Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not at all, and yet he apologized to me for not doing so. Weird, isn't it?

From the sounds of your story, he apologized after you accused him of failing to do it. So I guess I assumed this was something that is supposed to happen. I’d never heard of that before.

Anyway, I agree that coming back into the store and asking for the thing you paid for but left in the parking lot is definitely a privilege that many don’t have. Or, it’s a privilege that many would at least think they didn’t have. 

I suspect the cashier/bagger is going to make a point to tell people when he puts stuff on the bottom of the cart going forward. So at least society is now better off in that regard. And someone else got some free Stella, too!

There really is a disconnect in this line of messaging, however effective it may be.

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

There really is a disconnect in this line of messaging, however effective it may be.

I think the point they are trying to make is that if you elect Joe Biden, what is happening in the inner cities will happen in the suburbs. Trump has been able to keep the rioting contained in the inner cities but all **** will break loose if you elect Biden. 

It is effective messaging. Bush won re-election on the platform of keeping America safe despite the largest terrorist attack in history happening under his watch. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think the point they are trying to make is that if you elect Joe Biden, what is happening in the inner cities will happen in the suburbs. Trump has been able to keep the rioting contained in the inner cities but all **** will break loose if you elect Biden. 

It is effective messaging. Bush won re-election on the platform of keeping America safe despite the largest terrorist attack in history happening under his watch. 

I get the messaging, but it's still happening in Donald Trump's America.

Donald Trump is still the President of Portland, Minneapolis and Kenosha, whether he likes it or not.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Donald Trump is still the President of Portland, Minneapolis and Kenosha, whether he likes it or not.

I'm not saying it's accurate but it is effective and similar messaging worked with Bush. I think if it were any Republican other than Trump, they would be way ahead of Biden right now with similar messaging. 

I missed this one.... basically an endorsement of the violence

Like, at some point, you are either part of the problem or part of the solution, right?

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

"If they don't treat you right, I don't call"

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm not saying it's accurate but it is effective and similar messaging worked with Bush. I think if it were any Republican other than Trump, they would be way ahead of Biden right now with similar messaging. 

If it were any other Republican than Trump who was President right now, I don't think we would see the violence on the streets like we have right now. 

Just now, mtutiger said:

If it were any other Republican than Trump who was President right now, I don't think you would see the violence on the streets like we do right now. 

There were riots in Ferguson, Baltimore and Milwaukee under Obama. I do think riots would still have happened without Trump but violence like what happened in Portland would not have happened nor clearing the streets in DC for photo ops. Minneapolis still happens and a typical Republican would leverage that in their campaign. 

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Rioting has always stayed in the cities for the most part.    That's like giving Trump credit for North Korea not nuking anybody.   

Also, what exactly has Trump done to keep the crime out of the suburbs?  

30 minutes ago, Shelton said:

From the sounds of your story, he apologized after you accused him of failing to do it. So I guess I assumed this was something that is supposed to happen. I’d never heard of that before.

Anyway, I agree that coming back into the store and asking for the thing you paid for but left in the parking lot is definitely a privilege that many don’t have. Or, it’s a privilege that many would at least think they didn’t have. 

I suspect the cashier/bagger is going to make a point to tell people when he puts stuff on the bottom of the cart going forward. So at least society is now better off in that regard. And someone else got some free Stella, too!

"Accuse" is a strong word that makes it sound like I was being a complete dick about it. I know I'm a person of interest in this story, but I can assure you it didn't go down like that, because I made a point not to place direct blame on him. It was more, "Aw, man, I shoulda known it was there." That's when he apologized and said he should let people know when he does that.

So, you're right: I helped make the American social fabric just a little better on Sunday. I'm proud of me. 😜

Just now, tiger337 said:

Rioting has always stayed in the cities for the most part.    That's like giving Trump credit for North Korea not nuking anybody.   

Also, what exactly has Trump done to keep the crime out of the suburbs?  

Like I said, I don't agree with it but it's messaging that works. Just look at 2004. How many times prior or after 2001 had jetliners been flown into buildings? It happened once under Bush and yet he was able to spin as he kept us safe. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

There were riots in Ferguson, Baltimore and Milwaukee under Obama. I do think riots would still have happened without Trump but violence like what happened in Portland would not have happened nor clearing the streets in DC for photo ops. Minneapolis still happens and a typical Republican would leverage that in their campaign. 

Does Kenosha still happen?

To an extent, the inability to actually *do* anything in the aftermath of George Floyd is a massive problem. And Donald Trump, who prefers to be a passive observer as opposed to actually trying to bridge racial divides, bears some responsibility there.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

"Accuse" is a strong word that makes it sound like I was being a complete dick about it. I know I'm a person of interest in this story, but I can assure you it didn't go down like that, because I made a point not to place direct blame on him. It was more, "Aw, man, I shoulda known it was there." That's when he apologized and said he should let people know when he does that.

So, you're right: I helped make the American social fabric just a little better on Sunday. I'm proud of me. 😜

Either you have never worked in customer service or it has been a long time since you have. The first thing you learn is fake empathy. No matter who is at fault, you always apologize. 

Fakety fake or not, I was white, I was cordial, and I got free replacement beer out of the deal.

As I think about it, it probably also helps that I'm late-middle-aged. If I were a white guy of college age, it might not have gone so my way. So there's probably a bit of age privilege at hand here, too.

Just now, mtutiger said:

Does Kenosha still happen?

To an extent, the inability to actually *do* anything in the aftermath of George Floyd is a massive problem. And Donald Trump, who prefers to be a passive observer as opposed to actually trying to bridge racial divides, bears some responsibility there.

I'm pretty certain Rittenhouse doesn't go up there shooting. I think a different Republican would give some empty platitudes but still leverage the violence in Minneapolis. Don't need multiple events. Republicans rode Benghazi for years and they could have used Minneapolis. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Republicans rode Benghazi for years and they could have used Minneapolis. 

I honestly don't think Hillary lost because of Benghazi.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Fakety fake or not, I was white, I was cordial, and I got free replacement beer out of the deal.

As I think about it, it probably also helps that I'm late-middle-aged. If I were a white guy of college age, it might not have gone so my way. So there's probably a bit of age privilege at hand here, too.

Of course there is age bias. Imagine if a 20 year old try to go into the store to score free beer. The store and cashier would be in a lot of hot water. 

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You did you neighborhood a service. Although I suppose you did a disservice to the folks out there prowling for all of the unattended groceries that were left on the bottom of the carts because that guy wasn’t telling people where he was putting their groceries. You may want to consider buying some extra stuff and leaving it in the parking lot to make up for it. 

I wonder, if the kid (I forget if it was a kid or not but I’m assuming it was a kid) hadn’t felt like he was at fault, would he have been so amenable to letting you grab another 12 pack? It’s a fascinating mystery that I will carry with me for at least the next 30 minutes. 

Just now, mtutiger said:

I honestly don't think Hillary lost because of Benghazi.

I don't know. I think Benghazi built in a negative favorability of Hillary before she ever ran. The emails then put her over the top. Minneapolis would be the new emails since it happened during the election year. I also believe protests would have happened across the country and that would have been spun as violence. 

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

You did you neighborhood a service. Although I suppose you did a disservice to the folks out there prowling for all of the unattended groceries that were left on the bottom of the carts because that guy wasn’t telling people where he was putting their groceries. You may want to consider buying some extra stuff and leaving it in the parking lot to make up for it. 

I wonder, if the kid (I forget if it was a kid or not but I’m assuming it was a kid) hadn’t felt like he was at fault, would he have been so amenable to letting you grab another 12 pack? It’s a fascinating mystery that I will carry with me for at least the next 30 minutes. 

The kid may have felt if his manager found out he would get fired so he gave him the beer to get him out of the store. I'm surprised a cashier had that amount of authority to let a customer walk out with beer and not even the one he purchased. My old loss prevention manager would go nuts if we did that. 

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Not me. I've already forgotten what we're talking about.

Awesome! I wasn't sure whether to give that a laughie or a trophy.

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Hurricane Laura is a good example of Cancel Culture run amok

• Haha 1