Sign in to follow this  
PuNk42AE

8/13/2016: Detroit Tigers vs Texas Rangers - 8:05 PM

Just now, kdog said:

Matt Boyd? What the....but I will take it.

some odd stuff on F/X. He was throwing a nice FB, tons of spin, not one whiff on it.

threw his slider 16 times, got 14 strikes.

8 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Jason Beck points out that Boyd is now 4-0 with a 2.16 ERA since the beginning of July.

he has really come a long way since last season. I think he still has a stamina issue starting at about 80 pitches, but you can live with that in today's 7/8 man BP times. By next year if he can push that out to 90+ it will hardly matter.

The schedule gets a lot, lot easier now. Fulmer vs. Griffin tomorrow. Then our away series are MIN, KC, CWS, CLE MIN, ATL. 18 games, all teams below .500 except CLE.

Home series are KC, BOS (4 games, looking like no David Price), LAA, CWS, BAL, MIN (4 games), KC, CLE (4 games). 27 games.

Not as many aces to face either. The Cleveland aces will be there of course. Duffy at least once. Maybe Teheran at the end. Sale/Quintana once or twice.

Time to win some games.

Boyd is one of those high-floor, low-ceiling types that the Tigers haven't had as a sixth starter option in recent years. Seems like he we will be very durable always be a good option as a back end starter or 1st guy up from the  minors. 

He might end up being more valuable than Norris when it's over.

If we start the season with JV, Norris, Boyd, Fulmer and Zimm starting, Greene, Krod, AW, JW, Rondon,Hardy, Ryan we will have turned over every pitcher on the staff other than JV since the 2014 playoff team with only one non-competitive yr. Goes to show you that a high payroll team can rebuild damn fast on the fly it you are willing to be cold-blooded about deadline deals on valuable guys approaching FA. I think more and more that that maneuver is today's value added play.

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

he has really come a long way since last season. I think he still has a stamina issue starting at about 80 pitches, but you can live with that in today's 7/8 man BP times. By next year if he can push that out to 90+ it will hardly matter.

I never pretend to be able to tell with lefties, but he seems to have gotten all his pitches working after his quick demotion to Toledo. The breaking pitch(es) seem to have taken a real step up, which if he has at least 3 pitches to work with he should be effective cuz he seems to know what he's doing out there.

3 minutes ago, kdog said:

Boyd is one of those high-floor, low-ceiling types that the Tigers haven't had as a sixth starter option in recent years. Seems like he we will be very durable always be a good option as a back end starter or 1st guy up from the  minors. 

He might end up being more valuable than Norris when it's over.

Floor of Mike Maroth, ceiling of J.A. Happ would not be bad at all.

Was in attendance tonight.... so, so frustrating to leave so many runs out on the diamond, Boyd bailed them out.

• Like 1

Regarding the replacements:

• McGehee - hit well in Toledo. Hopefully he can keep that up here. So far, so good. Probably an upgrade on D
  • Dix Machado - not as much of a falloff from Iggy that some may think. Iggy having a decent season but still not that great a player.
  • CF - platoon of Collins/Aviles/Romine? Presence of Machado and Willis McGehee allows Romine to play some CF and Romine having a career year. Maybin will have short DL stint hopefully.
  • Pelfrey, Zim out of rotation - The two lefties from Toronto have filled in admirably. (Blue Jays likely jealous. That's OK, They have Devon Travis.) Net upgrade over pelfrey and Zim.

Biggest falloff is in CF especially against LH pitching. Supposedly we don't face PRice next week so don't look for us to add an OF soon. This will allow Brad to have the luxury of an eight man pen.

So I just got here - Boyd, you were awesome!  And although there were only 2 runs scored, Hamels' WHIP was 2.4 for the game.  So facing an "ace" wasn't that big of a deal even though 1/3 of the hitters weren't available.

We're good.  This was going to be a difficult piece of the schedule even without all of the injuries.  We still win the division going away, I used to think by 5 games but now maybe only 3.

7 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts.  Lots of weak contact tonight?  I didn't get to watch the game.

1 minute ago, Casimir said:

7 innings, 2 hits, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts.  Lots of weak contact tonight?  I didn't get to watch the game.

Weak contact with your cable wire?

• Like 1

Haha, I meant Boyd.  It doesn't look like he avoided many bats, at least in terms of strikeouts.

Without looking it up, it seemed like a lot of pop ups and fly balls. That 9th inning fly out/line out scared me for a second. But that was off of Rodriguez.

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

I put a K-Rod poster on my door now I get nervous every time I close it. 

You've been waiting a while to use that line haven't you? :)

Was there ever much talk of Collins coming in for Aviles after the pickoff?  Come on DFA *Rolls dice*

Article today says Dubee dropped Boyd's arm slot a few inches. They also had Fx release point charts (M-Live: http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2016/08/matt_boyd_new_arm_slot.html) that show the slot dropping a few inches, and being MUCH more consistent. The slower slot added ~ 2 MPH onto his fastball (from avg. last start 91.3 to 93 this start and highs of 93.6 last start to 96.3 this start), and Boyd feels he got much better movement on his breaking balls (both the curve and the slider).

If he keeps that up, he becomes a mid-rotation starter instead of a back-end/ sixth starter.

4 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Dubee for president.

Seriously, if these changes with Boyd take hold, it's like trading up from Scott Aldred to Cliff Lee (kinda... :).

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If we start the season with JV, Norris, Boyd, Fulmer and Zimm starting, Greene, Krod, AW, JW, Rondon,Hardy, Ryan we will have turned over every pitcher on the staff other than JV since the 2014 playoff team with only one non-competitive yr. Goes to show you that a high payroll team can rebuild damn fast on the fly it you are willing to be cold-blooded about deadline deals on valuable guys approaching FA. I think more and more that that maneuver is today's value added play.

And to a lesser and slightly slower extent, the Tigers have done the same with position players as well. Take the 2013 ALCS versus Boston. That's going 1 year back, but the only holdovers are Cabrera, V-Mart and Iglesias. McCann/Salta, Castellanos, Kinsler, and the outfield are all new as starters since then.

This is why I never buy into the "window closing" narrative.  I remember in 2013 people were saying that about the Giants and all they did was win the World Series the next year and field a couple competitive teams after that.   Also when you have as many players in an organization like you do in baseball all it takes is a couple out of the hundred or so to break out and it can change the entire complexion of it.