Jump to content

Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, CMRivdog said:

It does seem troublesome that Trump spends a great deal of time preaching fear and strong discipline while the results of Trump’s actions fall at the feet of Biden

One definitely understands the politics of it and why people are trying to put it at his feet... my question is, aside from going out and denouncing violence (which his campaign has done on multiple occasions, including in Kenosha), what else is he supposed to do, and will it ever be enough?

As someone who like to think about issues in terms of problem solving, it just gets tiring hearing people saying "Trump's gonna use this, the Biden campaign should be concerned" over and over again without anyone proposing an appropriate response. Especially considering that Biden, unlike Trump, does not have any statutory authority at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Melody said:

Rioting, vandalism, and looting is not protesting.  And walking down the middle of the street shooting people with a rifle is not helping establish law and order.  People have lost their ever-loving minds.

What's really heartbreaking is that members of the Blake family, basically in unison, have come out about as forcefully against the rioting as they possibly could in the circumstances. But it falls on deaf ears.... and now, as a result, we aren't focused on what happened to Mr. Blake, and we are now focused on fighting on the streets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Let’s not let politics divide us.  Remember, there are good people that protest and there are good people that murder them with long guns.

Everyone murders people.

Sincerely,

T. Pryor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Melody said:

Rioting, vandalism, and looting is not protesting.  

Are people arguing that rioting, vandalism, and looting is protesting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

What's really heartbreaking is that members of the Blake family, basically in unison, have come out about as forcefully against the rioting as they possibly could in the circumstances. But it falls on deaf ears.... and now, as a result, we aren't focused on what happened to Mr. Blake, and we are now focused on fighting on the streets.

yeah, that's the cause of it....................................................................................................................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Thanks for letting myself and everyone know my sarcastic comment was sarcastic.

Anytime, sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Anytime, sport.

So long as it does not interfere with dystopian concern trolling, its a good use of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

So long as it does not interfere with dystopian concern trolling, its a good use of time.

There we go.

Is Ol' Paint dead yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pfife said:

yeah, that's the cause of it....................................................................................................................................

Not sure if you are or aren't agreeing, but there has been a lot less focus on what happened to Mr. Blake as a direct result of what has transpired in Kenosha the last couple of nights.

And I wish some of these "allies" in the streets would understand that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Melody said:

It is too bad that the Kenosha PD doesn't wear body cameras.  Sometimes that video, which shows the entire encounter and not a little snippet, clears the police.  Sometimes it condemns them.  But at least you know.   I heard there is audio and the police were shouting repeatedly, "drop the knife!"  Twice in the past year in my community the department has quickly released body camera video and quashed rumors that were not factual and that was what settled the crowds down.  In these times it is just stupidity to send officers out without body cameras.

Rioting, vandalism, and looting is not protesting.  And walking down the middle of the street shooting people with a rifle is not helping establish law and order.  People have lost their ever-loving minds.

Doubtful. The twitter mob has spoken. In Detroit, eye witness reports were that the police shot an unarmed man who was holding a cellphone. Witnesses claimed the cops just chased him down and shot him 15 times in the back. Body camera footage shows the guy pulled a gun and fired a couple shots at the face of the cop from about 3 feet away. The police shot him four times killing him. Even after the body camera footage was released, there are groups who still believe he was murdered, feel the police are hiding something, and want all the cops and chief fired and charged. For good measure Rashida Tlaib has met and supported this group. This guy was also a suspect in the killing of four blacks. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not sure if you are or aren't agreeing, but there has been a lot less talk about what happened to Mr. Blake as a direct result of what has transpired in Kenosha the last couple of nights.

And I wish some of these "allies" in the streets would understand that.

I don't think that's a direct result.   I think there are many other factors that influence what we're talking about in relation to the Mr. Blake incident.   A large one would be a whole political party literally TRYING to get everyone to focus on riots.  Not only that - they are literally making up that riots will come to YOUR TOWN.   So if there weren't riots, this group has demonstrated they will make them up out of whole cloth in order to flog them.

Furthermore, I would argue, based on a brief reflection of every time this happens, we end up arguing about something other than what happened to the person who got shot.  Sometimes it's riots.   Other times it's the person's criminal record.  It goes on and on and on. 

Now we're still going to talk about "riots" instead of additional murders and shootings.   And a huge part if it is b/c there are huge segments of the population that benefit from keeping focus on "riots".    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This reference is over my head.

I'm sure it's not.

As long as the horse is still lingering on life support, I don't see how the Trumpsters' concern trolling about American dystopia relates to what I presume is intended to be your criticism of me, specifically. That's their bag, not mine. I think our cities are not close to dystopia. Or at least not my city, which Trump holds up as the paragon of dystopia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm sure it's not.

As long as the horse is still lingering on life support, I don't see how the Trumpsters' concern trolling about American dystopia relates to your criticism of me, specifically. That's their bag, not mine. I think our cities are not close to dystopia. Or at least not my city, which Trump holds up as the paragon of dystopia.

No idea what Ol' Paint is, but so we are clear, I'd guess you concern troll over American dystopia, or the potential for dystopia, more than all other posters combined.

But I guess it isn't your bag, so?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Doubtful. The twitter mob has spoken. In Detroit, eye witness reports were that the police shot an unarmed man who was holding a cellphone. Witnesses claimed the cops just chased him down and shot him 15 times in the back. Body camera footage shows the guy pulled a gun and fired a couple shots at the face of the cop from about 3 feet away. The police shot him four times killing him. Even after the body camera footage was released, there are groups who still believe he was murdered, feel the police are hiding something, and want all the cops and chief fired and charged. For good measure Rashida Tlaib has met and supported this group. This guy was also a suspect in the killing of four blacks. 

and yet the actual result in Det was much different. People trying to capitalize on trouble will always be present. They get the press but I don't think they are actually what determines the outcomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

No idea what Ol' Paint is,

an old horse. Grade school music class song from the 60's

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

and yet the actual result in Det was much different.

The point is, the body camera footage as clear as it was, did not stop protests from continuing. The horse is out of the barn in Kenosha. I don't think any body camera footage is going to change anything. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The point is, the body camera footage as clear as it was, did not stop protests from continuing. The horse is out of the barn in Kenosha. I don't think any body camera footage is going to change anything. 

Are you putting the residual protests in Det on the same level as what we are seeing in Kenosha?

I'd certainly agree that in Kenosha I'm doubtful anything from any other view is going to undue the effect of the video already out there. 

OTOH, if the DPD had not released their video, don't you think things in Det could have gotten a lot worse?

The difference is that video released in Det did contradict the story some people were trying to push. I have a hard time believing any video shot in Kenosha could contradict what we've already seen very effectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The point is, the body camera footage as clear as it was, did not stop protests from continuing. The horse is out of the barn in Kenosha. I don't think any body camera footage is going to change anything. 

Body camera footage is irrelevent in the court of public option once a narrative is set...even if all the evidence has come to the forefront.  People are looking to protest and riot based on any smidgen of suspicision of police misconduct against African Americans.  Every city in America, every business and every homeowner should be prepared for the possibility of protests and riots in their neighborhoods in this climate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The point is, the body camera footage as clear as it was, did not stop protests from continuing. The horse is out of the barn in Kenosha. I don't think any body camera footage is going to change anything. 

Are we basically just now not making a distinction between protests and riots now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Are you putting the residual protests in Det on the same level as what we are seeing in Kenosha?

I'd certainly agree that in Kenosha I'm doubtful anything from any other view is going to undue the effect of the video already out there. 

OTOH, if the DPD had not released their video, don't you think things in Det could have gotten a lot worse?

Exactly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

People are looking to protest and riot based on any smidgen of suspicision of police misconduct against African Americans. 

I wouldn't exactly call seven bullets a "smidgen"

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Are we basically just now not making a distinction between protests and riots now?

The point is, the body camera footage didn't change the minds of some despite it being one of the most clear examples of acceptable use of force you will ever see. The people in Detroit wanted a reason to protest and the people in Kenosha want a reason to riot. Releasing body camera footage won't change anything. The rioters aren't just going to say my bad and clean up the town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Body camera footage is irrelevent in the court of public option once a narrative is set...even if all the evidence has come to the forefront.  People are looking to protest and riot based on any smidgen of suspicision of police misconduct against African Americans.  Every city in America, every business and every homeowner should be prepared for the possibility of protests and riots in their neighborhoods in this climate.

I disagree.   There is a lot of smidgens of suspicious of police misconduct against African Americans that no one protests.  

I also disagree that body camera footage is irrelevent.  The body cams in Detroit totally changed the court of public opinion.

I also think preparing for the possibility of protests and riots in my neighborhood would be a terrible investment, and would also be terrible business move for the company I work for.   I am definitely not doing anything to prepare my house for riots, and hope the company I work for doesn't waste their money on that.

They should be spending their money on what is actually closing their buildings, which is COVID-19.  Thankfully my company is doing that, and also have productized it to help other companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...