Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

Tigers stick it to RedSox by refusing to honor simple request

Yup, that's the actual headline:

Tigers stick it to the Red Sox by refusing to honor a simple request

And what is this simple request? 

With [the Red Sox's] Wednesday's game at 7:05 p.m. ET and Thursday's game at 1:10 p.m. -- and a flight plus hotel check-in wedged in-between -- Boston reached out to Detroit to inquire about bumping Thursday's start time until later in the afternoon or early evening. Just a gentleman's request between a couple good sports.

While story does acknowledge that there is a Lions game tomorrow night in Detroit, they end by saying:

If the Tigers wanted, it all could be worked out, though. Baseball karma is real.

Now, unless this request was made way back at the beginning when the schedules were just released, then the RedSox are foolish, in my opinion, to expect the Tigers to even seriously consider the move.  Thursday home afternoon games have become something of a tradition in Detroit (starting by none other than Dombrowski himself!).

The Tigers don't owe the RedSox players anything, especially when honoring the "simple request" not only disrupts conventionally thousands of fans plans for the day in question, but also creates a logistics nightmare with fans trying to get into two stadiums at the same time (let alone screwing over those who might have tickets to both games).

Honestly I think the Lions game has very little to do with the scheduling or the refusal to remove it. (Was the Lions game even set up back when the Tigers set their home game times?)

This is such a non issue drummed up by Boston media.  Of course Boston will ask to have it moved.  That's normal business and they have to ask.  They know the answer already but you still ask.

Avila was very reasonable in his response.  

I would guess it's either a dramatic writer looking to stir up trouble or he's just mad at his travel/work schedule.

I don't think Dombrowski or the Red Sox themselves give it a second thought.  it's the media making it an issue.

I'm sure this isn't the only time this year something like this has happened but God forbid it happen to the Red Sox. 

• Like 1

Wasn't there another thread about this a couple days back?

Anyway, I am fairly confident that the request was made prior to the season and likely shortly after schedules were released. And it was declined long ago, prior to any lions game or many fans purchasing advance tickets for a Thursday afternoon game in late August.

It's all just coming up now because the game is coming up.

If the request wasn't made long ago, when do these writers think the request was made? Last week? If so, it's downright ridiculous to think the Tigers would ever agree to a change.

If the request was made long ago and denied, these articles are intellectually dishonest and nothing more than an attempt to stir up #content.

Anyway, from the Tigers perspective, assuming this request was made back in the offseason, they certainly could have accommodated it. Who knows why it was declined. It could simply be that their market analysis says that Thursday afternoon games draw better than Wednesday. Or they figured that a day game vs the sox would have no issue selling tickets, but one against the royals might. Or they simply saw a rare chance to get a competitive advantage over a team flying in the night before when the Tigers were already at home.

And of course, there is no mention of the Red Sox asking Baltimore to change their Wednesday game to a 4pm game or a 1pm game. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the sox requested changes from both teams. But Baltimore is leaving town tonight, so there is really no advantage to them having an early game today, and most teams prefer night games in the summer.

I have a memory of this coming up on twitter early in the season.  I really think it's just one writer making hay.

42 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Wasn't there another thread about this a couple days back?

Correctamundo. It was in the middle of a game thread I believe.

Why didn't the Red Sox request to have the series finale vs Baltimore changed to a day game?

Wouldn't that also have been a 'simple request'?

I'm still failing to see how this is the Tigers fault or why they should care about it. Other than that the Boston media is complete trash and should all be thrown in a dumpster and set adrift in the Atlantic Ocean of course

3 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Why didn't the Red Sox request to have the series finale vs Baltimore changed to a day game?

Wouldn't that also have been a 'simple request'?

I'm still failing to see how this is the Tigers fault or why they should care about it. Other than that the Boston media is complete trash and should all be thrown in a dumpster and set adrift in the Atlantic Ocean of course

+1

I guess I don't understand the need to have the first game of the series be a day game.  I don't see why Detroit could've played today and tomorrow night.  Is there an unwritten rule that Thursday games in Detroit have to be in the afternoon?

I recall a few years ago that there was some whining about the Angels hosting a night getaway game when the visitor was traveling to the Eastern time zone for a game the next day.  In fact, I vividly remember Jim Price bitching about it during some of the broadcasts leading up to and after said game.

All that said, I hope the Red Sox go 19 innings tonight.  There probably wouldn't be this much damn drama if it were the Mariners or Brewers.  But Boston is going to make a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.  And the Tigers need something to offset the deluge of suck that they've found themselves in.

And I hope they sweep the Red Sox.  Because then we will get to hear about how the 0-7 record against Detroit this season was because of an inconvenient start time. 

The Tigers have a reason and it's probably marketing related. That's the only reason they need for a home game. Some teams are known to be stubborn about night games due to ticket sales. That's their prerogatives. It should never be about the opponent.

How about Boston Marathon Day in Boston (whatever it's called). Don't they play at like 11AM? Some team has to travel in for that game, don't they. I don't hear them complaining.

3 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

How about Boston Marathon Day in Boston (whatever it's called). Don't they play at like 11AM? Some team has to travel in for that game, don't they. I don't hear them complaining.

Correct, but, I think they play a wrap around series that weekend.  So the visitor is there Friday through Monday.  I know it happened with Toronto this season, and when I saw that, I think I recall hearing that there is an arrangement between MLB & Boston for this.  

I would love to hear the honesty of the Tigers people simply saying "We consider it a competitive advantage and we are in competition for a division title and playoff spot."  What's wrong with saying that.  The league set the schedule - someone had to sign off on it.  Tough luck, Beaneaters. 

10 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I would love to hear the honesty of the Tigers people simply saying "We consider it a competitive advantage and we are in competition for a division title and playoff spot."  What's wrong with saying that.  The league set the schedule - someone had to sign off on it.  Tough luck, Beaneaters. 

The schedule of days is set by the league, but each team is allowed to set the time of each game.

17 hours ago, Casimir said:

I guess I don't understand the need to have the first game of the series be a day game.  I don't see why Detroit could've played today and tomorrow night.  Is there an unwritten rule that Thursday games in Detroit have to be in the afternoon?

I recall a few years ago that there was some whining about the Angels hosting a night getaway game when the visitor was traveling to the Eastern time zone for a game the next day.  In fact, I vividly remember Jim Price bitching about it during some of the broadcasts leading up to and after said game.

All that said, I hope the Red Sox go 19 innings tonight.  There probably wouldn't be this much damn drama if it were the Mariners or Brewers.  But Boston is going to make a bigger deal out of this than it needs to be.  And the Tigers need something to offset the deluge of suck that they've found themselves in.

And I hope they sweep the Red Sox.  Because then we will get to hear about how the 0-7 record against Detroit this season was because of an inconvenient start time. 

They did set it for a day game because it was the first game of the series.  Rather, Thursday is just traditionally a day game in Detroit over the last number of years.  As it works out in a "normal" schedule this is often the get away day as a "normal" schedule is Tues-Weds-Thurs for one series, and Fri-Sat-Sun for the next. So obviously, that's probably why Thursday has become a traditional day game.

I doubt the Tigers looked at the schedule and decided "Oh... we can stick it to the RedSox!"  I mean, if that was their motivation, why only do it once?  Why not schedule more day games to start series when the opposing team plays a night game out of town the previous day?

I sure they just took the schedule MLB handed them and automatically penciled in: 'Day game' on any Thursday they were at home.  It's also entirely possible (likely?) that they noticed that this does mess with the Red Sox a bit and decided not to change cause it would hinder the Sox more than the Tigers.

52 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

The schedule of days is set by the league, but each team is allowed to set the time of each game.

Still, tough luck, Beaneaters..............dems da breaks.   

Plus it's not like they did this just to screw with the Red Sox..........they consistently play day games on Thursdays, so the Red Sox can't claim they did this just to screw them.   

3 Titles since 2004 and they still whine. 

It has finally been revealed, as I suspected, that the request by Boston to change the time of the game was made back in the offseason.

So in that respect, the Tigers certainly could have done them a favor without screwing over fans that already had tickets (a commonly cited reason for not changing) or conflicting with a lions game (the other reason brought up).

That said, and as many people have said, the Tigers were under no obligation or expectation to comply with the request. As everyone has pointed out, every team asks other teams to move game times from time to time, and the requests are rarely granted, which is fine.

So the Tigers could have easily complied with this request if they were feeling charitable, but I think it's pretty bush league for dombrowski to have made his comments earlier in the week painting the Tigers as the bad guy trying to get an unfair advantage. He could have addressed the issue, if it was brought up to him, in a much more professional way, considering that he has also admitted that they asked Baltimore to move their game too.

**** DD.

I don't know that it necesarily played to our advantage today or not, although we won, so who knows.  But I think that this sort of jet/travel lag can often times catch up to you on the second day, just based upon my personal travel experience.  So I'd watch for tomorrow's game to see if the Sox come out flat.  They might. 

Ha ha, it turns out that it's not just a sportswriter complaining.  I heard on the radio today that Farrell actually called the commissioner's office to complain.  Farrell, what a douche.  When the Red Sox fired Valentine, Farrell was under contract to the Blue Jays but he pouted like a little girl because he wanted his "dream job" and so they let him go - who wants a guy like that?  They did insist on a player from the Red Sox though, and that player was...Mike Aviles.  So you could say that they got fair value for Farrell.  What a douche. 

It really seemed like the Red Sox just worn out late in the game didn't it?  Like they just could have used another hour of sleep.

It might have been better for the Tigers if the Orioles had made the Red Sox play in this amazonian tropical swelter mid-atlantic August during the day.