Sign in to follow this  
Mr.TaterSalad

So Long JLA: 2016-2017 Predictions Thread

ESPN: NHL Power Rankings

ESPN has us ranked 20th in their early pre-season power rankings. I would have actually put us a spot or two lower at 21 or 22, but I can accept the 20th overall spot. With the defense the way it is and uncertainty related to our coaching, I just don't see how this team can sustain another playoff run. I think that this will be the year where we finally see the playoff streak come to an end.

21 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They finish fifth in the division.   They miss the playoffs. 

Zetterberg got hurt and might miss regular season games.  

They finish fifth in the division.  They miss the playoffs. 

What are everyone's line combination predictions?

Abdelkader - Larkin - Zetterberg

Tatar - Nielsen - Nyquist

Vanek - Sheahan - Helm

Miller- Glendening- Jurco

Scratches:

Ott

Mantha

Minors:

Athanasiou

It sounds like they are going to try Z on Frans' wing and said they want Helm and C with Sheahan on wing.  Also Jurco will be out until November so I will go opening night lineup:

Nyquist - Nielsen - Zetterberg

Abdelkader - Larkin - Vanek

Tatar - Helm - Sheahan

Miller - Glendening - Ott

Pulkkinen

DDK - Marchenko

Green - Smith

Kronwall - Ericsson

Oulette

Sproul

Mrazek

Howard

The last time I remember this little of a buzz for a coming hockey season was before Jacques Demers was Head Coach.     Just no buzz at all.    It's kind of sad that their biggest selling point is leaving a 35 year old arena.     Pretty depressing.  

21 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

It sounds like they are going to try Z on Frans' wing and said they want Helm and C with Sheahan on wing.  Also Jurco will be out until November so I will go opening night lineup:

Nyquist - Nielsen - Zetterberg

Abdelkader - Larkin - Vanek

Tatar - Helm - Sheahan

Miller - Glendening - Ott

Pulkkinen

DDK - Marchenko

Green - Smith

Kronwall - Ericsson

Oulette

Sproul

Mrazek

Howard

I see neither you nor I have Double A or Mantha starting on this team. It's a sad and troubling state of affairs that neither of our top prospects make the squad as starters in the lineup.

13 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Mantha and AA must be going in the Trouba trade

I've gone back and forth on this one. I think would be a good edition long-term for this team at the position we need it most, defense. he's got top-line potential and it seems like he will reach his career potential. As far as the trade itself, I'd actually rather give up Nyquist (given his age) over one of Mantha or AA. Nore sure if Winnipeg would accept Nyquist.

I don't see Kenny making this trade though given Trouba's youth, he's only 22. Although, if Trouba has a waiver available Kenny could send him down to Grand Rapids for two more years of seasoning.

Jets want a similar (young and skilled) left handed defenseman for Trouba, so maybe Smith/DDK would be a mildly interesting piece to them but I doubt it.  I'm sure the Jets would ask for Larkin in addition if that were the case, and might be talked down to AA/Mantha/Svech plus a couple picks, but I doubt it.  I can't see a ton of interest in Nyquist from them and I am sure the pot would have to be sweetened even more due to age/contract.

Good thing we got rid of Datyuk's contract so we have the room to make a deal.  Oh, wait.  But we have Helm all locked up, thank goodness. 

I really want Mitch Callahan on the team.  He's physical, he can create chaos in front of the net which is what the Red Wings desperately miss.  But no way he makes the team.    

Figured I would put up my ideal lineup from the org going into the season if everybody was healthy and money/waivers/whatever didn't matter

Zetterberg - Nielsen - Tatar

Nyquist - Larkin - Vanek

Sheahan - Athanasiou - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Helm - Abdelkader

Green - Smith

DeKeyser - Hicketts

Sproul - Kronwall

On 10/8/2016 at 0:57 AM, drownwithyou said:

Figured I would put up my ideal lineup from the org going into the season if everybody was healthy and money/waivers/whatever didn't matter

Zetterberg - Nielsen - Tatar

Nyquist - Larkin - Vanek

Sheahan - Athanasiou - Mantha

Bertuzzi - Helm - Abdelkader

Green - Smith

DeKeyser - Hicketts

Sproul - Kronwall

I see you've got both AA and Mantha making the team. I'd be shocked to see this happen. I don't think it's how Ken Holland operates, but we shall see.

Pulkky waived...didn't see that coming.  I agree with it though, AA should be on the team over him.  Granted Holland created the mess where he had to waive or send one down by signing Helm, Ott, and Miller but at least he made the right choice when it came to this.

29 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Pulkky waived...didn't see that coming.  I agree with it though, AA should be on the team over him.  Granted Holland created the mess where he had to waive or send one down by signing Helm, Ott, and Miller but at least he made the right choice when it came to this.

Holland is a disaster.  I don't know what the **** he is doing.     Is there a team rule that they can't keep guys under 30?   

This team is going to be awful.     

So Pulk doesn't get a roster spot but Steve Ott does? Ok, cause that helps the team. Pulk will go and shine somewhere else I'm sure. God Holland has mismanaged this roster sooooooo bad.

Do you honestly think Pulk will shine somewhere else?  Did you ever see anything in him at the NHL level that makes you think he can stick?

His skating is still sub par despite his improvements, which severely limits his entire game because he needs to speed to cover up his lack of size and strength.  He has demonstrated zero ability to make a controlled zone exit or entry, I am quite happy I won't have to watch him chip the puck up the boards to the opposing team's defense for a zone reset because he can't move his feet fast enough to get the puck out in a controlled manner.  His shot takes too long to get off at the NHL level and he has shown zero accuracy in at the NHL level when he can manage to get his shot off.  

I'm upset at the manner in which he was lost (for nothing to make room for fourth line players, at least try to get something for him like they should have done with Frk) but not upset about losing him.  There is a chance he passes through waivers due to his lack of NHL production and recent injury history, but it is doubtful.

Also I forgot the Wings said they will carry two extra d to start the year (XO and Sproul) so AA probably won't be up.  Yippee.  No room with all the fourth line quality players cluttering the lineup though...I guess it is better than him being scratched.

42 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So Pulk doesn't get a roster spot but Steve Ott does? Ok, cause that helps the team. Pulk will go and shine somewhere else I'm sure. God Holland has mismanaged this roster sooooooo bad.

Well, they really do need someone to screen and to pester goalies.   Haven't really had that since Holmstrom and Franzen left.  I know Abby tries, but he's not that good at it.     But I think Mitch Callahan could do that too, I like him, I like his energy.    The real issue I have is Helm and Drew Miller.   Good guys, no doubt, but are they really part of any next wave?    It is time to get the kids and their energy in the lineup for this cookie that's so stale even my dog doesn't want it.  

....and the defense...........ugh...........

Do I think Pulk was going to improve by leaps and bounds? No. I would have at least liked to have seen what he could have given us and how much he could have improved over watching a 4th line grinder in Steve Ott skate around. If he ends up getting claimed, putting it together and is a good player like Jarnkrok and Janmark-Nylen are, I don't think any of us are going to be happy.

Frk is ****. Jensen is ****. Pulkinen is ****. Jurco is ****. Jarnkrok and Janmark are one smidgen above **** and Nestrasil and Ferraro are all pretty much ****. Sproul and XO are likely going to be ****.  Trading all of them for their market values, say a 7th round pick, is hardly worth the effort to do the paperwork, as 99% of 7th round picks turn out to be ****.

Virtually all NHL prospects are ****, and almost all 2nd rounders are ****. Look at the 2nd rounders from Frk's draft year - **** **** ****.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Entry_Draft#Round_two

Glendening is **** so I wish we hadn't extended him.

AA and Mantha are likely to be decent, but may end up being just a bit better than ****. 

Ott and Miller have successfully forged long-time NHL careers and have roles. If they're done, they can be dumped after this year.

The Wings aren't a very good team, and Holland isn't much of a GM any more, they should make more trades and sign fewer extensions. But to say they don't give young players a chance is ridiculous. The roster is filled with home-grown players including those under 30 who were given a chance in their early 20s.  Abdelkader was given a chance and took it. Glendening was given a chance and took it.  Jurco was given a chance but blew it. Pulkinen was given a chance but blew it. Tatar was given a chance and took it and now people want to dump him. Nyquist was given a chance and took and now people want to dump him. DeKeyser was given a chance and took it.Larkin was given a chance and took it.  Sheahan was given a chance and took it.  Mrazek was given a chance and took it. Marchenko was given a chance and took it. 

Janmark's stats last year were 15 G/14 A/29 pts. I would hardly consider that poop. Jarnkrok posted similar numbers,16 G/14 A/30 pts. again, not poop. I'd much rather have either of them than I would Helm, Miller or Ott. And would rather have had them than Legwand or Cole.