Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Rio 2016 - Men's Basketball

Not much to say after blowing out China.

I was a bit concerned after Australia beat France by so much.  I thought KD might switch nationalities and join the Australian team.

Crotia shocks Spain, I guess.

People need to realize this isn't the same Spanish team of the past few Olympics.  

I love all the room they have along the sidelines and baseline.  I hate how the NBA crowds both areas.  Paul George probably disagrees with me.

Hilarious. 

So best part of the Olympics is people aren't buying the margins of victory apparently. Made money off friends by giving them 30 in the last 2 US games 

3 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Hilarious. 

So best part of the Olympics is people aren't buying the margins of victory apparently. Made money off friends by giving them 30 in the last 2 US games 

Crazy. Give 30 twice and you don't have to even worry about either result.

Is there any team in this competition that could even give USA a game?

If not, what is the purpose of holding this event?

I think I would like to see them go to a U-23 format like soccer or something. Not sure how much of a competitive difference it would make, but it would at least be something different.

Australia, Spain, and maybe France can keep it somewhat close.  None have a real shot at winning though.  

I can't really think of any other Olympic event where the winning team is effectively determined before the competition even begins.

Or any other sport for that matter. Doesn't even have to be the olympics.

We left a lot of talent at home too.

James, Steph, Kawhi, Russ, Andre, Harden, Dame, and Paul.

Add Whiteside and Love and you probably beat this current team.    

After their loss to Brazil today, I doubt Spain even makes the medal round.  Plus, it looks like Pau made an enemy.

21 hours ago, Shelton said:

I can't really think of any other Olympic event where the winning team is effectively determined before the competition even begins.

Or any other sport for that matter. Doesn't even have to be the olympics.

Dominant sprinters come to mind for me.  I'm not sure how many times a #1 has been upset in the Olympics in the 100m or 200m, but it seems like the #1 is a mortal lock during the games.  The thing about sprinters is they are a hamstring away from finishing last at any given time, and once they tweak it, it's like the herpes of sports injuries.

I don't follow gymnastics.  But it appears everyone on earth besides me knew the US women would take gold this year.  

I wasn't referring to a dominant individual or team that comes into the games as a clear favorite and virtual lock to take gold in any particular year.

I think there is something fun about that.

There is no guarantee that in four years the women's gymnastics team, or sprinter X, is going to come in and win easily again.

I don't see a scenario in the foreseeable future where the USA men's basketball team won't sleepwalk their way to the gold medal.

For the most part I agree.  But thoughts of 2004 are still with me so I'm a bit hesitant.

A new coach is always a concern, but maybe not since it's going to be Pop.  

I'm really curious to see how they handle the scheduling changes for the next go around.  The world cup has been moved to the year before the Olympics starting in 2019.  If Team USA wants a two year commitment from these guys, a lot of them will probably pass.  I cant see NBA guys giving up two consecutive summers.  The lesser players will, the ones who wouldn't normally have a shot at the team.  And who knows, maybe those guys are enough to win with.

13 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don't see a scenario in the foreseeable future where the USA men's basketball team won't sleepwalk their way to the gold medal.

You are probably right, but Canada or Australia in four years could be a nice test.  Where USA basketball always wins is in depth, and there isn't another country that can come close to matching it.

There is just something about team USA basketball that rubs me the wrong way so I'm trying to drill down into it.

I have to wonder whether international tournament organizations are happy with the current setup where USA simply shows up and takes the gold.

It's not like you can exclude the US from a tournament, or make them play by different rules. And it's not like they will just stop having these international tournaments, so there probably isn't an easy solution.

Another issue is that we have our best players opting out of participating. That kind of devalues the whole exercise. Winning Olympic medals is supposed to be a career defining achievement, but it seems like our players treat it like a glorified participation ribbon. At the same time, I can't blame them. What's the purpose of all the time and training just to travel to a country and stay in a hotel or the like, and then have to play a bunch of blowout games.

I guess if it were up to me, I would change it to a U-23 (or some other younger age cutoff). FIBA can run a World Cup tournament or something that does away with the age restrictions if they must.

I'd watch a tournament that included a bunch of college players and nba rookies and sophomores. We would still have the best talent, but with younger and less experienced players, I think there would be enough variance in performance that there would at least be some question as to the ultimate outcome.

This may be off, but it feels like the competition is weaker than ever this year too. Feels like at least a couple teams could put together decent squads back in the day. 

Then again, our gymnasts and Phelps are blowing people out just as bad, and nobody seems to mind that. INteresting. 

39 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Has to be hard for DMC to be around this team then go back to his **** show.

ChQGFV6.png

I may be the only person who liked Sacramento's offseason though haha