1 hour ago, Oblong said:

The books I've read are adamant that there were no suicide pills.

Honestly, I would have felt better if they were included.  I mean, maybe in the 60s that would be frowned upon, but consider what options did they have if they got stranded and didn't have suicide pills?  

I haven't really read anything but I'd guess that oxygen would run out before they starved or died from dehydration.  They could of course killed themselves any number of other ways, but all would be various forms of ugly.  To me a suicide pill would be the most humane way.

so with all the talk about HW vulnerabilities and encryption back doors and and processor trapdoors set by manufactures co-opted by hostile government - the great Twitter hack of 2020 came down to a 17yr old conning a Twitter employee into giving up a set of administrative credentials.   🤔

Mr. Clark convinced one of the company’s employees that he was a co-worker in the technology department who needed the employee’s credentials to access the customer service portal,

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/technology/twitter-hack-arrest.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

One of the axioms of the mob was to not focus on spending a lot of money bribing the people at the top.  You can get what you need for a small handout to the guy at the bottom.  Security guard. Janitor. 

This poor bloke. Not an Onion article. 

So many amazing quotes in this article, I don't know where to start. Just read it. 

crazy.

I wonder what was up with having an infected taint for "years". that sounds plenty bad enough.

43 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Pretty devastating.  

qfrbllwp88f51.jpg

man, I was sure yesterday that that building in the foreground had gotten vaporized. such an awful blast.

5 minutes ago, jbhappy said:

man, I was sure yesterday that that building in the foreground had gotten vaporized. such an awful blast.

amazing that the warehouse buildings behind the high rise were flattened. Of course even though the building is standing, it looks like it's just sagged in on itself. I would guess it is a steel structure and even though the steel pretty much stayed together everything hanging from the steel has turned to mush.

13 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

amazing that the warehouse buildings behind the high rise were flattened.

oh, yeah, good pickup.

I gather that's the grain elevator where the strategic wheat reserves were stored. which I guess means that that lighter-colored "sand" could be said wheat (unless it was all incinerated).

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Most probably saw this video of the Beirut explosion.  Turns out the bride is a doctor from Troy.  She went back home three weeks ago to get married.

Video: Troy Doctor Survives Beirut Blast As She Poses In Wedding Gown

The amazing thing is you can hear him say Allahu Akbar a beat longer than you’d expect before we notice something which speaks to the forces they felt  

44 minutes ago, Oblong said:

The amazing thing is you can hear him say Allahu Akbar a beat longer than you’d expect before we notice something which speaks to the forces they felt  

IDK, I heard Admiral Akbar. 

I wonder how far away they were. 

edit: just under a mile. 

I saw one video that was very far and it took forever for the sound wave to hit. 

Tangentially related: Sitting in the upper deck of the bleachers of Tiger Stadium, it was a good second between when a ball was hit in BP before you would hear the crack of the bat.

yes, I remember that phenomenon.    I loved how in the bleachers at Tiger Stadium you were caged in from the rest of the ballpark.  Like steerage on a ship.  "What, you think you can go out there among the real people?  Get back behind this cage before I call the cops"

Sirius XM finally got wise to the tactic of getting the 6-month-for-$30 game that subscribers like me play. Every six months I'd have to call and tell a rep that I wanted to cancel, they'd extend the offer for another 6 months and everyone is happy. Now when I called in, the automatic system asked me if, instead of cancelling, I'd like to accept their 12-months-for-$60 offer. I didn't have to talk with anyone and I don't have to call them for another year.

All good.

that's great... I hope my new cars later this year have the new display so that I can get one of my channels.