Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Why does CB Bucknor still have a umpiring job?

Look, I hate to call for an individual to get fired... I hate to take someone's lively hood away, but the reality is that we as fans tend to do this on a regular basis with coaches and players.  Maybe we're jaded to the whole thing because they make so much more money than most of us, but for whatever reason it's the reality in sports.

So in that vein: Why in the heck does Bucknor still have a job?  I mean honestly, when the announcers are commenting, openly, that Bucknor is understood league wide to be just awful when it comes to calling balls and strikes, why does the league keep putting him out there?

I know that calling balls and strikes isn't an easy job.  I know I likely would be bad at it.  But I'm also not being paid by the highest level of baseball to do the job and then doing it poorly...so poorly that it's just understood that when Bucker is behind the plate you'll see weird, awful calls.

he'd got 20 yrs in at the ML level, they could offer him a fat early retirement option if they want something more graceful.

But "Country Joe" West is a character. He's good for the game.

I always get a sinking feeling in my stomach when Chris Guccione is behind the plate.