RedRamage

Aviles traded to Braves for IF and C

13 hours ago, Antrat said:

Now JV can't kill Aybar.

This is one of the unwritten rules that I despise. You do anything to try to keep your team from being no-hit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

This is one of the unwritten rules that I despise. You do anything to try to keep your team from being no-hit.

It was still a game in doubt at the time.  Only a 3 run deficit in the 8th inning.  The Angels needed base runners and needed them quickly.  I have no problem with the bunt attempt.

2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

It was still a game in doubt at the time.  Only a 3 run deficit in the 8th inning.  The Angels needed base runners and needed them quickly.  I have no problem with the bunt attempt.

I am with Biff.  I usually defend the bunt attempt to break up a no hitter if the game is even within sniffing distance.  Anything over 6-7 run deficit and I would consider it bush, but still would not get nerd rage over it.

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Yeah, I agree it's dumb.   You do anything you can to help your team win and getting on base in a close game does that.  

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

I am with Biff.  I usually defend the bunt attempt to break up a no hitter if the game is even within sniffing distance.  Anything over 6-7 run deficit and I would consider it bush, but still would not get nerd rage over it.

I think it's OK even if it's not close.  Aybar needs to get on base for his team to have a chance.  How else is a guy like Aybar going to get on base against Verlander?  If Trout bunted, it might be different.  

I would like to see Aybar man-up and on the next JV start, take one in the back during a warm-up toss. 

22 minutes ago, ballmich said:

I would like to see Aybar man-up and on the next JV start, take one in the back during a warm-up toss. 

"Man up" for getting on base in a game that the Angels almost won due in part to him getting on base?

Let's be honest.  If Jered Weaver were on the mound and Jose Iglesias bunted to get on, it'd be a different tune.  Don't tell me otherwise, because that'd be horse ****.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Agreed.  A hit is a hit is a hit.  If bunting is a legitimate method to get a hit and get on base, then there's nothing wrong with it.

47 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Agreed.  A hit is a hit is a hit.  If bunting is a legitimate method to get a hit and get on base, then there's nothing wrong with it.

Just like diving for the finish line is a perfectly legitimate way to win a foot race.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

"Man up" for getting on base in a game that the Angels almost won due in part to him getting on base?

Let's be honest.  If Jered Weaver were on the mound and Jose Iglesias bunted to get on, it'd be a different tune.  Don't tell me otherwise, because that'd be horse ****.

There is a debt to be paid, and I expect JV to collect. 

If Weaver needs to throw at Iglesias due to an in-game event, so be it. This is part of the game.  Aybar being traded to the Tigers doesn't erase the debt. 

17 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Just like diving for the finish line is a perfectly legitimate way to win a foot race.

Why isn't it a feet race?  Or are you only referring to one foot races?

13 minutes ago, ballmich said:

There is a debt to be paid, and I expect JV to collect. 

If Weaver needs to throw at Iglesias due to an in-game event, so be it. This is part of the game.  Aybar being traded to the Tigers doesn't erase the debt. 

Should we expect to read about JV waiting for Aybar in the doorway of the clubhouse with a bat in his hand?

21 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Why isn't it legitimate?  Is there a rule against it?

6 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Why isn't it a feet race?  Or are you only referring to one foot races?

Wouldn't it be hard to dive without feet?

1 minute ago, kdog said:

The Barves dfa'd mike aviles.

I hope the brass took him out to a fancy restaurant let him order anything he wanted and then cut him and kicked him out of the restaurant before the food came.

15 minutes ago, rhino said:

Should we expect to read about JV waiting for Aybar in the doorway of the clubhouse with a bat in his hand?

A bat, no.  A ball in hand, yes. That was the promised retribution, being plunked in the back.  This payback has yet to be served. 

10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Why isn't it legitimate?  Is there a rule against it?

It is legitimate. That didn't stop people from getting all bent out of shape about it, when it cost the USA a gold medal.

2 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I hope the brass took him out to a fancy restaurant let him order anything he wanted and then cut him and kicked him out of the restaurant before the food came.

Who is going to eat the food?