Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

Do people see what happened in Seattle and Minneapolis and think it won't happen in their city? In Detroit we have activist groups wanting police fired and setting up occupancy zones like in Seattle. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Do people see what happened in Seattle and Minneapolis and think it won't happen in their city?

Honestly, I don't. As evidenced by the fact that the issue polls somewhere between 15-25% depending on poll.

If an issue is that unpopular with the general public, why would I expect it to happen where I live? Especially given the context of where I live (and it's general bent on policing issues)?

Seattle is defunding the police.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/local/protests/seattle-city-council-police-budget-defund-vote/281-52d60913-c6f2-4ae6-b30f-12fc52824f5e

According to king5.com, "Budget measures approved Monday will trim about $3 million of the department’s $400 million annual budget this year."

That works out to a reduction of [pulls out calculator, tap tap tap tap] 0.75% of the total budget [puts down calculator], which will leave the decimated department a revised budget of [picks up calculator again, tap tap tap tap] only $397 million.

Head for the hills, Seatllites. You don't got much time left. I guess.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Didn't New York cut funds from their police budget? 

What, so Seattle's not working for you anymore? Bummer.

A big chunk of the NYPD budget cut was on paper only.  They moved the officers working in schools off the police budget and onto the education budget.  

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Honestly, I don't. As evidenced by the fact that the issue polls somewhere between 15-25% depending on poll.

If an issue is that unpopular with the general public, why would I expect it to happen where I live? Especially given the context of where I live (and it's general bent on policing issues)?

The bigger question is that each of these major cities (Chicago, New York, LA, Seattle, Minneapolis) are *outnumbered* in population by those who live in the metropolitan area as a whole. If I had to guess, the principle city in all these places make up maybe 20-30% of the total metro population? You think places like Naperville, Massapequa, St. Louis Park, etc. are gonna defund the police too?

And then you add in the fact that major American cities, contrary to the apparent popular belief around here, aren't all homogeneous places that respond the exact same thing or believe the exact same thing on issues like police funding. Consider places like San Diego, or Fort Worth, or Phoenix, or Jacksonville.... you think *they* are defunding the police?

I'm not necessarily saying that it doesn't merit national attention... these are big national cities.... but I also don't think the actions of these cities (ie. Seattle, Minneapolis) are all that representative of the nation as a whole.

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What, so Seattle's not working for you anymore? Bummer.

My point was more to where this was only happening in Seattle and Minneapolis. 

Seattle police abandoned only a couple blocks of the city and people got killed. Funding isn't everything. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

My point was more to where this was only happening in Seattle and Minneapolis. 

Seattle police abandoned only a couple blocks of the city and people got killed. Funding isn't everything. 

and the proposal was to cut 50% and the crazy lady who marches on the mayor's house was the sole dissenting vote.

and dont worry, we were told on this board that the CHOP was nothing more than a summer of love teach in.

3 hours ago, smr-nj said:

No. there hasn’t.

I would guess that the only simple police reform question that would get a positive might be 'demilitarize' the police. But given the amount of lethal hardware in the hands of the public even that wouldn't be easy to do.

Minneapolis will still have police. They are going to have more distinct offices. For instance, if a call comes in that someone with a history of mental illness is causing problems you bring along a professional that's had more than 4 hours of mental health training to engage. And there is movement to change aspects of the force culture - such as less experienced officers can have input and disagree with a senior officer, which likely would have saved George Floyd's life. Another push is to remove some of the power of the union and to have an outside impartial office complete investigations of cop misbehavior. And they are looking in the mirror regarding racial profiling and extensive use of force when responding to people of color.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We need to change the term Karen to Alex or Alexa.....and he certainly fits Alexa

Apparently if you support BLM and peaceful protests, you are responsible for looting in Chicago.

Thanks for clarifying, Tucker.

Fox gonna Fox.

Find the most extreme view of someone affiliated with an organization, insinuate that is a position of said organization, then attribute that to anyone who doesn't denounce the organization in the strongest possible terms.

Rinse, wash, repeat.

I'm a man of faith, which is why I believe with all of my heart that some day Tucker Carlson will be raped in prison.

So Fox is issuing clarion calls to modestly-educated heavily-armed people who historically have had a siege mentality fueled by social grievance.

This should end well.

55 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Republicans supported Romney when his Bain Capital was looting companies. 

Pretty simple case of who is taking from whom.

42 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

his stuff is hilarious.

this one is the best of the bunch.

As the President tries to defund the Post Office he is doing something equally nefarious that has gotten little to NO media coverage.

Are you a Government retiree under the FERS retirement system? Do you know one or hope to become one?

President Trump’s proposed FY21 budget, which will go into affect on October 1, 2020, will have a devastating effect on all current and future FERS retirees. Various proposals call for the ELIMINATION of the FERS Special Retirement Supplement, the ELIMINATION of COLA for FERS retirees and the REDUCTION of the TSP G Fund interest rate to a negligible amount.

It doesn’t matter which "side" you are on,  it doesn't matter if you are a veteran – this effects ALL current and future FERS retirees.

Write your Congressman today and urge him or her to reject the FY21 budget as it is currently proposed and to eliminate the aforementioned proposals from this and any future budget.

This can be verified here in the “Aligns Federal Compensation with the Private Sector" section:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/FY21-Fact-Sheet-Modernizing-Government.pdf

The FY21 Budget can be located here. “Aligns Federal Compensation with the Private Sector" section" starts on page 21:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/budget_fy21.pdf

• Like 1