Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

Warren has an older population so it makes sense he would pull it off with the absentee ballots. I voted for Fouts last election but voted for Colegio this time and don't know much about her.

Secretly recorded conversations appeared to depict him insulting women, the mentally disabled and African Americans, and using a gay slur.

Fouts asserts the recordings, which began surfacing nearly three years ago, are the phony product of political opponents. During a deposition last year in federal court, he declined to answer questions about the tapes.

Warren should be proud. 

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Warren should be proud. 

There's more to it. Fouts has a lot of appeal because you can call him at his literally day/night/weekend and he will respond. He also has been pretty aggressive on blight enforcement and will personally hand out code violations. This goes over well the older residents. Colegio's support was probably mostly South Warren. Fouts won with about 57% of the vote compared to 85% last time, however that was against Karen Spranger.

19 hours ago, Oblong said:

One of the first tweets I saw on the murders did point out they were part of that sect/cult but that was the only one I saw.   

I have a hard time thinking something like this is random. Not to that degree.  

I can't speak to that Mexico LeBaron bunch specifically, but in other places here in the US where these larger polygamist cult groups are entrenched, the local authorities are believed to be protecting/colluding with them.   Many of the members (the men, at any rate) are affluent and have a lot of influence.  Certainly true of the Jeffs and Kingston groups in Utah and Arizona.

It is truly shocking to hear the stories from those who escaped from these groups.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

We had an elder once who often said that people tend to judge others' motivations according to their own hearts.  Just saying. 

7 minutes ago, Melody said:

We had an elder once who often said that people tend to judge others' motivations according to their own hearts.  Just saying. 

I find that people take the Bible and make it fit whatever their worldview happens to be.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I find that people take the Bible and make it fit whatever their worldview happens to be.

That same elder used to say that as well.  So it comes down to judging whether Rubio's heart is sharing verses that have instructed him in his personal walk at that time, or is using them as a weapon to attack others.  I follow him on twitter, see the verses he posts every day.   I get the vibe of the former motivation.

55 minutes ago, Melody said:

Yeah, well... considering that Garry Kasparov has had experience watching erstwhile upstanding politicians and institutions be corrupted in his home country, I tend to hold a higher view of his motivations over someone like Rubio.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yeah, well... considering that Garry Kasparov has had experience watching erstwhile upstanding politicians and institutions be corrupted in his home country, I tend to hold a higher view of his motivations over someone like Rubio.

Not personally concerned about the view of atheists about what constitutes practice of Christian faith.  Sorry.  

On 11/6/2019 at 11:40 AM, Motown Bombers said:

There's more to it. Fouts has a lot of appeal because you can call him at his literally day/night/weekend and he will respond. He also has been pretty aggressive on blight enforcement and will personally hand out code violations. This goes over well the older residents. Colegio's support was probably mostly South Warren. Fouts won with about 57% of the vote compared to 85% last time, however that was against Karen Spranger.

Plus those recordings weren't even him, it was adobe cellamaphone player.

Seriously though, when I moved into the city he was the president of the city council and if there was a cost to something, he would say 'no'.  I voted for him his first mayoral run but quickly was disheartened as everything he said no about, seemed to be cool if he was spending the money.   To his defense, he works tirelessly.  Email him about a complaint right now and leave your phone number, you will get a call tomorrow.  24x7, expect him to directly contact you if he has a means.  I noticed a large branch broken but hanging in a tree at a park.  Called the city, nothing.  Emailed him in the afternoon, within an hour he forwarded it to a parks and rec director and cc'd me.  Probably 4-5pm at this point.  9pm, another email scolding out the director that he drove by the park, saw what I was complaining about, and upset it wasn't dealt with yet. It was taken care of first thing the following morning.  

If I had not paid attention to politics and based my vote simply on the few interactions I had with him, I would have continued to vote for him.  

1 minute ago, Melody said:

Not personally concerned about the view of atheists about what constitutes practice of Christian faith.  Sorry.  

You were interested enough to comment in the first place.

27 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

You were interested enough to comment in the first place.

I wasn't aware that you were an atheist.  My apologies.  Not trying to offend.  However, the fact remains that one without understanding of the faith is not the best judge of the faith.

A secular humanist worldview is NOT the measure of Christianity.  Full stop.

40 minutes ago, Melody said:

I wasn't aware that you were an atheist.  

I'm a Catholic.

Nothing more to discuss since you're making it personal.

1 hour ago, Melody said:

I wasn't aware that you were an atheist.  My apologies.  Not trying to offend.  However, the fact remains that one without understanding of the faith is not the best judge of the faith.

A secular humanist worldview is NOT the measure of Christianity.  Full stop.

And good people would be well advised to understand who their allies are. If you want a more concretely theological view - the admonition was that you can not serve both God and Mammon. You can call people what you you want and they may call themselves what they want. I've come to where I don't think there is one whit of value in what anyone professes about what they do or do not believe,  the only thing of value is what they do, or don't do.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If you want a more concretely theological view - the admonition was that you can not serve both God and Mammon. 

Right. You don't have to be of a specific faith to be able to ascertain that there is a cognitive dissonance in how Rubio's public persona and political interests (ie. his comments on the Ukraine scandal being a perfect example) conflict with the persona he cultivates on his Twitter feed about his faith.

To be clear, I think his faith is 100% genuine... but that doesn't mean the cognitive dissonance isn't there or isn't worth noting.

27 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Right. You don't have to be of a specific faith to be able to ascertain that there is a cognitive dissonance in how Rubio's public persona and political interests (ie. his comments on the Ukraine scandal being a perfect example) conflict with the persona he cultivates on his Twitter feed about his faith.

To be clear, I think his faith is 100% genuine... but that doesn't mean the cognitive dissonance isn't there or isn't worth noting.

I'll even go that last step - I don't care if his 'faith' is real or not. That's between him and the deity. It's more than cognitive dissonance - is dissonant action. I basically don't see any viable connection between what he professes and his actions - so his profession is meaningless to me.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Melody said:

That same elder used to say that as well.  So it comes down to judging whether Rubio's heart is sharing verses that have instructed him in his personal walk at that time, or is using them as a weapon to attack others.  I follow him on twitter, see the verses he posts every day.   I get the vibe of the former motivation.

To all appearances, Rubio's "personal walk" is that of a phony baloney, and I have trouble understanding how anyone who pays close attention to his public career can regard him as an esteemed model of high moral standing.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

To all appearances, Rubio's "personal walk" is that of a phony baloney, and I have trouble understanding how anyone who pays close attention to his public career can regard him as a esteemed model of high moral standing.

Right. In the internet/fiber optic/terabytes-coming-at-you-per-second world, words, talk, appearance, image, avowal, are all orders of magnitude more manufacturable, manipulable and thus more worthless than they have ever been. That's why the whole idea of political campaigns has become quaintly anachronistic. There is no less useful place to seek fact or truth.

Megyn Kelly interviews the person CBS fired for the Epstein leak.  The one where Amy Robach was on tape saying ABC killed her story about Epstein three years ago.

She claims not to be the leaker.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Megyn Kelly interviews the person CBS fired for the Epstein leak.  The one where Amy Robach was on tape saying ABC killed her story about Epstein three years ago.

She claims not to be the leaker.

That story - or non story - should tell us all we need to know about a lot of things that are wrong in this county.  Let's start with "justice for ALL."