Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

Best Tiger defensive play you've seen

What is the best defensive play for the Tigers that you remember?

3 come to mind for me and they all involve CFers and all came against Cleveland

1  - Curtis Granderson robbing Grady Sizemore of a 9th inning game winning HR in Cleveland to preserve a 1-0 CG win for Justin  Verlander.    I literally jumped out of my recliner and screamed. 

2 - Austin Jackson making the first out in the 9th inning of the Almost Perfect game.  When that ball got hit, I remember having a sinking feeling and you hear the crowd just groan.  I don't know that I have ever seen a play cover that much ground that fast and come up with a play.     Funny how that high went to absolute rage about 3 minutes later. 

3. Austin Jackson's double play to end the game against Cleveland. 

Granderson was who I thought of when I saw the thread title.  I was enjoying the thread until I saw Valverde in the Jackson highlights, and then I got angry.  He does that to me.

9 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

jose-iglesias-amazing-catch-2.gif

This one is easily the best that I've seen in person.  Just unbelievable how much ground the kid had to cover to make the play, and how he had to to run the route because of where he was and how he didn't have a great read on it from the beginning of it.  It wasn't a straight path that he ran it down with, it was a route towards the outfield at first, and the curved parallel along the 2nd to 3rd running lane.  So there's the range aspect to of it which is incredible (missing from the video above, not to be critical of you) and then there is the catch itself, which is highly unorthodox.

I have a bad memory for these things, but honorable mention for the Tyler Collins throw to the plate in Boston last week.

23 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I tried to find a gif of Neifi Perez in Verlander's first no-hitter. But, no luck. Here video of the whole thing

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v20046305/mildet-verlander-nohits-the-brewers

Fun Fact, I was there.

I frankly think Perez mis-played that a little initially then recovered it really well.

I was at the game as well. 

Granderson's grab on Sizemore to prevent the game winning two run homer and preserve JV's CG SHO is probably number 1 for me.

• Like 1

The Iglesias grab and throw while diving against the white sox shortly after we traded for him is up there, too.

I recall Chet Lemon's catch in 1984, they even made a commercial for it... but when I watched now... I've seen better.

What makes me sad is recalling when we had a good defensive CF.  Tori Hunter ruined him.

4 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Granderson's grab on Sizemore to prevent the game winning two run homer and preserve JV's CG SHO is probably number 1 for me.

It's gone! no its not.

The aborted HR call by the Cleveland announcer still makes me laugh.  My son and I recalled that just the other day in fact.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

The aborted HR call by the Cleveland announcer still makes me laugh.  My son and I recalled that just the other day in fact.

He has a call a few seasons ago of a solo home run that reduced Cleveland's deficit to single digits where he's popping veins out of pure excitement.  I think it was posted around these parts.

It feels like a million years ago, but at one point in a meaningless game Bobby Higginson threw out someone at 3rd from the warning track in right field.

I remember it being about the only highlight of the summer.

Anyone else remember more details?

Ooooohhhhhh I can't stand watching highlights through mlb.com.    Every single clip has a commercial.   I could understand every fourth clip, but no - its every single clip.    Can't stand it.  

Ooooohhhhhh I can't stand watching highlights through mlb.com.    Every single clip has a commercial.   I could understand every fourth clip, but no - its every single clip.    Can't stand it.  

Much better on the app, no commercials even if you don't have MLB Premium.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

On 8/1/2016 at 9:31 AM, Shelton said:

The Iglesias grab and throw while diving against the white sox shortly after we traded for him is up there, too.

That's the best one I ever saw live, except for the fact that a guy was standing up in front of me to transact for a beer with the vendor to to block my view of the out at first. 

Inge's or Iglesias's plays have to win here......because they not only had to make tremendous catches, but awesome throws as well.   

As far as best game winning play, I'd have to go with Granderson's.......it literally saved the game. 

I don't know if anyone remembers the Mike Maroth near no-hitter.   It was a back-to-back double header against Baltimore (maybe the last one they've had) and Mike started the second game,  Took a no-no into the 8th.  During that game Dmitri Young, playing a rare 3rd base, made a stellar dive and catch play.    Most players would not have had to dive for it, but he did and it was great.