America’s largest state economy is California, which produced $2.44 trillion of economic output in 2015, just slightly above the GDP of France during the same period of $2.42 trillion. Consider this: California has a workforce of about 19 million compared to an employment level in France of slightly more than 25 million workers. Amazingly, it required 56% (and 9 million) more workers in France to produce the same economic output last year as California! That’s a testament to the superior, world-class productivity of the American worker.

USA! USA!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rhino said:

USA! USA!

I don't know how impressed I can be with CA for employing 6 million fewer workers. I was just in the great SoCal megalopolis for a week and two things were too obvious to miss, the number of street people everywhere and the level of wretched excess consumption by the uber riche on the other side of concrete canyons dividing one set of communities from another. If that is the best future the American economic miracle can muster, I'm left cold.

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't know how impressed I can be with CA for employing 6 million fewer workers. I was just in the great SoCal megalopolis for a week and two things were too obvious to miss, the number of street people everywhere and the level of wretched excess consumption by the uber riche on the other side of concrete canyons dividing one set of communities from another. If that is the best future the American economic miracle can muster, I'm left cold.

Let's judge an entire state on the one area you happened to be in. 

I live in Long Beach and it's pretty amazing here. The entire harbor area is a miracle in itself. 

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

Let's judge an entire state on the one area you happened to be in. 

I live in Long Beach and it's pretty amazing here. The entire harbor area is a miracle in itself. 

HaHa - Long Beach is where we were mostly. For sure it's easier to get turned off to the wretched xs if you wander up to Pasadena or the 'Hills', or even SF, but the critique is not particularly specific to CA, it's just the poster child for the inequality in the US because it's already where the rest of us are going.

And what were these "concrete canyons dividing one set of communities from another" in LB? I also don't think the level of "street people" is any different from any other warm climate city. They gave them a park on the main drag which makes it look worse than it really is, but it helps keep them out of the main business/shopping area. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Yoda said:

And what were these "concrete canyons dividing one set of communities from another" in LB? I also don't think the level of "street people" is any different from any other warm climate city. They gave them a park on the main drag which makes it look worse than it really is, but it helps keep them out of the main business/shopping area. 

You're cherry picking the text. The freeway reference wasn't tied to Long Beach, but if  you demand a nearby example, the West side of the 710 between the refinery and the port is a pretty striking contrast to what's on the other side.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

You're cherry picking the text. The freeway reference wasn't tied to Long Beach, but since you raise the question, the West side of the 710 between the refinery and the port is a pretty striking contrast to what's on the other side.

Fair enough. I've never been over there. That really isn't commonly considered a part of "Long Beach" even though it is in the city limits, I assume. There's also a 500-foot wide river separating them. It likely has more to do with that than the freeway.

31 minutes ago, Yoda said:

. There's also a 500-foot wide river separating them. It likely has more to do with that than the freeway.

the river bed is concrete as well so it's kind of a twin with the freeway...xD

TBF, if you like Long Beach I can't rag on that. So much of Southern California is either cookie cutter development like Irvine or just suburbia over multiplied. Long Beach is much more a human scale place with streets that still have stores and neighborhoods that don't look mass produced.

That's almost enough to make up for Vista del Golfo

You'll find that with every city in America. Not sure why you've decided to single out SoCal. I find that less here, at least on the coast, because most of these cities were established before all of the cookie-cuttering started happening. Clearly this just isn't the place for you. Go to Orlando where every freeway is a toll road and all your plans have to be based around when Disney hits rush hour.

Also, I'll take a freeway over snow any day. 

22 minutes ago, Yoda said:

You'll find that with every city in America. Not sure why you've decided to single out SoCal. I find that less here, at least on the coast, because most of these cities were established before all of the cookie-cuttering started happening. Clearly this just isn't the place for you. Go to Orlando where every freeway is a toll road and all your plans have to be based around when Disney hits rush hour.

Also, I'll take a freeway over snow any day. 

traffic is bad everywhere. I've lost multiple hours of my life sitting still in SoCal, FL, DC, Chicago, (not the east coast only because I seldom go there....) and it's even getting bad enough in Ann Arbor that you need to plan trips around shift change at U Hospital. Idiot Americans need to move closer to work (says he that used to be fool enough to put in 40K miles a yr getting back and forth to a job.....)

CA is just the topic because the contrasts are starker there - at least to me.

BTW - What was going on with the air last week? I've been going back and forth to CA since the bad old days when your eyes would sting as soon as you stepped off the airplane at LAX. But last week visibility was as bad as I've seen in a while other than the year of all the fires. Just water haze from all the moisture coming in or was there an inversion or something?

Our shop is moving into downtown LB soon and I'll be able to ride my bike every day. Right now it's only a 15 minute drive anyhow. Traffic moves quick across the harbor. 

I believe I am close to setting a new record for most Christmas cutout cookies consumed in one holiday season.  Anyone got a Guiness Book of World Records handy for reference?  Or a Guiness to help me wash these delectable morsels down?

My time at home in the UP for the holidays and work have come to an end.  Head back down to Grand Rapids tomorrow to celebrate the new year.  Buuuut, first I get to snow blow after work.  Last night between 6-10pm we got about 10 inches of snow, so my dad went out and cleared the drive way, I wake up this morning, another 6 inches are on the ground.  Got hammered.  He has to work late tonight, so I will clear our driveway and my grandmas, it's kind of fun.  Always interesting being in the UP for an extended period of time.

Yesterday it was 75 and sunny, so me, my lady friend, and our two dogs went on a 4-mile hike along the coast. 

It was miserable.