That sucks.

Tangentially related at best, my younger son stumbled across some Angry Video Game Nerd videos and became convinced that he could wipe the floor with the *tough* NES games (e.g. Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, etc.) as he is quite good at some popular games now.

Was shocked that he struggled to get past level 1, but more shocked to learn dad was much better than he.

• Like 1

Loved that game....I just cleaned our basement and found a bunch of old systems.  Saturn, Genesis, Nintendo, old play stations etc.  I set up all of them in a cabinet in the spare room, bought all the wires and finally got the old PS3 working last night.  Never played the guitar hero much, but plugged that all in (with microphone) and played the VH expansion on the guitar while my daughter tried singing the lyrics to some old school VH songs....it was pretty awesome.

• Like 1

Wouldn't make my top 20, though the NES had a huge number of titles, some which are still good today, which is remarkable considering the restrictions of the 8-bit system.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Wouldn't make my top 20, though the NES had a huge number of titles.

I may have jumped the gun calling it the GOAT but I definitely can't think of 20 games I like better.  Mario 3, Mega Man 3, Original Zelda, Tyson punch out, tecmo bowl, Double Dragon, RBI Baseball, Double Dribble and Blades of Steel.  Off the top of my head I think I'd put them along with Contra in the GOAT conversation.  

Castlevania 1&3, Tecmo Bowl, Tecmo Super Bowl, Mario 2, Mario 3 (probably the GOAT), Zelda (also GOAT consideration), Zelda 2, Mega Man 2 & 3, Ninja Gaiden, Tyson Punch Out, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 3, Shadowgate, Batman, TMNT, Crystalis, Kirby's Adventure, Battletoads (single player only), Ducktales, RC Pro Am, Metroid

I am probably missing a couple, but I like all those games better than Contra.

But I am not into shooters, either.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I may have jumped the gun calling it the GOAT but I definitely can't think of 20 games I like better.  Mario 3, Mega Man 3, Original Zelda, Tyson punch out, tecmo bowl, Double Dragon, RBI Baseball, Double Dribble and Blades of Steel.  Off the top of my head I think I'd put them along with Contra in the GOAT conversation.  

The games I loved are obviously the games I had when I was a kid.  Those are pretty much all in there.  I never really got into Zelda, but other than that one all the others were in my collection.

I would add track and field to the list because we played the heck out of that game.

Honestly opening up my first Nintendo when I was like 11 or so was THE best Christmas ever for me.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Castlevania 1&3, Tecmo Bowl, Tecmo Super Bowl, Mario 2, Mario 3 (probably the GOAT), Zelda (also GOAT consideration), Zelda 2, Mega Man 2 & 3, Ninja Gaiden, Tyson Punch Out, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior 3, Shadowgate, Batman, TMNT, Crystalis, Kirby's Adventure, Battletoads (single player only), Ducktales, RC Pro Am, Metroid

I am probably missing a couple, but I like all those games better than Contra.

But I am not into shooters, either.

TMNT might have been the best Nintendo game after SM3 and Zelda.

TMNT is really good and it is one of those games that often gets forgotten in the discussion.

I like Castlevania 3 a little more than TMNT, but CV3 is my favorite NES game.

Castlevania and RC Pro Am...how I forgot those I have no idea.  And as much as I played Techmo Bowl it really should not be on my list.

I also need to try and filter out games I only played at the arcade.....Guerrilla War was an all time one for me, but really only played at the arcade..

I need to really think about this....list compiling now:

(30 minutes later)

Top 10:

Super Mario

Double Dribble

Super Mario 3

Double Dragon

RC Pro Am

Castlevania

Track and Field

Contra

Metal Gear

Ice Hockey

Trying to put those in any kind of order is next to impossible.  It was hard enough narrowing it down to 10.

Honorable Mention:

Super Mario 2

Blades of Steel (to be honest I was really only in this game for the fighting option and the graphics...Ice Hockey was my #1)

Mega Man 2

Pro Wrestling

Track and Field 2

Punch Out

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I wonder what God told him when he entered the Pearly Gates

That kid should just retire from bowling now.  He will never make a shot that good ever again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

I wonder what God told him when he entered the Pearly Gates

Before you enter.....what is your favorite swear word?

The warmer weather obviously melted all the remaining snow we had on the ground. Yesterday I noticed what appeared to be a dead animal in my yard between the sidewalk and the street. Upon further investigation, it was exactly half of a dead animal. The back half of a rabbit, to be precise. For the life of me I can't figure that out. I didn't inspect it too much, but it didn't look as mangled as I would have expected if it had been attacked by another animal (some people claim to have seen coyotes in the area). If I had caught it in the snowblower, I think I would have noticed at the time...

5 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

The warmer weather obviously melted all the remaining snow we had on the ground. Yesterday I noticed what appeared to be a dead animal in my yard between the sidewalk and the street. Upon further investigation, it was exactly half of a dead animal. The back half of a rabbit, to be precise. For the life of me I can't figure that out. I didn't inspect it too much, but it didn't look as mangled as I would have expected if it had been attacked by another animal (some people claim to have seen coyotes in the area). If I had caught it in the snowblower, I think I would have noticed at the time...

Could be the other half of the rabbit that was caught up in your car years ago?

23 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Could be the other half of the rabbit that was caught up in your car years ago?

Oh boy, that was disgusting! At least this was still mostly frozen, so cleanup was easy. It was so bizarre that I considered taking a photo to prove it actually happened, but then I figured I would get labeled a budding serial killer or something.

Hah. I found a longer video and the "He was murdered..." was supposed to be the start of another story. Pretty bad delivery. 

Aw, darn it....

Dolphins not coming to Maumee River

TOLEDO, Ohio (WTVG) - On February 17, a satire website called Snickersee posted a joke web story about bottlenose dolphins coming to Maumee River and bringing dolphin watchers with them.

After numerous phone calls and emails, 13abc would like to officially squash the rumors. There are no dolphins in the Great Lakes. The University of Toledo marine biologist quoted in the story is fictitious.

13abc acquired a statement from a real aquatic scientist at the University of Toledo, Dr. Christine Mayer, professor of ecology. You can read her statement below:

"As a childhood fan of reruns of ‘Flipper,’ nothing would make me happier than dolphins moving into the Maumee River. Unfortunately, the source of this story is a satire website similar to ‘The Onion.’ The story is a joke. We did not participate in the story. There never has been and will never be a population of dolphins in the Great Lakes. Marine mammals do enter the Saint Lawrence River, which connects Lake Ontario to the Atlantic Ocean, but they don’t often travel past the point where the river switches from salt to fresh water. That is about as close as dolphins get to Lake Erie. It is a very long swim and would involve jumping over Niagara Falls. Even Flipper couldn’t do that.

The satire site chose to make up quotes from ‘marine biologists at The University of Toledo.’ However, those of us at UToledo who study the Great Lakes call ourselves ‘aquatic scientists’ because the word ‘marine’ only refers to oceans.

If people are interested in freshwater dolphins, there are a few populations in South America and Asia. The World Wildlife Federation website says that many of these populations face conservation challenges.”

Snickersee, the website that posted the farcical story, has its motto on the bottom of the page, "Cheap Plastic Shizz On The Internet. Satire, Funny Stories, Videos, Memes, and More."

work with Karen. Today there was an issue with a utility bill and the whole office was invited to listen to the call.