Sign in to follow this  
PuNk42AE

9/5/2016: Detroit Tigers vs Chicago White Sox - 4:10 PM

Gentlemen (and ladies)...not time for champagne, but definitely time for a post-game beer to celebrate this one.  

We can bemoan the fact that the Indians seem to be living a charmed life this season, but the Tigers have been pulling out a lot of tossups themselves lately.

5 behind Cleveland, 2 behind Toronto, 1 behind Ottawa, tied with Baltimore, 2.5 up on Houston (but I hope back down to 2.0 up by end of night), 3.5 up on NYY, 5 up on Seattle.

By the way, just realized August 22nd was the 10th anniversary of my joining the board. Wonder how many of us signed up in the summer of '06, I bet a fair number.

So, the Cleveland game is already a bullpen game.  What happened to their starter or was it just planned that way? 

JP Morose(i):  Justin Upton seeing the ball well, Part II: He has as many HR to right or right-center in the last two days (2) as he had all season long.

Upton is as hot as it gets right now. Quite a run he is on. we shouldn't expect it to go on forever, but we will certainly take whatever we get.

K Rod...yikes. I think the guy might need two straight days off to clear his head a bit. Need him going on all cylinders again if we are making a run. He's been channeling his inner Todd Jones lately. 

9 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

So, the Cleveland game is already a bullpen game.  What happened to their starter or was it just planned that way? 

Looks like it was planned so they could give Tomlin extra time to fix his poor pitching issues (11.48 ERA in 6 August starts).

12 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Upton is as hot as it gets right now..

good thing because Victor looks like he could use a few days off.

36 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

By the way, just realized August 22nd was the 10th anniversary of my joining the board. Wonder how many of us signed up in the summer of '06, I bet a fair number.

I joined in 2005, I think.

Upton's HR was amazing. There's a clutch HR, to say the least. Hard to believe it's the same struggling player from earlier this year. 

I noticed not many Chicagoans decided to Holiday at the southside ballpark today. WSI's post game thread has exactly 3 posts. Sox seem to have lost their fans even for a Sale start. Not good news for Mr Reinsdorf.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Verlander's ERA is 3.28, Rondon's is 3.46.  Both have a WHIP of 1.

Rondon has really impressed me this season.  I was ready to write him off as a lost cause.  Maybe his early vacation last season helped him out?  Maybe it's just finally harnessing his stuff at a still young age?  Maybe he's now a pitcher rather than a thrower?

The Detroit Tigers are closer to the AL East leader than the AL Central leader.  

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Justin UPton

We were going for a walk in the hood and I realized I had my phone with me.  Turned the broadcast on right as the pitch was being delivered.  I got yelled at by my wife for cheering too loudly.  Whatevz.

48 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I joined up after the hot first of the season start in 2004. I was very very optimistic. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

What I dig about his calls is that you have time to run up to a neighbor's house, tell them to turn the game on, get back to sidewalk to continue your trek with your family, call the shot along with Dickerson, tell your kids to look at that shot go, stop at another neighbor's house, walk in and turn the TV on for them and grab a beer on your way out, and then hear the finality of the call as you cross to another block.

OK, maybe I overly dramatized it a bit.  But I dig that you can literally see the path of the ball in your mind's eye and tell anyone with earshot to look at the ball going out of the park.

11 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I noticed not many Chicagoans decided to Holiday at the southside ballpark today. WSI's post game thread has exactly 3 posts. Sox seem to have lost their fans even for a Sale start. Not good news for Mr Reinsdorf.

Took the L from the south side to the north side?

Kristin Keith is saying that Zimmerman had a good start today for Toledo.  Is she aware of what constitutes good?   I think some of us lads might have a chance with a pretty girl who is so lacking in discernment 

Just think...this time next week many of us will be grinding our teeth about a Lions game.