Shelton

Detroit Tigers Playoff Odds Tracker

40 minutes ago, Casimir said:

False.  The Tigers control their own destiny.  Win the next two in Atlanta and they are in a few mandatory must win games before making it to the ALDS, but they do control their own destiny.

Sure, but winning 4 more games to get to the wildcard game is still tough. Boston can affect whether a Monday game would be meaningful to Cleveland, whether the Tigers need Monday's game to win a wildcard spot or just to tie for it, whether the Tigers can afford to lose one of the Atlanta games, and whether the Tigers could clinch a spot without even playing Monday.

False.  The Tigers control their own destiny.  Win the next two in Atlanta and they are in a few mandatory must win games before making it to the ALDS, but they do control their own destiny.

I was thinking in terms of having to avoid that. Even Monday's game. Without help the best they can do is tie. The best way to avoid tiebreakers is they win the next two and Boston wins their two. That takes Clevelands issue away and we can play Monday for either home field in WC game if Baltimore loses two games or to break a tie with Seattle if they win out.

Friendly reminder that all games on Sunday start at 3. I like that. Great idea.

Today if Baltimore Wins and Detroit loses they clinch a WC spot, if O's win and Jays/Tigs lose they clinch the WC#1.

Scoreboard watching

O's (Miley) @ Yanks (Severino) 4:05pm

Tigs (Zimmermann) @ Braves (Blair) 7:10pm

Jays (Happ) @ RSox (Rodriguez) 7:10pm

A's (Cotton) @ M's (Iwakuma) 9:10pm

This is the day we need Seattle to lose. I can't see them losing at home on Sunday with Felix on the mound.

Beat guys are giving it to the O's for not using their MVP candidate in the 8th inning tie game when it most mattered.

Seattle is out so I think the Tigers' task is straightforward. Win 4 straight games to get to the ALDS. Need one piece of outside help along the way. This is what needs to happen for the Tigers to make the ALDS

- Tigers win Sunday in Atlanta

-  One or both of Baltimore losing in New York, Toronto losing in Boston

- Tigers beat Cleveland at Comerica on Monday

-  If only one of Baltimore or Toronto loses on Sunday, the Tigers need to break the tie for the 2nd wildcard spot by winning at Sunday's loser on Tuesday, then in the wildcard game win at Sunday's winner on Wednesday

- If both Baltimore and Toronto lose on Sunday, the Tigers need to win the 3-team wildcard playoff by beating one of the teams on the road on Tuesday and by beating the other team at Comerica on Wednesday

I just read that somehow the Orioles have chosen the "win one game at home option" of the possible three game tiebreaker.

So this could be Tigers path if there is a three teamer:

Win Monday against Cleveland

Win Tuesday against Toronto

Wednesday off (Toronto plays at Baltimore)

Wild card game Thursday at winner of Toronto/Baltimore

Or

Win Monday

Lose tuesday at Toronto

Win Wednesday at Baltimore

Wild card game on Thursday at Toronto

If we tie with only one of those teams:

Win Monday

Win Tuesday at Toronto/Baltimore

Wild card game at the other of Toronto/Baltimore

Tigers win Jays win balt win - Tigers out

Tigers win Jays win balt lose - 2 way tie

Tigers win Jays lose balt lose - 3 way tie

Tigers win Jays lose balt win - 2 way tie

4 scenarios where tigers lose - Tigers out

It's not a dream scenario but in year's past when the Tigers have wrapped things up early they've come out flat.  Maybe this will help.

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

I just read that somehow the Orioles have chosen the "win one game at home option" of the possible three game tiebreaker.

So this could be Tigers path if there is a three teamer:

Win Monday against Cleveland

Win Tuesday against Toronto

Wednesday off (Toronto plays at Baltimore)

Wild card game Thursday at winner of Toronto/Baltimore

Or

Win Monday

Lose tuesday at Toronto

Win Wednesday at Baltimore

Wild card game on Thursday at Toronto

If we tie with only one of those teams:

Win Monday

Win Tuesday at Toronto/Baltimore

Wild card game at the other of Toronto/Baltimore

I may well be wrong, some of these tiebreakers confuse me, but I don't see a way we can have a loss or day off in there. I think it is win every day or we are out.

I may well be wrong, some of these tiebreakers confuse me, but I don't see a way we can have a loss or day off in there. I think it is win every day or we are out.

When there is a three team tie for two wild card spots, as there could be after today, the loser of the first game goes on the road to play the third team the next day.

Tigers down to their final 7 outs. Jays just need 9 more outs, with their pitcher no-hitting Boston. What are our playoff odds now? Under 2%?

This was a fun thread nonetheless. Came down to Sunday. That's better than most years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lordstanley said:

But, I booked it because Mr. Biggs told us I could. Now what the **** am I supposed to do?!

Not listen to me.

I can refer you to my wife, who is something of an expert.

• Like 1