RedRamage

Would you trade Upton to Miami for... anything?

Okay, here's a question: Given Miami's need to replace their ailing slugger, if Miami offered you nearly anything to take Upton and his full contract, would you?

Yes, there's a chance that Upton rebounds and becomes a great player later, but right now he's looking like a drag on the Tigers.  if the offered you low level, high ceiling prospect, would you take it to get out of the contract?

15 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Okay, here's a question: Given Miami's need to replace their ailing slugger, if Miami offered you nearly anything to take Upton and his full contract, would you?

Yes, there's a chance that Upton rebounds and becomes a great player later, but right now he's looking like a drag on the Tigers.  if the offered you low level, high ceiling prospect, would you take it to get out of the contract?

You can take a token package of prospects, so long as Miami assumes the entire contract.  But they never would, so it's basically a moot discussion. 

With Collins and Moya looking servicable, and JJones at AAA along with Gerber and Stewart at AA... and with Gose + Bernard still kicking around AA-AAA... You'd think you have the makings of some sort of LF platoon there. 

I haven't verified this, but I think that Moya and Collins are out of options  next season.  Not a huge loss either way, but clearing Upton could be helpful to the payroll and we have some pieces to replace him it appears. But like I said earlier, no one will take his contract right now. 

Wow, I expected at least some saying that it's too soon to give up on Upton.

So, as most here say they'd do it in a heart beat, what about this: Tigers pick up 15% of the remaining contract.  Do you still trade him? 

If yes, what's the most percentage you'd be willing to take on?

If no, how low does that percentage have to go before you'd be willing to trade?

I'd guess that we'd have to eat about $60 million to trade him right now.  So I'd just assume keep him and hopefully he has a big rebound in 2017. Then you can entertain the idea again. 

But we probably do have to trade Moya and/or Collins this winter as a result.  

1 hour ago, ballmich said:

But we probably do have to trade Moya and/or Collins this winter as a result.  

Keep them both.  Collins becomes 4th OF,  make Moya add 1st base to his repertoire and only keep one utility IF.

I think he is likely to rebound next year, but there is no guarantee of that, so if they can move his contract they definitely should.  Nobody will take him though unless the Tigers are willing to take another expensive contract in return.  

5 hours ago, ballmich said:

With Collins and Moya looking servicable, and JJones at AAA along with Gerber and Stewart at AA... and with Gose + Bernard still kicking around AA-AAA... You'd think you have the makings of some sort of LF platoon there. 

I haven't verified this, but I think that Moya and Collins are out of options  next season.  Not a huge loss either way, but clearing Upton could be helpful to the payroll and we have some pieces to replace him it appears. But like I said earlier, no one will take his contract right now. 

Anthony Gose?   Really?   He's not even fit for Toledo.  

58 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Anthony Gose?   Really?   He's not even fit for Toledo.  

He will be on the 25 in 16 days. 

9 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

Keep them both.  Collins becomes 4th OF,  make Moya add 1st base to his repertoire and only keep one utility IF.

Collins is not a major league baseball player.

If he has a good season next season, is anyone upset if he uses his clause to opt out and find a new deal?

1 minute ago, roarintiger1 said:

Collins is not a major league baseball player.

He has come back down to earth a bit these past two weeks.  I don't think anyone ever thought he was anything more than a 4th OF option to begin with.  The problem is that with Maybin unable to stay health, they really need the 4th OF to carry a decent load.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

If he has a good season next season, is anyone upset if he uses his clause to opt out and find a new deal?

No.

I had an old friend who moved to AZ warn me about Upton.  He was adamant.  He appears to be right.

I knew Upton would be streaky but I expected his peaks to be higher than they have been.  I thought he would go on atleast one 3-4 week stretch where he basically carried the offense. Like a 1.00 + ops.

Instead his hot stretch has been around an .850 ops with limited HR power, which isn't bad but not nearly enough to out way the **** he put up the rest of the time.

I think almost everyone, including the Tigers, wanted upton to exercise the opt out even before this season.

Unless he completely turns things around and puts up a season worthy of mvp votes, that hasn't changed.

We are probably going to have to trade JD or let him walk because of this contract. What a kick in the nuts.