On 7/1/2020 at 10:33 AM, Deleterious said:

I just realized most people probably know Chapman as the Twitter poster and not the NBA player.  

I remember Chapman as a basketball player.  I had heard he got picked up for shoplifting a few years ago.  As little as I browse Twitter, I know he has a pretty popular account.

So, over a month ago, he was on the Dan Patrick show.  I listen to it at work on podcast delay.  The interview was right after George Floyd was murdered.  I found myself sitting still doing no work and just listening to the interview.  It starts out pretty somber and eventually spirits perk up.  But I found it a pretty fascinating interview, hitting on a lot of different emotions.

On 7/12/2020 at 9:19 PM, Deleterious said:

Fire on a Navy ship today.

still dropping water in the Bonhomme though the ship is not smoking nearly as much today. Report is that the fire started in a drywall storage area. Pretty odd thing to create a big fire.

On 7/12/2020 at 6:19 PM, Deleterious said:

Fire on a Navy ship today.

CCo6qtZWAAARB3V.jpg

Damn! Grant Imahara from Mythbuster is dead!

He always seemed like a genuine person.  Most times it is hard to judge something like that with television or movie stars, but he seemed like the real deal.

21 hours ago, Yoda said:

Damn! Grant Imahara from Mythbuster is dead!

Damn.  Sounds like a brain aneurysm was the cause.

I don't know that we have a cool deals thread but I'm hearing rumors about a free year of MLB.TV on the Tmobile Free Tuesday app today.

MIT created a deep fake video of Nixon giving the speech that Bill Safire actually did have to write.  

I'm a space buff and am currently in the middle of Deke Slayton's book.  In the video when they refer to alarm codes 1202 and 1201, that was real, and they came very close to aborting.  Quick thinking by a guy in his 20's at Mission Control confirmed the alarms were just memory overload and their guidance software from the Lunar Module to keep track of the Command Module, in case of an abort, was sending more data than expected.   Those never came up in training.  

After that point in the video it's fake.  Chilling.

51 minutes ago, Oblong said:

MIT created a deep fake video of Nixon giving the speech that Bill Safire actually did have to write.  

That is frightening how well done that is.

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

I'm a space buff and am currently in the middle of Deke Slayton's book.  In the video when they refer to alarm codes 1202 and 1201, that was real, and they came very close to aborting.  Quick thinking by a guy in his 20's at Mission Control confirmed the alarms were just memory overload and their guidance software from the Lunar Module to keep track of the Command Module, in case of an abort, was sending more data than expected.   Those never came up in training.  

Kind of related, have you read Charles Fish man’ s book One Giant Leap? It’s probably the best account I’ve read on the entire mission

26 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Kind of related, have you read Charles Fish man’ s book One Giant Leap? It’s probably the best account I’ve read on the entire mission

No.  I will check that out.  I didn't not know until Deke's book that Armstrong was a civilian astronaut.  He was in the second group selected and they opened that up to civilian pilots.  I knew he was a Navy Korean War vet so I just assumed he was still active duty as an astronaut.  he was the first civilian in space when he flew his gemini mission.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:54 AM, Oblong said:

Chilling is exactly the right word for it.

I wonder, had that happened, what would future missions do re: the men left there?  Would they attempt to recover the bodies?  Would they just leave them there as is?  Would them attempt to entomb them somewhat on the moon?

I wonder also what I would do if I was one of them who was stuck with no hope of recovery?  I believe I read/heard that they were given suicide pills in the event they were stranded.  Would I, in that situation, absolutely knowing that no rescue was even remotely possible... would I just say screw it and end it right away?  Would I linger on as long as I could, no matter how much I suffered?

Just read that Annie Ross died. She was part of Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, the jazz vocal trio of the late 50s/early 60s that brought scat singing to the forefront of jazz's final days of its half century as the reigning popular music of the country. Never mind that jazz receded to the background shortly thereafter—the talent and artistry this woman brought to the genre is nothing short of astounding. Not for nothing, they were also one of the first integrated acts to tour the country and find great success, and they may have been quite possibly the first integrated act to feature black males with a white female, all presenting as equals.

She died just a few days short of age 90. That's a good run.

Here's an example of her signature talent. Well worth three and a quarter minutes of your time.

Just one more:

The three of them together.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Just read that Annie Ross died. She was part of Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, the jazz vocal trio of the late 50s/early 60s that brought scat singing to the forefront of jazz's final days of its half century as the reigning popular music of the country. Never mind that jazz receded to the background shortly thereafter—the talent and artistry this woman brought to the genre is nothing short of astounding. Not or nothing, they were also one of the first integrated acts to tour the country and find great success, and they may have been quite possibly the first integrated act to feature black males with a white female, all presenting as equals.

Here's an example of her signature talent. Well worth three and a quarter minutes of your time.

Amazing she made it that long - she had a rough go of it for a while with Lenny Bruce, drugs et al.

30 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Just read that Annie Ross died. She was part of Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, the jazz vocal trio of the late 50s/early 60s that brought scat singing to the forefront of jazz's final days of its half century as the reigning popular music of the country. Never mind that jazz receded to the background shortly thereafter—the talent and artistry this woman brought to the genre is nothing short of astounding. Not for nothing, they were also one of the first integrated acts to tour the country and find great success, and they may have been quite possibly the first integrated act to feature black males with a white female, all presenting as equals.

Was introduced to the group back when I started dating my wife (42 years ago). Four was written by Miles Davis, one of my favorite tunes....

Annie Ross wrote "Twisted" which most of us that have heard it only know as the cover Joni Mitchell did of it (with Cheech Martin adding a little color). Sort of explains the line about the double-decker buses, since I doubt Mitchell had much occasion to write about them in Saskatoon! xD

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Chilling is exactly the right word for it.

I wonder, had that happened, what would future missions do re: the men left there?  Would they attempt to recover the bodies?  Would they just leave them there as is?  Would them attempt to entomb them somewhat on the moon?

I wonder also what I would do if I was one of them who was stuck with no hope of recovery?  I believe I read/heard that they were given suicide pills in the event they were stranded.  Would I, in that situation, absolutely knowing that no rescue was even remotely possible... would I just say screw it and end it right away?  Would I linger on as long as I could, no matter how much I suffered?

The books I've read are adamant that there were no suicide pills.

Part of Command Module Pilot Michael Collin's training was going back alone.... in fact that's the very reason that in the manned missions the guy who didn't go on the moon was the pilot of the CSM... in addition to simply overloading people with too much responsibility.    The same thing with Gemini and the EVA walks... the guy inside had to prepare to cut them loose in face of catastrophe.  You can't lose 2 guys if you can help it.

It was still a very risky thing they did.  You had to rely on both the descent and ascent portion of the LM to function.  Lots of things had to go right.  If the LM couldn't even dock with the CSM then they'd be stuck as it was not built for reentry.   Gemini's purpose was to prove man could be in space for a long enough time, that they could do EVA, and that they could rendevouz and dock with another orbiter sent up previously.    The Apollo 1 fire almost killed the program.  WIthout it, and assuming everything went well, Gus Grissom would have been the first man on the moon.  Tight timelines and other circumstances meant each mission subsequently did something the previous one didn't do.  

If something did happen they would have figured out why and gone back, provided the politicians didn't get in the way.  

49 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Annie Ross wrote "Twisted" which most of us that have heard it only know as the cover Joni Mitchell did of it (with Cheech Martin adding a little color). Sort of explains the line about the double-decker buses, since I doubt Mitchell had much occasion to write about them in Saskatoon! xD

I had no idea anybody covered that song. It couldn't have been as good as the original, could it have? 😏

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I had no idea anybody covered that song. It couldn't have been as good as the original, could it have? 😏

Mitchell does it in pretty much the same style as Annie (bebop). Straight jazz arrangement - muted trumpet, base, drums. Mitchell could sing with a lot of the same interval pop. Plus a little novelty having Cheech riff in.