I saw that on Reddit this morning. Mind boggling that we can actually look at the terrain of an alien world.

Science....+1.

To be the first man to walk on Mars....how awesome would that be.  I would LOVE the opportunity....I am not sure if I would be able to do it though (minus the rigors of becoming an astronaut of course)...leaving the kids behind...I am not sure if I could do that.  

I am not sure what would make me prouder...if my son or daughter became astronauts or my son plays professional baseball.  I will encourage both a ton through school, science and baseball, and hopefully they love it as much as I do and decide to study it or practice it.

On 9/30/2016 at 10:01 AM, John_Brian_K said:

To be the first man to walk on Mars....how awesome would that be.  I would LOVE the opportunity....I am not sure if I would be able to do it though (minus the rigors of becoming an astronaut of course)...leaving the kids behind...I am not sure if I could do that.

Yeah, that would be the hard part for me... well, that and actually getting in shape physically... oh, and probably being smart enough to be an astronaut... But I think I could handle being physically isolated from (most) of humanity okay.  As long as I have enough reading/viewing material along and could occasionally communicate electronically I'd do fine there. 

So like in one area out of 20 or 30 areas I'd be an EXCELLENT astronaut candidate.  Better fill out that NASA application.

You know what is weird, I went back to the original page and that picture doesn't do that. It's a legit space page.
I don't understand how that happened.

I really hope this does not apply to business accounts. I use a ton of data at work. And I just signed up with them a little while ago.

Comcast gets closer to nationwide data caps with expansion in 18 states

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/10/comcast-gets-closer-to-nationwide-data-caps-with-expansion-in-18-states/

Here are the newly capped areas, according to a Comcast FAQ: Alabama (Dothan); California; Colorado; Florida (North Florida, Southwest Florida and West Palm); Southeastern Georgia; Idaho; Indiana (Indianapolis and Central Indiana, Fort Wayne and Eastern Indiana); Kansas; Michigan (Grand Rapids/Lansing, Detroit, and Eastern Michigan); Minnesota; Missouri; New Mexico; Western Ohio; Oregon; Texas (Houston); Utah; Washington; and Wisconsin.

EDIT: According to this page, business accounts have no data cap. Stream, stream, stream away!

I just got a letter than my account will be capped beginning Nov. 1st.

The good new is the month cap is 1 terabyte and my month usage is around the 240 GB range, so it should be a problem for me personally.  I suspect they are going more after those who are just EXTREME data users to dis-proportionally use data.  It could even be that they suspect these are business accounts and are trying to move them to the business side vs. residential side of things.

The bad news is that data rates will likely only go up.  As new tech, faster speeds, better video, etc. etc. etc... 1 TB might not be such a high amount in 3-5 years.

Also just had a thought... I bet part of this is to stop people from just getting Comcast data but using Netflix, Hulu, Playsation Vue, etc. as their entertainment sources.

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

... 1 TB might not be such a high amount in 3-5 years.

Also just had a thought... I bet part of this is to stop people from just getting Comcast data but using Netflix, Hulu, Playsation Vue, etc. as their entertainment sources.

exactamundo Red. They want you to think you are fine at 1TB before you learn that you will eat that for lunch if you start trying to stream 4K video as IP every night instead of taking your TV from them as fixed feed on the cable. And to some degree they will have a point. From an engineering perspective, It does make much more sense to do a single broadcast of high data rate entertainment video and have people record it locally for personal on demand consumption than to have 200 million separate 4K video streams going through the backbone every night just so folks can watch NCIS on Tuesday instead of Sunday.

I wonder how many people actually see the difference between 1080p and 4k? I would wager the vast majority don't. Also, 4k is not at all essential for most tv shows/movies. This isn't as big a deal as it was going from SD to HD. If you have a data cap, I would set your default to 1080p and you probably won't even notice. 

9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I wonder how many people actually see the difference between 1080p and 4k? I would wager the vast majority don't. Also, 4k is not at all essential for most tv shows/movies. This isn't as big a deal as it was going from SD to HD. If you have a data cap, I would set your default to 1080p and you probably won't even notice. 

I think it depends on the cost of large displays. If the market keeps going beyond 60", I'd guess 4k will probably matter. It's all about the pixel size. Once they get to a certain size, you want more of them so you can't see them again.

Found an online government auction website.  Found an 80" Sharp Aquo which originally retailed for 6900 and the high bid at the time was 600.00 with about 10 hours to go.  I bid up to 800.00, but kept getting automatically outbid by 10.00 every bid (probably an auto bidding system for a max bid from another user).  It was an older model (2013 I think) and I did not even really need a TV, but it would have been an upgrade in my bedroom and we could have moved the 55" down to the guest bedroom.

September I used 493 GB

August 674

July 448

My youngest son will ofen leave the Roku running on some of his programs.  Out of habit I will grab the roku remote and just hit the home button in case that happens.  

Question on that - I got a Roku 3 years ago...  I see newer ones.   Is it worth upgrading?  I use it for Netflix for the most part.

6 minutes ago, Yoda said:

How do you tell how much bandwidth you've used? 

If you have Comcast, go to your account page and it is there.