Sign in to follow this  
PuNk42AE

9/3/2016: Detroit Tigers vs Kansas City Royals - 7:15 PM

Royals know Fulmer is throwing a lot of sinkers and you can bunt a sinker. McCann and Fulmer could/should have taken that into account with Dyson. Royals won the game within the game there.

I hate sounding like a dumb old retired player announcer and all, but this is definitely a game where Fullmer has dramatically outpitched Ventura except for ~situational hitting~

Just now, roarintiger1 said:

Another walk..........and yet, another swing at the first pitch by Kinsler.     Are these guys really that slow at learning?

yeah - other than maybe three guys, you the Tigers just don't impress you as having the same kind of game smarts as the royals. We may be be a better team talent wise but the Tigers are a brute force team, they don't win by adjusting and exploiting other teams' weaknesses.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah - other than maybe three guys, you the Tigers just don't impress you as having the same kind of game smarts as the royals. We may be be a better team talent wise but the Tigers are a brute force team, they don't win by adjusting and exploiting other teams' weaknesses.

Agreed.     This my friend, is a direct result of the manager...............................

now a walk to JD and Upton with another bad AB....

...lets' hope not.

well, JD didin't walk......

that was a huge inning for KC. If they pitch well now they don't have to face the heart of the order again.

33 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm not sure how the Tigers are weak at handling speed -- weaker, that is, than other teams.  Those two consecutive bunts would have been successful against just about any defense.

31 minutes ago, roarintiger1 said:

Agreed.     This my friend, is a direct result of the manager...............................

How so?

18 minutes ago, robgrave said:

I'm not sure how the Tigers are weak at handling speed -- weaker, that is, than other teams.  Those two consecutive bunts would have been successful against just about any defense.

How so?

the miss for the Tigers was was not thinking to defend against the bunt in the pitch selection against either of two hitters for whom the bunt was a good play. Mondesi esp had been scuffling at swinging the bat. But young catcher, young pitcher. One of the things you hope your catcher learns to do is guess ahead of hitters a little - avoid letting your pitcher or pattern get predictable.

The Royals may have executed anyway, but a 4 seamer up and in on the 1st pitch would have shown you what they were doing and been a lot harder to bunt.

I  think using Lowe here is a good move. This game is is too likely a loss to waste another good arm on, save the BP for tomorrow. And he he does get out of it it's gravy.

• Like 1

One thing Alex was so good at was not giving away location - in fact half the time Alex didn't even put down a target before the pitcher was in his delivery.