Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It may give an indication whether the suspect did act violently toward the officer just like an infraction 3 years ago against an officer doesn't mean they will shoot a suspect. 

the officer would not know that at the time in dealing with the suspect.

I'm speaking to cases where the facts of the incident are not much in dispute but people still bring up the victim's past... "well he was caught shoplifting once.... he's no angel".  I saw it with George Floyd.

Not being an angel is not a death sentence.

10 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Neither one of them give authorization to a cop to play judge, jury, and executioner.

While those may not give a cop the authorization, they do have the authorization to play judge, jury, and executioner though assuming certain specific protocols are followed.  

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

While those may not give a cop the authorization, they do have the authorization to play judge, jury, and executioner though assuming certain specific protocols are followed.  

Especially when you're dealing with a suspect who has resisted arrest, been tazed twice, and has entered his vehicle to allegedly obtain a weapon (knife).  If this was a white-on-white or black-on-black incident, we probably wouldn't be talking about this.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

the officer would not know that at the time in dealing with the suspect.

I'm speaking to cases where the facts of the incident are not much in dispute but people still bring up the victim's past... "well he was caught shoplifting once.... he's no angel".  I saw it with George Floyd.

Not being an angel is not a death sentence.

I'm not talking about that situation. I'm saying a situation like Michael Brown in Ferguson. All you had were eye witness accounts who painted him as a choir boy. The cop's version was that Brown charged him. Michael Brown earlier that day robbed a store by shoving a clerk into a display rack. That history makes it more believable to me that he would charge a cop. Just like we demanded to know that officer's history and whether it fit his history on if he would shoot someone with his hands up. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not talking about that situation. I'm saying a situation like Michael Brown in Ferguson. All you had were eye witness accounts who painted him as a choir boy. The cop's version was that Brown charged him. Michael Brown earlier that day robbed a store by shoving a clerk into a display rack. That history makes it more believable to me that he would charge a cop. Just like we demanded to know that officer's history and whether it fit his history on if he would shoot someone with his hands up. 

Actually most of the eye witness accounts described him attacking the cop and charging him again.  Unfortunately certain groups focused on the lone account that claimed 'hands up, don't shoot'.

3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Especially when you're dealing with a suspect who has resisted arrest, been tazed twice, and has entered his vehicle to allegedly obtain a weapon (knife).  If this was a white-on-white or black-on-black incident, we probably wouldn't be talking about this.

So much is speculation, but I've seen reports that he wouldn't give keys back to his GF as well.  So while the narrative we see in the media is 'they killed him in front of his kids who were in the car', I haven't seen anyone inquire if he was in the process of kidnapping them.

51 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I haven't seen anyone inquire if he was in the process of kidnapping them.

I have.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Euphdude said:

From what I understand, this was not known at the time of the incident but the presence of a knife in the car was revealed after the fact, during the course of the Wisconsin AGs investigation.

7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Of course. We always hear the protestors wanting to know who the cop is, how long they have been with the force, and any outstanding disciplinary action. Shaun King was ready to out every officer on the Kenosha force until we get that information. 

Its possible to simultaneously think there are issues with policing in the country while also thinking Shaun King is an idiot. 

50 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

From what I understand, this was not known at the time of the incident but the presence of a knife in the car was revealed after the fact, during the course of the Wisconsin AGs investigation.

I thought that they had audio of the encounter that had the officers ordering him to drop the knife.

5 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I have.

And what did they discover?

Sadly, coverage here has tilted strongly toward whatever narrative is preferred by the reporting body.

5 minutes ago, Melody said:

I thought that they had audio of the encounter that had the officers ordering him to drop the knife.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/08/28/fact-check-jacob-blake-didnt-brandish-knife-kenosha-shooting/5653800002/

At best, the knife seems inconclusive at the moment. My previous understanding was that the knife was on the floorboard of the car. We'll find out soon enough.

9 minutes ago, Melody said:

Sadly, coverage here has tilted strongly toward whatever narrative is preferred by the reporting body.

Alternatively, maybe some are just able to distinguish the fact that there may have been legitimate reasons for Blake to have been arrested with the question of whether the level of force used by the officer was acceptable or not. 

At first reporting of this incident, for whatever reason, one of the first things that ran across my mind was - why didn’t anyone (police, mother, friends) get those kids out of the car before it all went ballistic? Wasn’t that possible?

(I don’t know why that’s the way my brain processed this)

They couldn't secure the suspect with the people they had there.  They couldn't really afford to cut someone loose to get the kids out of the car.  

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

They couldn't secure the suspect with the people they had there.  They couldn't really afford to cut someone loose to get the kids out of the car.  

Weren’t there, like, 6-8 cops there?

I can’t be the only one thinking how ineptly this encounter was handled, but still am shocked at the incredibly violent ending.

3 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

Weren’t there, like, 6-8 cops there?

I can’t be the only one thinking how ineptly this encounter was handled, but still am shocked at the incredibly violent ending.

Relating to a domestic violence situation?  Sadly, I am not at all shocked.  Some men consider their wives/girlfriends as personal property,  

Worth reiterating: you can believe that the reason the LEOs engaged Mr. Blake was 100% legitimate, yet feel the way that the engagement was handled and ended was poor.

This isn't an either/or situation.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Worth reiterating: you can believe that the reason the LEOs engaged Mr. Blake was 100% legitimate, yet feel the way that the engagement was handled and ended was poor.

This isn't an either/or situation.

Indeed, many variables.  Even for the result I feel like there are more possibilities.  On paper (or video rather here) it looks bad, but may not have been handled as bad.   If it turns out the cops knew about a knife and we find out he reached for it, might go down as the only thing the officer is guilty of is a bad shot (7 shots vs let's say 2).  

I want the actual evidence though.  There is a part of me that says "Of course the cop said 'drop the knife'", that's what they want the citizens to hear and of course they found a knife in the car (without mentioning where). 

10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

She wasn't discussing the domestic violence situation, so I am guessing she is referring to him being gunned down.

Those tend to go from sugar to s**t really fast because the negative energy is there before the police arrive.  

Is this really the mindset of Kenosha and other red county police departments?

20 hours ago, Euphdude said:

do we ever talk about incidents where cops kill unarmed white people?  it happens a lot more than cops killing unarmed black people.