebron.  It's certainly fair to talk about this when talking about the player... I'm not saying we can't mention that he's not performing like he should for where he was taken.  

But we (or, really the front office) should also evaluate Ebron as a player and decide if he's still making contributions to the team vs. other options.

So yeah... Ebron does not look like he's going to live up to his pick at all.  But what other options do we have right now?  What other options will we have in the off season?