Jump to content
Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

Recommended Posts

What are the chances the Republicans are purposely torpedoing any chance for stimulus they know the economic damage will become most apparent after January, because they sense that Biden will win the election? Then they can hang the recession/depression on Biden (and the congressional democrats) and position themselves of the 2022 mid-terms.

1 big thing: The price of Washington's stimulus failure

1600762377038.jpg

 

Illustration: Eniola Odetunde/Axios

 

America's elected representatives have failed the country.

  • Why it matters: The bipartisan inability to deliver economic stimulus could impede economic growth for months to come, Axios' Alayna Treene and Dan Primack write.
  • It will create widespread damage across America — from small businesses to large industries to schools and day cares — and leave many Americans without jobs or homes.

The state of play: The initial economic stimulus, called the CARES Act, was only designed to last through the summer. Since then, congressional leaders have become too entrenched in partisan positions to reach another deal.

  • The House passed a large package in May that went nowhere. Senate Republicans tried, but failed, to pass a skinnier bill earlier this month.

Before Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death Friday, most lawmakers and Hill staff believed there was little chance of passing a new stimulus package before the election.

  • Now, they privately admit there’s virtually no shot.

We turned to Axios' subject matter experts to examine the damage created by Washington's inaction.

The unemployed: Under the CARES Act, unemployed Americans received an extra $600 per week in enhanced benefits. But those benefits expired at the end of July.

  • 30 million Americans are still receiving unemployment benefits.

Small businesses: Both Democrats and Republicans agree there's urgent need for a second round of stimulus loans for small businesses, which employ nearly half of all Americans.

  • Yet there's no movement to reauthorize the Paycheck Protection Program, nor to pass a separate proposal aimed at restaurants and bars.

Elections: State election officials of both parties from across the country have begged Congress for stimulus funds to help ensure the November elections run efficiently and fairly, per Axios' Stef Kight.

  • In the face of Congress' failure, charities have stepped in to donate hundreds of millions of dollars to state and local election officials, AP reports.

Airlines: The clock is ticking for tens of thousands of anxious airline employees, who face mass layoffs when the government's current payroll support program expires on Sept. 30, per Axios' Joann Muller.

Schools: Schools and day cares are bleeding out without much-needed federal dollars.

  • A generation of kids could get left behind, particularly those in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods.

Health care: Many Americans are forgoing health care in favor of paying rent or grocery bills, per Axios' Caitlin Owens.

That assumes, of course, that we still have not veered into complete sham election territory in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FanDuel Michigan Sports Betting

FanDuel Michigan $100 Launch Offer

Michigan online sports betting is launching shortly ( December 2020 or January 2021). Pre-register at FanDuel Sportsbook and get $50 free sports bets + $50 free online casino bets with no deposit necessary. Claim $100 at FanDuel Michigan Now

politico

Quote

-- DEMS ARE PUTTING $570,000 into Michigan’s 3rd Congressional District, which is currently held by the retiring Libertarian-but-once-GOP Rep. JUSTIN AMASH. The district has been in Republican hands for nearly 30 years. This reservation is split between Grand Rapids broadcast and cable.

GOP pushes Amash out, put's in a "Meijer" and even with that, Dems are smelling blood and going for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Buddha said:

The United States and Iran were not the only signatories to that deal.  The major European powers were also signatories.  The United States pulled out of the nuclear deal but Europe did not.  Did Iran keep to their agreements with the European powers regarding the deal?

How much of an education do you need?

Why don't you do a little research and get back to me when you can actually participate in this discussion. You're obviously not there at this point in time...

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember when people told me fashbook was biased against conservatives 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

politico

GOP pushes Amash out, put's in a "Meijer" and even with that, Dems are smelling blood and going for it.  

Strange days indeed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

How much of an education do you need?

Why don't you do a little research and get back to me when you can actually participate in this discussion. You're obviously not there at this point in time...

Come on man, I appreciate your disdain of anything Trump, but Buddah is one of the smartest policy people in this forum.  He can hang in there just fine in any discussion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CC: Buddha

RE: Things the Trump Administration has done that I approve of.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the thoughts on Breonna Taylor here?  Based on my knowledge of the case, sounds like the DA did exactly what should have happened in regards to the police.  I feel the real issue is a legislative issue, not a police issue though.  I made the mistake of watching some mainstream news though.  Fox news - it's all about how awesome citizens are in defending the Louisville and how horrible BLM rioters are.  CNN - it's all about how justice for Breonna didn't happen and how sad that is.  Both are doing nothing to talk to the facts so the actual issue could be addressed, both are just stoking their sides.  So tiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

What are the thoughts on Breonna Taylor here?  Based on my knowledge of the case, sounds like the DA did exactly what should have happened in regards to the police.  I feel the real issue is a legislative issue, not a police issue though.  I made the mistake of watching some mainstream news though.  Fox news - it's all about how awesome citizens are in defending the Louisville and how horrible BLM rioters are.  CNN - it's all about how justice for Breonna didn't happen and how sad that is.  Both are doing nothing to talk to the facts so the actual issue could be addressed, both are just stoking their sides.  So tiring.

100%.   Appears to me to be a systemic issue for which the family received $12M compensation. Seems unjust to me to hold the officers criminally liable for doing their jobs assuming it was a systemic problem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems unjust to me to hold anyone criminally liable for shooting someone assuming we have the second amendment. Call it a systemic problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VegasTiger said:

Seems unjust to me to hold anyone criminally liable for shooting someone assuming we have the second amendment. Call it a systemic problem.

To me, this was the only illegal thing that happened.  How they could charge him initially is beyond me, but is typical practice with our current policing/DA teamwork.

I think the Breonna case is a perfect example of, i'm not going to say systematic racism, but let's say a systematic failure in policing/prosecution.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mtutiger said:

CC: Buddha

RE: Things the Trump Administration has done that I approve of.

What are the chances this is a rogue deep state State Department official speaking on his own?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 10:05 PM, ewsieg said:

What are the thoughts on Breonna Taylor here?  Based on my knowledge of the case, sounds like the DA did exactly what should have happened in regards to the police.  I feel the real issue is a legislative issue, not a police issue though.  I made the mistake of watching some mainstream news though.  Fox news - it's all about how awesome citizens are in defending the Louisville and how horrible BLM rioters are.  CNN - it's all about how justice for Breonna didn't happen and how sad that is.  Both are doing nothing to talk to the facts so the actual issue could be addressed, both are just stoking their sides.  So tiring.

i dont think they charged them correctly.  at the very least, i think they should have had manslaughter charges filed and had to defend them.

the police had a warrant to search the house.  surveillance indicated that she had had lots of contact with her ex-boyfriend, who was a known drug dealer in louisville.  she had bailed him out multilple times.  she had been seen passing packages to him after he had been bailed out.  at the very least, there was a suspicion that she may have been aiding him in dispersal of illegal substances.

the police show up at her house in the middle of the night.  she is there but her ex boyfriend is not.  she is there with another man who is apparently her new boyfriend.  the police claim they knocked once.  and then knocked again.  and then heard some rustling inside and then announced themselves as police.  after not being let in, they broke down the door.

as they did, taylor's new beau fired his gun and hit on of the officers in the leg.  after hearing the shots, the officers then fired multiple shots in response.  a number of those bullets hit taylor and killed her.  her new boyfriend was not hurt.  he was initially arrested but then released and the charges were dismissed.

taylor's boyfriend claims the police never announced themselves.  the police claim they did.  we will never know.  if they did and he fired a gun at them, then they were justified to respond.  however, i have my doubts that they did.  and at the very least, that should have been up to a jury to decide.  i think that at the very least, the officer whose bullet struck taylor and killed her should face charges of manslaughter and have to defend himself.  not murder, but manslaughter at the very least.

i think the grand jury undersold the charges on purpose to protect the police officers.  as opposed to the george floyd situation where the attorney general oversold the charges in order to placate the mob and make himself look better politically.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/cyberattack-hits-major-u-s-hospital-system-n1241254?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_mj&fbclid=IwAR30lnFpjM9yoBYqGAcazc0c-WtgXXTGy7NcXKTcPa3MR_e1xnju6g8I_Ig&fbclid=IwAR0Pz2F0Ejp-yGjJiSC6AEM6JHuA2HLGXeUfbw3ZV-CBNZ70VzdNdfgHD8w&fbclid=IwAR0NX9ws0zJznCu-lftoJTg6BJylBgxi7WHHWRvpKZ4NtAm7SguhE_fOAnI&fbclid=IwAR0NWozM0s_k3_m2gqkLpRtf2AmWUrzZx4M5_A4vSIz82NmURfppMsawmbs
 

Quote

A major hospital chain has been hit by what appears to be one of the largest medical cyberattacks in United States history.

Computer systems for Universal Health Services, which has more than 400 locations, primarily in the U.S., began to fail over the weekend, and some hospitals have had to resort to filing patient information with pen and paper, according to multiple people familiar with the situation

 

Universal Health Services did not immediately respond to requests for comment, but speaking anonymously, one person familiar with the company’s response efforts who is not authorized to speak to the press said that the attack “looks and smells like ransomware.”

 

Their website shows a partnership wit Beaumont 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, chasfh said:

What are the chances the Republicans are purposely torpedoing any chance for stimulus they know the economic damage will become most apparent after January, because they sense that Biden will win the election? Then they can hang the recession/depression on Biden (and the congressional democrats) and position themselves of the 2022 mid-terms.

1 big thing: The price of Washington's stimulus failure

1600762377038.jpg

 

Illustration: Eniola Odetunde/Axios

 

America's elected representatives have failed the country.

  • Why it matters: The bipartisan inability to deliver economic stimulus could impede economic growth for months to come, Axios' Alayna Treene and Dan Primack write.
  • It will create widespread damage across America — from small businesses to large industries to schools and day cares — and leave many Americans without jobs or homes.

The state of play: The initial economic stimulus, called the CARES Act, was only designed to last through the summer. Since then, congressional leaders have become too entrenched in partisan positions to reach another deal.

  • The House passed a large package in May that went nowhere. Senate Republicans tried, but failed, to pass a skinnier bill earlier this month.

Before Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's death Friday, most lawmakers and Hill staff believed there was little chance of passing a new stimulus package before the election.

  • Now, they privately admit there’s virtually no shot.

We turned to Axios' subject matter experts to examine the damage created by Washington's inaction.

The unemployed: Under the CARES Act, unemployed Americans received an extra $600 per week in enhanced benefits. But those benefits expired at the end of July.

  • 30 million Americans are still receiving unemployment benefits.

Small businesses: Both Democrats and Republicans agree there's urgent need for a second round of stimulus loans for small businesses, which employ nearly half of all Americans.

  • Yet there's no movement to reauthorize the Paycheck Protection Program, nor to pass a separate proposal aimed at restaurants and bars.

Elections: State election officials of both parties from across the country have begged Congress for stimulus funds to help ensure the November elections run efficiently and fairly, per Axios' Stef Kight.

  • In the face of Congress' failure, charities have stepped in to donate hundreds of millions of dollars to state and local election officials, AP reports.

Airlines: The clock is ticking for tens of thousands of anxious airline employees, who face mass layoffs when the government's current payroll support program expires on Sept. 30, per Axios' Joann Muller.

Schools: Schools and day cares are bleeding out without much-needed federal dollars.

  • A generation of kids could get left behind, particularly those in economically disadvantaged neighborhoods.

Health care: Many Americans are forgoing health care in favor of paying rent or grocery bills, per Axios' Caitlin Owens.

That assumes, of course, that we still have not veered into complete sham election territory in the first place.

High, because of the payroll tax poison pill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lindsey said “Democratic Party”. Is he softening? 😏

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Lindsey said “Democratic Party”. Is he softening? 😏

Nice catch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of those rumored to run for the seat is DJT Jr

Just another reason to hope for a D blowout in November

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just lock them up and be done with it. They could use a few days in the Wayne County Correctional Institution 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

FanDuel Sportsbook Michigan - Sports Betting is launching in Michigan shortly (December 2020 or January 2021). If you register before it launches you will recieve $50 dollars at their online sportsbook and online casino!

Click Here to claim the FanDuel Michigan for $50 at Online Sportsbook & Casino Pre-registration Bonus Now

Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...