Nastradamus

Final 53

25 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I'm not sure Glasgow or Dahl having to play would be a disaster, or Bush at S. Tackle,QB and CB scare me. Obviously an Ansah injury is crushing as well. 

Ebron is supposed to play soon yes. Who knows though?

I didn't realize Ebron was already supposed to play soon.

I guess I just don't know how Glasgow will fair as a guard in the NFL, Bush may work but I think we can both agree he is less than an ideal candidate as a starting safety. I guess we will see, the roster just worries me.

2 hours ago, EchO said:

So is Ebron not being put on the PUP because they think he will be able to play within the first six weeks?

It looks like we are one injury away at QB, guard, tackle, CB, and S from being in big trouble. Hopefully we stay healthy throughout the season.

One thing I was wondering, who has the final decision (typically) in roster decisions (coach or GM)? 

Every nfl team is one injury away at qb from being terrible.  Not much depth out there with free agency and 53 man rosters.

That being said, the lions roster is bad.  We went from having the best dtackle duo in thr league to having an ancient haloti ngata and a bunch of average players.  

The lions back up olinemen are two rookies and a guy who was so bad last year they had to bring in michael ola to bail him out.  Hopefully warford stays healthy and tomlinson improves or else its going to be a long season.

Lots of high draft picks on that line, time for them to produce.

I am very pleased that my boy Zettel made the team. Might be enough to make me watch again.

I'm surprised that neither Billingsley or Lee made the roster at receiver. I thought that one of the two would have made it. I also thought Michael Ola was going to make the roster, I guess I am slightly surprised there as well. Keeping 11 defensive lineman seems unusually high as well too.

2 hours ago, EchO said:

What did you say that I couldn't take? I don't see any part of my response that you could possibly interpret as me being upset. I feel like you of all people should know by now that I can "take" whatever is said to me or about my opinions. 

Oh I was just ****in' around haha. 

57 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm surprised that neither Billingsley or Lee made the roster at receiver. I thought that one of the two would have made it. I also thought Michael Ola was going to make the roster, I guess I am slightly surprised there as well. Keeping 11 defensive lineman seems unusually high as well too.

I like holding on to the talent though. That's the place I'd most like to have depth

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I like holding on to the talent though. That's the place I'd most like to have depth

I thought one of Lee or Billingsley deserved to make the team. I'm not the expert here, so I defer to Quinn and just hope he's right in only keeping 4 receivers.

2 hours ago, EchO said:

I didn't realize Ebron was already supposed to play soon.

I guess I just don't know how Glasgow will fair as a guard in the NFL, Bush may work but I think we can both agree he is less than an ideal candidate as a starting safety. I guess we will see, the roster just worries me.

Well of course Bush is less than ideal as a starter, but who's 3rd safety isn't? I think he's of reasonable quality for the role. The bigger question to me is whether or not Wilson can be a serviceable or better starter. 

With the guard situation, I should have said it depends on a few factors, particularly Tomlinson's play. If Tomlinson looks no better than last year and we lose Warford, we're probably in rough shape. 

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I thought one of Lee or Billingsley deserved to make the team. I'm not the expert here, so I defer to Quinn and just hope he's right in only keeping 4 receivers.

I had Jones in front of those guys, but all 3 were of pretty similar quality IMO. I'd have preferred one of them to Roberts. I think 5 WRs is ideal, but I think the DLs are more valuable players over all. Curious to see how the snaps are split up there. 

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

The lions back up olinemen are two rookies and a guy who was so bad last year they had to bring in michael ola to bail him out.  Hopefully warford stays healthy and tomlinson improves or else its going to be a long season.

Lots of high draft picks on that line, time for them to produce.

Lets go Corey Robinson! I was hoping to never have to see Lucas on the field again. 

Just taking in account injuries, I would think you'd want to keep 5 wideouts around. I agree with you on Roberts though, I didn't see anything that made him stand out from the younger, higher ceiling guys like Lee and Billingsley.

They're likely to pick up another wideout after they put Bostic on IR.  Then again, maybe Quinn wants to add another defensive lineman, just in case 10 of them get hurt in the first game.

The fact that Jon Bostic would have made this team if he hadn't been hurt says a lot about the Lions linebacker corps.  Bostic is awful.

Washington reminds me of another runner from Washington, Corey Dillon.  I was there when he broke that 95 yarder against the Lions.  They had everybody up front, he didn't really have to do much but run fast.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

They're likely to pick up another wideout after they put Bostic on IR.  Then again, maybe Quinn wants to add another defensive lineman, just in case 10 of them get hurt in the first game.

The fact that Jon Bostic would have made this team if he hadn't been hurt says a lot about the Lions linebacker corps.  Bostic is awful.

I think Jones will be back, but I prefer Billingsley.  As long as he doesn't shoot his eye out.

• Like 1

I am assuming the Lions think they can go with 4 WR because Riddick can play the slot too?

Not surprised they kept Orlovsky over Rudock.  I thought there was a slight chance they'd keep both, but it's probably a good thing given the needs elsewhere.  I'm a little surprised they didn't keep Jay Lee, although there will probably be waiver wire additions before week 1.

4 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Washington reminds me of another runner from Washington, Corey Dillon.  I was there when he broke that 95 yarder against the Lions.  They had everybody up front, he didn't really have to do much but run fast.

I guess the only difference I can find between the two is that Corey Dillon set the school record for most rushing yards in a season (1,695) and was a standout and then drafted in the 2nd round.

So yes, they are the same size and went to the same school...one was the most effective RB the school has seen and was a 2nd round draft pick, the other lost his starting job to a true freshman and was a 7th round pick. But again, maybe his ineffectiveness in college was a coaching issue? He just wasn't good at any point in college which to me is a huge red flag.

I was surprised that they didn't address the oline through free agency. Perhaps the worst line in the league and 4 of the 5 starters return and the only addition is a rookie LT who was a projected 2nd rounder.

Quinn is obviously going to draft a large stockpile of young linemen and let the cream rise to the top, which is nice. However this year's version is going to look similar to last years post Lombardi version.

26 minutes ago, Stanley68 said:

I was surprised that they didn't address the oline through free agency. Perhaps the worst line in the league and 4 of the 5 starters return and the only addition is a rookie LT who was a projected 2nd rounder.

Quinn is obviously going to draft a large stockpile of young linemen and let the cream rise to the top, which is nice. However this year's version is going to look similar to last years post Lombardi version.

O-Linemen generally don't peak until  a couple/few years after they hit the draft. Hard to rebuild an O-Line through the draft fast.

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

Even when it skews your judgement, I love you for your Chicago hatred. 

56 minutes ago, EchO said:

I guess the only difference I can find between the two is that Corey Dillon set the school record for most rushing yards in a season (1,695) and was a standout and then drafted in the 2nd round.

So yes, they are the same size and went to the same school...one was the most effective RB the school has seen and was a 2nd round draft pick, the other lost his starting job to a true freshman and was a 7th round pick. But again, maybe his ineffectiveness in college was a coaching issue? He just wasn't good at any point in college which to me is a huge red flag.

He did have a strong ypc, and also a known fumbling problem. Seems to me it could be a case of talent, but he couldn't gain the coaches' trust. Gotta hope that fumbling issue is fixable in that case, but that's doable. 

39 minutes ago, Stanley68 said:

Post Lombardi they let up 40% less sacks and ran the ball significantly better. I'll take it

9 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

He did have a strong ypc, and also a known fumbling problem. Seems to me it could be a case of talent, but he couldn't gain the coaches' trust. Gotta hope that fumbling issue is fixable in that case, but that's doable. 

Yeah, if you look at his game logs it looks very feast or famine, he either has a few big runs and a huge YPC or has extremely low YPC (much like we have seen this preseason). Again, lets all hope he becomes at least a serviceable return man, but his college track record is just a huge red flag. We have seen first hand that this coaching staff is fundamentally unable to "fix" fumbling and/or drop issues in guys who have a track record for such mishaps in college (Abdullah, Ebron).

The more I see how difficult these issues are to overcome, the more I see that as a red flag. A fumble every 22 carriers is so absolutely unacceptable. Even as a return man (where, IMO there is the greatest change of fumbling) that would be a fumble what...every 3-4 games? That won't work.