Jump to content

Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, screwball said:

I hate to see people lose their jobs; but I would be quite happy to go into a bank and not talk to anyone.  They probably feel the same way towards me.  🙂

We have long lines because they are too cheap to have enough tellers.  Three lanes for the drive thru window and one teller - at lunch.  Really?

You still have tellers at the drive through?  Ours went away years ago.  Just the ATMs at the drive through.  I have to go inside to make deposits because I don't have a debit card, never did.   But it rarely comes up that my husband isn't with me.  

Nothing strange or anything.  My husband opened the account when we moved here (30 years ago!) and they said I had to appear in person to get a card issued.  I just never did.  It's a joint account so I can conduct any business I want, just have to go inside to do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Melody said:

You still have tellers at the drive through?  Ours went away years ago.  Just the ATMs at the drive through.  I have to go inside to make deposits because I don't have a debit card, never did.   But it rarely comes up that my husband isn't with me.  

Nothing strange or anything.  My husband opened the account when we moved here (30 years ago!) and they said I had to appear in person to get a card issued.  I just never did.  It's a joint account so I can conduct any business I want, just have to go inside to do it.  

All our banks have drive thru lanes.  We aren't too far past horse and buggys so I understand.  🙂

A bank inconveniencing you?  No, I can't believe it.  /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, screwball said:


A bank inconveniencing you?  No, I can't believe it.  /s

Mostly I just never felt a need so never bothered.    We only used that card at our bank.

What really inconveniences me is the ridiculously low interest and high fees on savings.   We used to have a separate savings account and put money every month into it to prepare for annual and semi annual expenses like car and home insurance, property taxes.  But it has gotten to where the interest is so low and the monthly account fees so high we were losing money doing it that way.   Our checking is free via my husband’s employer but not savings.  Anyway, we now put the “escrow” money in a cash investment account at an investment company and just transfer it over to the bank when we need it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drinking wine on the patio with my husband on the patio, per our evening custom.  I like dry red.  He has lately been more into dry white.  So tonight he pours himself a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.   Then picks up my Cabernet, adds a single drop, and says, “I am in the mood for an Elizabeth Warren.”  I LOL’d.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Melody said:

Mostly I just never felt a need so never bothered.    We only used that card at our bank.

What really inconveniences me is the ridiculously low interest and high fees on savings.   We used to have a separate savings account and put money every month into it to prepare for annual and semi annual expenses like car and home insurance, property taxes.  But it has gotten to where the interest is so low and the monthly account fees so high we were losing money doing it that way.   Our checking is free via my husband’s employer but not savings.  Anyway, we now put the “escrow” money in a cash investment account at an investment company and just transfer it over to the bank when we need it.   

Just wait a few years until we have negative interest rates.  

I put my savings into short-term bonds which isn't great, but it's significantly better than the interest rate you get at banks.  I keep enough in the bank to pay my bills for a few months.  The rest of my savings (not targeted for retirement) go into short-term bonds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Melody said:

Mostly I just never felt a need so never bothered.    We only used that card at our bank.

What really inconveniences me is the ridiculously low interest and high fees on savings.   We used to have a separate savings account and put money every month into it to prepare for annual and semi annual expenses like car and home insurance, property taxes.  But it has gotten to where the interest is so low and the monthly account fees so high we were losing money doing it that way.   Our checking is free via my husband’s employer but not savings.  Anyway, we now put the “escrow” money in a cash investment account at an investment company and just transfer it over to the bank when we need it.   

A feature, not a bug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting discussion about this on 1A yesterday morning. Curious how much the Sackler family will have to finally dish out from their own pockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Interesting discussion about this on 1A yesterday morning. Curious how much the Sackler family will have to finally dish out from their own pockets.

Only the best and most legit business people bankrupt themselves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC that was the minimum agreement Purdue declares bankruptcy and goes out of business. Then becomes a trust not owned by the family but under the auspices of the plaintiffs. The new company would then work with those who are addicted to the drug providing  alternative drugs and therapy.

The family is supposed to put about $3 billion into the funds.

The downside is victim families won’t see a penny in compensation only treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Only the best and most legit business people bankrupt themselves. 

Remember, bankruptcy is a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Interesting discussion about this on 1A yesterday morning. Curious how much the Sackler family will have to finally dish out from their own pockets.

I have been reading so much about Purdue Pharma lately in a couple of books about the opioid crisis.  They are corrupt as ****.  An absolute POS company.    

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What is his 'turning over' to the FBI?  The photographer is known.

I think they mean the people at Liberty who blabbed to the media. But I’m not sure what the FBI is supposed to do.  It’s not national security issues.  It’s a matter for Liberty to deal with. No laws were broken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I think they mean the people at Liberty who blabbed to the media. But I’m not sure what the FBI is supposed to do.  It’s not national security issues.  It’s a matter for Liberty to deal with. No laws were broken. 

“I’m calling the FBI” is base signaling / deflecting in Falwell’s case. He got caught breaking the goofy rules Liberty University has, and he’s trying to cover it up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Remember, bankruptcy is a good thing.

Every successful businessman does a bankruptcy...

or four...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PS: Trump will go bankrupt again after his presidency is over in 2020:

He has established himself as the most toxic person on the planet.

The Saudi's and Russians will no longer be willing to bankroll him, nor need to.

He won't have the presidency to sell, ending his corruption cash flow.

Outside of the corruption, and why he is scrambling for corrupt dollars, is that revenues at all of his properties are down roughly 30%. Possibly more than that. And that's before he loses his corrupt presidential pipeline. Once he's out of office, I predict his real estate revenues (golf properties, Trump Towers, Mar-a-Lago, etc...) lose revenues at about a 50-60% clip from his pre-2016 days.

His MAGA supporters don't have the money to afford anything on any Trump property. It's why Junior is modelling camo-gear now...

Trump has massive debt on his properties... with diminished revenues to make loan payments, he goes bankrupt... around 2023 I wager. Maybe before then.

Maybe MAGA can pass the hat and take up a collection to try and bail him out of his billions of debt.

Hey Stan... you gotta MAGA hat to start passing around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

He'll also have his third divorce.  

IDK, the pre-nup is probably going to make it a pretty tough walk-away. Then again, what do you suppose her book advance might run to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK, the pre-nup is probably going to make it a pretty tough walk-away. Then again, what do you suppose her book advance might run to?

I think she can now make a huge profit without him.  It would be the most profitable tell all book and interview tour in world history by far.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I think she can now make a huge profit without him.  It would be the most profitable tell all book and interview tour in world history by far.  

She's proabably NDA'd up the wazoo already... but again... NDA is not legal.  She could make tens of millions on her won...

and then there's always going back to soft core porn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

She's proabably NDA'd up the wazoo already... but again... NDA is not legal.  She could make tens of millions on her won...

and then there's always going back to soft core porn.

She can do the wall street and porn circuit at the same time.  The possibilities are unlimited.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,639
    • Total Posts
      2,910,427
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...