PuNk42AE

9/7/2016: Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox - 2:10 PM

It's a MLB bullpen, this stuff happens.

JWil blows Friday's game in KC, Greene bails him out, then KRod blows it and then Wade Davis blows it.

AWil blows it in Sunday's game and then Greene finishes off the 7th/8th and Upton bails them out.

Today Greene blows it and JWil catches some tough luck and Lowe pitches well.

It doesn't have to make sense.

2 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I just don't understand why most managers refuse to let effective relievers go multiple innings in close games. It's not as if this is some new school thinking, it was basic conventional wisdom to leave an effective pitcher in the game for about 120 years

Basically Tony La Russa should be banished from MLB forever

I used to like it when relievers were real men.  

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

I used to like it when relievers were real men.  

I'll take the girl from that movie if she can get an out

Hey at least we can follow tonights Cleveland Houston game and not really know which team to root for.

And we get to do it again tomorrow.

observations

Expanded rosters have not helped Brad Ausmus.  He was better managing with limited resources.  This is of course a total over react to the WS series.   Still seems like he's putting the wrong mice in the maze at the wrong times the last few days.  

5 minutes ago, robgrave said:

Playoff competition with this bullpen?  Lotsa luck, folks.

Today's bullpen yes.  

Middle of a super tight playoff race down the closing stretch and they get shutout last night -- and then follow that up with a blown lead late. All against a White Sox team with absolutely nothing to play for.

It's hard to take this team very seriously with sh*t like this.

Tough loss and hard to blame Ausmus but as many posters point out maybe its better to just let relievers continue to pitch if they are going well that day even if it means you can't use them the next day. But as this race goes down to the wire and stress builds I bet Ausmus will manage even closer to the "book" and that means assigned innings and results be ******.

Middle of a super tight playoff race down the closing stretch and they get shutout last night -- and then follow that up with a blown lead late. All against a White Sox team with absolutely nothing to play for.

It's hard to take this team very seriously with sh*t like this.

The rays have nothing to play for either and they battled back all day to beat the Orioles.

7 minutes ago, Shelton said:

The rays have nothing to play for either and they battled back all day to beat the Orioles.

Difference is they won their series. 

I'm not expecting a sweep just because the White Sox aren't playing for anything. It's hard to sweep anyone in the majors, not to mention a division rival in their park. But losing a series like this in the middle of a heated wildcard race...not good. 

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

I just don't understand why most managers refuse to let effective relievers go multiple innings in close games. It's not as if this is some new school thinking, it was basic conventional wisdom to leave an effective pitcher in the game for about 120 years

Basically Tony La Russa should be banished from MLB forever

It's almost as if the bullpen had to be used today because they were rested yesterday and will be rested tomorrow.

I can somewhat understand Rondon not going multiple innings because he hasn't done that much.  On the other hand, if he threw only 7 pitches in his inning, he's probably got a few more pitches left in the chamber.

There's no reason to think WilsonA can't got multiple innings unless he's pitching shaky.  In that event, he won't go more than one anyway.

But, yes, all of this bullpen specialization his made managers dumb robots.  The modern day bullpen is just horse ****. 

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

That loss just about does away with our margin for error going forward.  

For the division?  I'm not sure they really had much of a chance anyway.  Everybody claims that if they shave a few games off and take 5 of 7 from Cleveland,....  Well, yes, sure, if.  But the odds of that happening are pretty remote.

They are still in the mosh pit for the wild card and they still control their own destiny for the most part.

2 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Tough loss and hard to blame Ausmus but as many posters point out maybe its better to just let relievers continue to pitch if they are going well that day even if it means you can't use them the next day. But as this race goes down to the wire and stress builds I bet Ausmus will manage even closer to the "book" and that means assigned innings and results be ******.

I hate the way the bullpen was used today, but it's the way most managers would use it.  So I don't know if that's something to hold against Ausmus or not.  I think it is, but the establishment would've used the similar protocol.

4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He has looked helpless in those 6 at bats.  McGehee is terrible too. They have a problem at 3B

The hot corner is a hot mess.  I don't know what they do going forward.  Romine and Aybar are probably the best bets because they can offer defense.  Nobody really brings a bat to the position.  Sure, Jones has potential, but I find it difficult to believe he's ready to offer any offense right now.

4 hours ago, roarintiger1 said:

Two plays in this inning that Romine might have made at third base. He has much better range than McGehee.  Ausmus not using him as defensive replacement has killed the Tigers and probably cost them this game.

I'm not sure why everyone is blaming the bullpen solely for this loss.    I put as much blame over the lack of putting your best fielders in the game in the late innings. Ausmus has done it all year replacing Nick at third.......why not today?  Those two balls hit past McGehee might have been fielded by a quicker, more athletic fielding thirdbaseman.  Watch the replay of these two hits. Romine, Aybar and even Jones would've had a better chance at fielding those balls and would've bailed the bullpen out.