Sign in to follow this  
PuNk42AE

9/9/2016: Baltimore Orioles vs Detroit Tigers - 7:10 PM

These back and forth games are so much fun when they win.  There have been a lot of them lately.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

Big win. K-Rod has definitely completely turned into Todd Jones or Jose Valverde, but whatever, at least they won

Cause several guys got on base tonight? 

I fail to see how he's turned into Todd Jones or Valverde. Nobody got on base. He was three-up three down. Oh he gave a long out. Guess what so does Kimbrall. 

I'd just about given up on Victor, when all of a sudden, out of the blue, he turns on one, squares it up, and hits a monster shot.  Has he emerged from a slump, or was it just an isolated success?  We can only hope, of course, but Lord knows we need his offense down the stretch -- Miggy's too, for that matter.

All I know is we do not want any part of Baltimore's closer. Need to score early and often the rest of this series. Big, big win. I have been thinking it was about time to bench victor, because the guy has just literally been an inning killer for weeks. But that was big. 

10 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Cause several guys got on base tonight? 

I fail to see how he's turned into Todd Jones or Valverde. Nobody got on base. He was three-up three down. Oh he gave a long out. Guess what so does Kimbrall. 

Because he went to two three ball counts and can't strike anyone out anymore?

He has 10 strikeouts and 8 walks in 15 appearances since August 1st. For a closer I consider that a big concern.

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

If Vmart doesn't produce in September there will not be an October.  Unless they realize he's hurt and put in someone else (Moya?)

HUZZAH!

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

He has 10 strikeouts and 8 walks in 15 appearances since August 1st. For a closer I consider that a big concern.

KRod is what he is. He's a cheap closer that was acquired cheaply and has performed as expected or better than expected. Any complaints are nitty at this point, IMO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, robgrave said:

I'd just about given up on Victor, when all of a sudden, out of the blue, he turns on one, squares it up, and hits a monster shot.  Has he emerged from a slump, or was it just an isolated success?  We can only hope, of course, but Lord knows we need his offense down the stretch -- Miggy's too, for that matter.

Miggy and VMart were both kinda wasting opportunities until the VClutch moment. Gausman has been pitching well tho.

I was happy to see Kinsler and Maybin on base. Get men on base with Miggy/Victor/JD/JUp/(Casty) coming up and good things will happen.

This isn't a comfortable kinds of lazy stretch September where we nurse a lead.  This is where we have to take wins from the other contenders for the prize.  Hard on the heart.  

5 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

KRod is what he is. He's a cheap closer that was acquired cheaply and has performed as expected or better than expected. Any complaints are nitty at this point, IMO.

This. 

49 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Weak contact is a skill a closer can get away with. He's the one guy who almost never enters the game with runners on base. It's obviously a concern, but less so than if he were a 6/7/8 guy, IMO. 

These see-saw battles are so great when you win them.  This was huge, because it's hard to be optimistic when Zimmermann is tomorrow's starter.  Best of luck to him but winning a Zimmermann start right now would feel even better than winning a Pelfrey start.  Fingers crossed.

Just looking at the standings now, all the good teams are winning lately except the Blue Jays - they're 3 and 7 for their last 10, and have a chance to miss the playoffs now.