Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

Well, Long beach had an amazing 3 hours of peaceful and respectful protest. Then the looters came in and started ******* **** up. Now we're in a curfew and there are gunshots and/or fireworks going off all around me. 

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that Matt Walsh had never actually talked about or tweeted about this story until today.

How convenient 

Just watching that video and honestly with that, I can't see anything the police did wrong.  So, for a white guy to die at the hands of police where it's not obvious anything was done wrong, why even compare it to a black man that dies at the hands of police when they did something obviously wrong on video.  Annoying.   Judge each incident on the facts, end of story.  Wish people would try to stop trying to make a narrative.  I've fought a bit with my cousin on Facebook tonight, just don't understand some folks. 

enough with these ******* protests... they're doing yet another one tonight in detroit because last night's went so well...

I guess people don't care about the future anymore.  **** em. We tried but too many people don't care.

It was pretty universal, outside of the MN PD that what happened was awful and he should be convicted of murder.

What justice for Floyd are they marching for? The cop was arrested and charged with murder. Let's have the trial.

When Whitmer extends the stay at home order again because of all of this and the rednecks go up and protest in Lansing everybody needs to now shut the **** up about it.  Can't moralize about the spread of covid and not taking precautions, etc......

COVID doesn't care about the cause being spread.  Either you care about spreading it and infecting others or you don't.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

enough with these ******* protests... they're doing yet another one tonight in detroit because last night's went so well...

I guess people don't care about the future anymore.  **** em. We tried but too many people don't care.

It was pretty universal, outside of the MN PD that what happened was awful and he should be convicted of murder.

Yeah, anybody who organizes a protest is complicit in the riots at this point. They know the riots ensue, so they are inviting them.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

When Whitmer extends the stay at home order again because of all of this and the rednecks go up and protest in Lansing everybody needs to now shut the **** up about it.  Can't moralize about the spread of covid and not taking precautions, etc......

COVID doesn't care about the cause being spread.  Either you care about spreading it and infecting others or you don't.  

Trump will say he had COVID under control until all the radical liberals decided to start rioting across the country.

13 hours ago, six-hopper said:

Oh, for crying out loud.  My point was not about some sort of unfairness to white supremacists, but about the absurdity of the Mini Mayor's suggestion that they were the mob destroying his city, which was no less ridiculous than if he had said that it was made up a Mexican cartel, Japanese whalers, or Klingons.

It's much less ridiculous than if he had said it was made up of a Mexican cartel, Japanese whalers, or Klingons.

10 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Somebody on Twitter pointed out that Matt Walsh had never actually talked about or tweeted about this story until today.

How convenient 

That bish deflowered my mute list on twitter

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

What justice for Floyd are they marching for? The cop was arrested and charged with murder. Let's have the trial.

The three other cops who stood around and watched have not been charged. 

They probably should be and probably will be, but they still have not been charged

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

Is anyone actually condoning the riots in large numbers?

It seems like the ones who are tend to be at the fringe.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Is anyone actually condoning the riots in large numbers?

It seems like the ones who are tend to be at the fringe.

I don't see the strong denunciations outside of a few mayors like with the Trumper protests at state capitals.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't see the strong denunciations outside of a few mayors like with the Trumper protests at state capitals.

The presumptive Democratic nominee has denounced them:

https://medium.com/@JoeBiden/we-are-a-nation-furious-at-injustice-9dcffd81978f

Protesting such brutality is right and necessary. It’s an utterly American response. But burning down communities and needless destruction is not. Violence that endangers lives is not. Violence that guts and shutters businesses that serve the community is not.

I'm talking now about the protests.... they need to stop now.  Whoever is organizing it.  We bitched about the protests in Lansing and other states when it was about stay at home orders and a big talking point was social distancing and spread of COVID... the same holds true now.

My son was down in Detroit the last two days, they left before sundown and said the protests were fine.... but at some point you have to realize you are doing more harm than good.  If this attracts rioters and looters then find another method.    Especially since this has hit the AA community so hard.  It's kind of ironic that protests designed to help the AA community end up hurting it.

I debated about posting this this morning. It’s a powerful message and we old white men don’t really comprehend 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

It's kind of ironic that protests designed to help the AA community end up hurting it.

it is however, always the case.

3 minutes ago, Oblong said:

If this attracts rioters and looters then find another method.    

What method would you suggest?

I'm sure Biden remembers, as I do, the Newark rioting in the late sixties over a police beating of a black man.  I was still young and we were living overseas at the time, but moved to Jersey just a few years afterward.  Newark was still a wasteland in the seventies, and as I understand it, there are yet vacant lots where a thriving community used to stand and was burned during the rioting over a half century ago.    Newark has never fully recovered from that violent time.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

What method would you suggest?

I don't know... but one that doesn't help spread a virus during a pandemic.

What is being accomplished by the protests at this point?  Restaurants and places of business are being destroyed that have already taken a huge hit because of a pandemic.  Now we are pobably delaying any reopening....  is this really improving the situation?   The protests are about injustice and making the world a better place for certain people but we're jeopardizing the very existence of that world.

No, it's not the fault of the protesters who are peaceful... but if you have the power to help stop it then at some point you need to use it.  A third day of marches isn't going to make the point any more clear than two days or marches.  You are pouring water into a full glass and ruining the tablecloth.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Melody said:

I'm sure Biden remembers, as I do, the Newark rioting in the late sixties over a police beating of a black man.  I was still young and we were living overseas at the time, but moved to Jersey just a few years afterward.  Newark was still a wasteland in the seventies, and as I understand it, there are yet vacant lots where a thriving community used to stand and was burned during the rioting over a half century ago.    Newark has never fully recovered from that violent time.

12th and Clairmont is still a wasteland. I believe they built some low income housing and changed the name of 12th street to Rosa Parks.

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I don't know... but one that doesn't help spread a virus during a pandemic.

What is being accomplished by the protests at this point?  Restaurants and places of business are being destroyed that have already taken a huge hit because of a pandemic.  Now we are pobably delaying any reopening....  is this really improving the situation?   The protests are about injustice and making the world a better place for certain people but we're jeopardizing the very existence of that world.

No, it's not the fault of the protesters who are peaceful... but if you have the power to help stop it then at some point you need to use it.  A third day of marches isn't going to make the point any more clear than two days or marches.  You are pouring water into a full glass and ruining the tablecloth.

Here's what I struggle with: every single time one of these incidents happen, there's always some excuse or some reason to push off the concerns of those in the community affected. As deadly as COVID is (and you are right, there is a looming public health outfall that likely will come from this), there's were always excuses or cried to "find a better way" to make change before COVID as well.

It's easy (especially for us) to say "find a better way", but If the goal of these peaceful protesters is to address the institutional problems that lead to something like George Floyd's death, police brutality, etc., what other suggestions are there?

The only thing I comes to mind (obviously) is voting, but even there, I understand the skepticism of the ballot box given so many promises that have not been kept over the years.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mtutiger said:

Here's what I struggle with: every single time one of these incidents happen, there's always some excuse or some reason to push off the concerns of those in the community affected. As deadly as COVID is (and you are right, there is a looming public health outfall that likely will come from this), there's were always excuses or cried to "find a better way" to make change before COVID as well.

It's easy (especially for us) to say "find a better way", but If the goal of these peaceful protesters is to address the institutional problems that lead to something like George Floyd's death, police brutality, etc., what other suggestions are there?

Vote.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Vote.

Post was edited

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The only thing I comes to mind (obviously) is voting, but even there, I understand the skepticism of the ballot box given so many promises that have not been kept over the years.