Sign in to follow this  
Mr.TaterSalad

So Long JLA: 2016-2017 Predictions Thread

1 minute ago, DennisDubay said:

Johan Franzen continues to cash paychecks without working.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

1 minute ago, Walt said:

1 minute ago, Walt said:

I've tried it. I failed. :(

13 minutes ago, DennisDubay said:

Johan Franzen continues to cash paychecks without working.

As he should, no reason to mess up his brain even more and no reason to give the Wings a recapture penalty by retiring.  Let the insurance pay him out until the contract is up.

Also he's been seen helping run pre-pre-season practices so he appears to be involved still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Frk is ****. Jensen is ****. Pulkinen is ****. Jurco is ****. Jarnkrok and Janmark are one smidgen above **** and Nestrasil and Ferraro are all pretty much ****. Sproul and XO are likely going to be ****.  Trading all of them for their market values, say a 7th round pick, is hardly worth the effort to do the paperwork, as 99% of 7th round picks turn out to be ****.

Virtually all NHL prospects are ****, and almost all 2nd rounders are ****. Look at the 2nd rounders from Frk's draft year - **** **** ****.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

Glendening is **** so I wish we hadn't extended him.

AA and Mantha are likely to be decent, but may end up being just a bit better than ****. 

Ott and Miller have successfully forged long-time NHL careers and have roles. If they're done, they can be dumped after this year.

The Wings aren't a very good team, and Holland isn't much of a GM any more, they should make more trades and sign fewer extensions. But to say they don't give young players a chance is ridiculous. The roster is filled with home-grown players including those under 30 who were given a chance in their early 20s.  Abdelkader was given a chance and took it. Glendening was given a chance and took it.  Jurco was given a chance but blew it. Pulkinen was given a chance but blew it. Tatar was given a chance and took it and now people want to dump him. Nyquist was given a chance and took and now people want to dump him. DeKeyser was given a chance and took it.Larkin was given a chance and took it.  Sheahan was given a chance and took it.  Mrazek was given a chance and took it. Marchenko was given a chance and took it. 

Agreed. I think there's been some over-hyping of the Red Wings prospects the past years. Not with the top end guys but with some of the depth guys. Frk was their #16 prospect according to HF, he's worse than Jurco, Pulk, Glendening, Ferraro, Nisterall (sp?).....and the beat goes on.

The reason these guys are cut is because they're AAAA players. The reason they got something for Jarnkrok and Janmark is because they're just a bit better. You can deal them and cash in their meager value, or you can wait and lose them for nothing if/when they don't develop further.

I think right now they have 7 or 8 guys in their system (counting AA and Mantha) that could potentially be good NHL players, if things go well. Frk and Pulk are not on that list.

That said, if AA and Mantha don't play a lot of NHL minutes this year, the team better be winning.

On 8/30/2016 at 10:32 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

“I think if you expect Cups, you're in the wrong league,” - Ken Holland

Red Wings 2016-2017 Schedule

I think that's a pretty ****ty thing to say to a fan base, but it does hold a kernel of truth: the NHL is the biggest crapshoot of a sport that there is, on and off the ice.

On the ice, you seem about as likely to score on a breakaway as you are on a wrist shot from the point with a screen in front. A hot goalie can change a series and a season.

Off the ice, the salary cap and the roster restrictions make it difficult to have sustained success.

And of course this is reflected in the playoffs where you have a team (2011-12) that finished 14th out of 30 teams in an 82 game regular season win the cup rather easily.

But yeah, Ken Holland is not a difference maker, and Blashill didn't show much his first season either. I'm certainly not enthusiastic about upcoming season either.

Agreed. The NBA or NFL or even MLB can give a few select teams a virtual guarantee to end up in the final 8 of the playoffs before the season even starts. I think that's a lot harder to do in the NHL these days.

That's not to say you can't build a good team in the NHL that will have a good chance to go far in the playoffs.

The NHL playoffs are probably the biggest crapshoot of all the major sports playoffs, though.

Pulkinen gone to the Wild. Again, no big deal. The Wings gave Pulkinen chances after his big AHL season. Would have been silly to trade him then, without knowing his potential. He's now 24, a known commodity. They maybe could have got a 7th round pick for him. I don't see much of a difference between a 7th round pick and "losing him for nothing". The latest HFBoards buzzphrase "asset management" doesn't mean much to me in this case.

Kind of telling that no non-playoff teams from last year put a claim on him.  I wonder if anybody besides the Wild put in a claim.

To reply to Shelton (I get an internal server error message when trying to Quote), I'd rank the crapshoots from least to most as follows:

4. NBA - If you're a conference's #1 seed, it's virtually certain you'll make it at least to the conference finals

3. NFL -  It's the knockout games format makes it something of a crapshoot. Over the course of a 5 game or 7 game series, I think the better NFL team would win in almost cases.

2. NHL -  1st round is somewhat of a crapshoot, as teams make major adjustments to intensity levels and strategies between the regular season and playoffs. Sudden-death OT and the relatively unimportance of home ice increase the crapshootness. Things seem to settle down by the 2nd round, you rarely fluke your way to a Stanley Cup

1. MLB - Biggest crapshoot IMO. Best of 5 opening round rather than best of 7, to what extent your pitching rotation was lined up going in, getting on a roll or into a slump playing nearly every day.

6 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

To reply to Shelton (I get an internal server error message when trying to Quote), I'd rank the crapshoots from least to most as follows:

4. NBA - If you're a conference's #1 seed, it's virtually certain you'll make it at least to the conference finals

3. NFL -  It's the knockout games format makes it something of a crapshoot. Over the course of a 5 game or 7 game series, I think the better NFL team would win in almost cases.

2. NHL -  1st round is somewhat of a crapshoot, as teams make major adjustments to intensity levels and strategies between the regular season and playoffs. Sudden-death OT and the relatively unimportance of home ice increase the crapshootness. Things seem to settle down by the 2nd round, you rarely fluke your way to a Stanley Cup

1. MLB - Biggest crapshoot IMO. Best of 5 opening round rather than best of 7, to what extent your pitching rotation was lined up going in, getting on a roll or into a slump playing nearly every day.

MLB playoffs are high variance, but the regular season is far less so than NHL, and making the playoffs is tougher. Plus you have a form of a bye for the 6 division winners.

I also watch a lot of soccer and formula 1, I think they'd be between the NFL and NBA.

This is fine. I won't quibble too much over MLB or NHL playoffs being the bigger crapshoot.

But I think it's worth noting that the MLB playoffs basically start with 8 teams, while the NHL playoffs start with 16. I tried to clarify that issue by referring to making the final 8. Even the best hockey team still has to get through a best of seven series against the 8 seed, and that's not a gimmie. MLB doesn't have that issue.

But I also think a hockey game has close to the same amount of variance as a baseball game in general.

So, what is our final roster?  

Forwards              
Abby
Double A
Glenny
Helmer
Larkie
Drew
Franco
Nykie
Otter
Riley