Jump to content

T&P_Fan

2016 Lions Training Camp and Preseason Thread

Recommended Posts


On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 3:38 PM, Yoda said:

I get it. It's just a tweet. But pretending you don't see how it supports my post is pretty silly.

I am not sure you do get it, otherwise you wouldn't have given bullet point list.  You're reaching here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

MLive: 5 Players Who Have Shined and 5 Who Haven't During Camp

Really bummed to see more clout and uncertainty in this article about Deandre Levy.

There's a lot there to be unhappy about...

Tomlinson not being impressive makes me worried.  I know he's a rookie, but I expect a first rounder to be a solid starter at least.  He's getting run over my backup DLine men and reported started a couple of fights.  Not an impressive start.

The Levy stuff scares me too.  Maybe it's just that we're adopting the "Patriot Way" but the lack of any info makes me think this is a bigger deal.  I'm thinking Levy misses at least half the season.

If Tomlinson ends up being less than a good (great?) starter and if Levy misses significant time, that'll definitely hurt the Lions a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

There's a lot there to be unhappy about...

Tomlinson not being impressive makes me worried.  I know he's a rookie, but I expect a first rounder to be a solid starter at least.  He's getting run over my backup DLine men and reported started a couple of fights.  Not an impressive start.

The Levy stuff scares me too.  Maybe it's just that we're adopting the "Patriot Way" but the lack of any info makes me think this is a bigger deal.  I'm thinking Levy misses at least half the season.

If Tomlinson ends up being less than a good (great?) starter and if Levy misses significant time, that'll definitely hurt the Lions a lot.

Yeah, Tomlinson was supposed to be a key part of this offensive line taking two steps forward this year. I know it's early, but if early reports are our indicator for in-season performance, they don't look good for him. Now, reports have said Riley Reiff looks improved on the right side. But we can't keep having one lineman take a step forward and another one faltering back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ebron didn't practice today but was there.  Reports are he had a small limp but no cast, walking book or crutches.   That all sounds good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Ebron didn't practice today but was there.  Reports are he had a small limp but no cast, walking book or crutches.   That all sounds good.

That's good news.  No matter what you think of him... whether he deserved to be picked where he did or not (Mayhew's fault, not his) or whether he working hard enough as a player or not, I think we can all agree that the Lions are better with him right now than without.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Due to our roster construction, I could live with Levy and Ebron being our big injuries on the year(though it seems the latter is safe for now)

The major negative I am worried about above is probably Tomlinson. I still hold out plenty of hope, but I'd like to hear about him impressing. He did pick up down the stretch last year and had a very high pass block efficiency, so there is some room for hope IMO. Brute strength seems to be his major issue right now. Gotta hit that weight room. 

Kerley getting cut would show off pretty incredible WR depth IMO. He's a guy with a pretty productive history, a very low drop rate(key especially for a backup) and he's one of the league's better punt returners, where we were last in the league last year IIRC. Adding on to the drop rate point, I wonder if any WR corps has better hands than ours does. What a change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Due to our roster construction, I could live with Levy and Ebron being our big injuries on the year(though it seems the latter is safe for now)

The major negative I am worried about above is probably Tomlinson. I still hold out plenty of hope, but I'd like to hear about him impressing. He did pick up down the stretch last year and had a very high pass block efficiency, so there is some room for hope IMO. Brute strength seems to be his major issue right now. Gotta hit that weight room. 

Levy would be a huge injury.  The Lions aren't exactly blessed with quality depth at LB.

They could deal with an Ebron injury as he's not a big factor anyway but losing Levy would leave a big hole in that defense.

In any event, it seems like the Ebron injury isn't that serious so lets see if he can turn his game up a couple of notches.

The offensive line could very well be a huge issue again this season.  They aren't short on talent but are very short on experience and a lot of shffling around as well so guys getting used to new positions.  Poor Stafford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYLion said:

Levy would be a huge injury.  The Lions aren't exactly blessed with quality depth at LB.

They could deal with an Ebron injury as he's not a big factor anyway but losing Levy would leave a big hole in that defense.

In any event, it seems like the Ebron injury isn't that serious so lets see if he can turn his game up a couple of notches.

Levy is a great player, so I don't want to downplay that too much. That said, our LBs played very well without him last year and I expect to play even more nickel this year. Someone like Bostic,Van Noy, Williams or possibly Kilebrew would have to step up a bit to fill the depth void, but I think we could cover the starting spots just fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Levy is a great player, so I don't want to downplay that too much. That said, our LBs played very well without him last year and I expect to play even more nickel this year. Someone like Bostic,Van Noy, Williams or possibly Kilebrew would have to step up a bit to fill the depth void, but I think we could cover the starting spots just fine. 

They played better in garbage time when the season was well out of reach as did a lot of the defense but the first half of the year was UGLY.

The Lions just don't have the depth to withstand key injuries.  I'm not sold on any of their LBs outside of Levy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing Levy wouldn't really matter too much, he wasn't on the team last year either, so we are kind of used to him not being out there.  No one can be as slow as Tulloch was out there last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYLion said:

They played better in garbage time when the season was well out of reach as did a lot of the defense but the first half of the year was UGLY.

The Lions just don't have the depth to withstand key injuries.  I'm not sold on any of their LBs outside of Levy.

I don't believe there is garbage time in a 16 game season, everyone is battling for a job the following season.  The Lions withstood injury last season.  The poor first half last season was because of the dreadful Lombardi offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NYLion said:

They played better in garbage time when the season was well out of reach as did a lot of the defense but the first half of the year was UGLY.

The Lions just don't have the depth to withstand key injuries.  I'm not sold on any of their LBs outside of Levy.

Tulloch,Mathis and Ihedigbo all being replaced in some form by younger, faster defenders was huge, as was Ngata getting healthy. I don't buy garbage time either, as they were making a legitimate push at one point, killed by a bad call on Devin Taylor and  a subsequent miracle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Tulloch,Mathis and Ihedigbo all being replaced in some form by younger, faster defenders was huge, as was Ngata getting healthy. I don't buy garbage time either, as they were making a legitimate push at one point, killed by a bad call on Devin Taylor and  a subsequent miracle. 

**** that miracle.  Last year was the year of miracle against football teams I liked.  I watched the ESPYs and both the hail mary and the MSU block punt TD were up for play of the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Levy do another one of his crazy stunts in the offseason and got injured again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Losing Levy wouldn't really matter too much, he wasn't on the team last year either, so we are kind of used to him not being out there.  No one can be as slow as Tulloch was out there last season. 

I gotta disagree on this.  Yes, they didn't have him last year, but that doesn't mean we couldn't REALLY use him this year or that most people were expecting him to be back and to contribute heavily toward make the defense better.

It would be like saying: "We don't really need Tomlinson to play for us this year because we didn't have him last year, so..."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I gotta disagree on this.  Yes, they didn't have him last year, but that doesn't mean we couldn't REALLY use him this year or that most people were expecting him to be back and to contribute heavily toward make the defense better.

It would be like saying: "We don't really need Tomlinson to play for us this year because we didn't have him last year, so..."

 

We did have Tomlinson last year though.  But I get your point.  I won't believe Levy will play again til he actually suits up.  So again, I'm not really even counting it as anything.  If he plays and plays well it's only a bonus.  He hasn't been on the field since 2014.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

We did have Tomlinson last year though.  But I get your point.  I won't believe Levy will play again til he actually suits up.  So again, I'm not really even counting it as anything.  If he plays and plays well it's only a bonus.  He hasn't been on the field since 2014.

D'oh!  Sorry, meant Decker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

**** that miracle.  Last year was the year of miracle against football teams I liked.  I watched the ESPYs and both the hail mary and the MSU block punt TD were up for play of the year. 

Yah, rough year for us brother. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I gotta disagree on this.  Yes, they didn't have him last year, but that doesn't mean we couldn't REALLY use him this year or that most people were expecting him to be back and to contribute heavily toward make the defense better.

It would be like saying: "We don't really need Tomlinson to play for us this year because we didn't have him last year, so..."

 

Its a loss, but if you're going to lose a high level player, he was probably the most replaceable. Thats different than the loss not affecting us at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

We did have Tomlinson last year though.  But I get your point.  I won't believe Levy will play again til he actually suits up.  So again, I'm not really even counting it as anything.  If he plays and plays well it's only a bonus.  He hasn't been on the field since 2014.

Technially not true, but close enough

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pre-camp: our defense will be so much better with levy back! Ebron is going to bust out this year! Tomlinson is a foundation piece on the oline!

Post camp: those guys dont matter were better without them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will be a shame if ebron is hurt because it means he doesnt develop this year.  That being said, i think boldin will take a lot of his touches away even if he is healthy.

Levy being out is devastating considering how good he was 2 years ago.

Tomlinson struggling could just be one writer's interpretation of events.  Too early to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Pre-camp: our defense will be so much better with levy back! Ebron is going to bust out this year! Tomlinson is a foundation piece on the oline!

Post camp: those guys dont matter were better without them!

Nah, Levy is a big deal and would be a nice boost to the D. Just sayin' our D has showed it can play well without him and has improved in other spots. Losing Ansah is end of the world type ****. Losing Levy is a bummer, but survivable. You have to deal with injuries in the NFL. I get a weird feeling based on camp buzz and the like that they may have something in Van Noy too, but it could be offseason fluff. 

Tomlinson is a big deal. Schwartz is nice depth, but having Laken bust would hurt a lot. 

I think Ebron can bust out, but Boldin's signing protects us there, as they have similar roles in a way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stafford 14th, part of tier 2 again in the annual Sando tier rankings(based on polling people within the NFL). Seems about fair. I expect him to be a top 10 QB this year, but close enough based on what he's actually done. I blame Lombardi for him not already being there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...