Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

If somebody freezes frames this and makes it viral on twitter or insta, it could be problematic for MSNBC due to the unfortunate interpretation, because it kind of looks like Ali Velshi is giving a thumbs up sign to the FTP sign.

D2463861-FAEF-43EC-9B5A-37BCB9C41693.thumb.jpeg.2123f0f805f3cbccfc6f912ad28cc02d.jpeg

He is the only one in that crowd wearing any sort of mask.  Looks like a gas mask?  Doesn’t look like he is facing or looking at that poster though.

I told Melody local news doesn’t matter.  I’ve watched a lot of local news this week for the first time in awhile.  What a scene.  These reporters are in it.  My local news is Minneapolis.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Melody said:

He is the only one in that crowd wearing any sort of mask.  Looks like a gas mask?  Doesn’t look like he is facing or looking at that poster though.

He’s not, but I’ve seen more incredulous things because memes.

Ths coverage is different from what I’ve seen on similar things because they’re not shying away from the f-bomb, whether on a poster or said aloud, or people putting up fingers. I think that’s good and effective.

4 minutes ago, Melody said:

I was watching the reporting. He put on the gas mask after there was firing of teargas. He had the gas mask because when he covered the story the night before in a different location there was also teargas, so he knew he needed to have a gas mask with him while reporting.

This is horrible to watch, and so dangerous to report.

Yeah, this is a big one. They’ll be talking about this for a while. It’s gut-wrenching, because we don’t know yet whether this will lead to something else.

20 minutes ago, Melody said:

looks like a full face cartridge respirator. There are several kinds of cartridges depending on what you expect to be exposed to. IIRC you want a "C" or "E" cartridge for tear gas.  :ninja:

On close inspection he's got Honeywell purple cartridges which are multifunction - he's good to go.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Did they remove "interim" from Kraus' title yet? He deserves the job for sure

Oh yeah.  Some time back.  A few complaints at the time because the city didn’t do a national search first.  But most were pleased at the hire.  

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, this is a big one. They’ll be talking about this for a while. It’s gut-wrenching, because we don’t know yet whether this will lead to something else.

yeah they've got a real riot now. So much for Minnesota nice.

1 hour ago, T&P_Fan said:

I told Melody local news doesn’t matter.  I’ve watched a lot of local news this week for the first time in awhile.  What a scene.  These reporters are in it.  My local news is Minneapolis.  

National stuff is important, but there's value in knowing what goes on where you live... and local news outlet (print and television) are often just as good as the national people.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

National stuff is important, but there's value in knowing what goes on where you live... and local news outlet (print and television) are often just as good as the national people.

Often better, in particular when it is a local or state matter because local outlets know the local history, the neighborhoods, local and state laws, etc.

That was very odd.

The police just arrested a CNN cameraman.  They were live and the cops just took all his gear off and arrested the guy.  The police don't realize the camera is still on.  They picked up the camera, walked it away for about 20 feet and set it down on the ground.  The camera is still rolling.  This is a screenshot I took of the CNN feed.

Usneri5.png

Say what you will about the Trumper protests at state capitals, at least they didn't set the capital building on fire and start cheering with a fireworks display.

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Say what you will about the Trumper protests at state capitals, at least they didn't set the capital building on fire and start cheering with a fireworks display.

You're going a long way to explain away armed protesters intimidating legislators ... ??

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah they've got a real riot now. So much for Minnesota nice.

Minnesota pissed

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

That's true in big markets like Dallas and Chicago. Hardly at all in small markets, especially where Sinclair dominates.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

You're going a long way to explain away armed protesters intimidating legislators ... ??

Well, we have to understand why they were protesting. They don't consider the people in Lansing their neighbors.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Video of the CNN reporter getting arrested.

This is America.

Trump will praise the police.

Well, you can see why the reporter is a threat and needed arresting.

I'm not clear on what premise he was arrested.  He was equipped and credentialed as media.  Really dumb move on the part of the police.

3 minutes ago, Melody said:

I'm not clear on what premise he was arrested.  He was equipped and credentialed as media.  Really dumb move on the part of the police.

their first misstep in all of this

15 minutes ago, pfife said:

Setting everything else aside, one takeaway from this is that MPD clearly needs to be cleaned out.

14 minutes ago, pfife said:

Evidently this incident was the State police, not Minneapolis PD.  In the midst of all that is going on up there, the stupidity is just astounding.