Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

3 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I guess this is one take on "Pure Michigan"

https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/08/city-council-candidate-says-she-wants-to-keep-her-michigan-town-white-as-much-as-possible.html

Where do these people come from? Why don't they go away?

This is becoming the norm within the right.  It's going to be a serious problem for years to come.

22 hours ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Did you ever read Ursala LeGuin's the Lathe of Heaven

An interesting exploration of where his concept might take you....

Conservative media thrives, grows broader under Trump

Major conservative media outlets are still growing in the U.S., even in the Trump era, by broadening their coverage areas and audiences to reach as many people as possible.

Why it matters: It's a reversal of the more typical pattern in which ideological media outlets take off when a president from the other side is in power.

Driving the news: An analysis of conservative websites by the Columbia Journalism Review using Comscore data found that there's been a rise in right-wing web "tabloidism" since President Trump took office.

Far-right sites have seen increased Facebook referral traffic in 2019, compared to the beginning of 2018, according to traffic analytics websites Chartbeat.

Other right-leaning websites, like the Daily Mail Online, Daily Wire and Breitbart, also rank high among the news publishers with the highest engagement on Facebook in 2019. Left-leaning sites like HuffPost and some mainstream sites like the New York Times and NBC also rank highly.

On television, Fox News continues to dominate virtually every metric, while other conservative TV groups are also broadening their reach.

Podcasts, meanwhile, have given rise to up-and-coming right-leaning personalities.

"The Joe Rogan Experience," a talk podcast hosted by self-described libertarian Joe Rogan, is an example of a podcast that speaks to a broad group of people, particularly young men, from a slightly right-of-center voice. Rogan's podcast has been one of the most-downloaded podcasts on iTunes for two years, per The Atlantic.

"The Ben Shapiro Show" lags a few spots behind Rogan on the charts, which is hosted by conservative commentator and personality Ben Shapiro. He has built a megabrand aimed at targeting younger conservatives, which also includes a website called the Daily Wire.

Not to mention Sinclair's increasing reach and AM talk radio.

That insane, overtly racist and xenophobic lady running for City Council in Marysville stepped aside today. It absolutely amazes me that in 2019 we are essentially rehashing the 1950's on race with people running for and in public office. I grew up in the 1990's in a white bread, vanilla suburb of Detroit. I grew up ignorantly thinking that because I had friends of color and because I read about racism and bigotry in text books that we had largely moved forward and made progress. Living through the Obama Administration and seeing the way he was treated and talked about and certainly living in Trump's America proves how incredibly ignorant I was.

Now in-regards to Ms. Cramer, I know, this women didn't evoke President Trump specifically. However, his own racist and xenophobic rhetoric emboldens racist, dimwitted dolts like Ms. Cramer to come forward and speak out. Trump is like Crimestoppers for racists, if you see someone darker than you, speak up and say something.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:24 PM, Melody said:

But Ngo isn’t a real journalist, maybe there wasn’t concrete mix in the shake hurled at him, and besides, what about the Proud Boys.  SMH.   

On 7/2/2019 at 2:59 PM, mtutiger said:

Who in this thread made this claim? I certainly don't recall anyone here saying this.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:59 PM, pfife said:

I did and I'm very proud of it

I stand corrected, Fife. Journalists don't do this kinda stuff.

59 minutes ago, screwball said:

This could go various places, but probably the most fun put here.  From one of theCougars favorite writers (not to pick on the Coug): From Charles Hugh Smith - The Benefits of a Profoundly Shattering Recession

yup - I think it is  commonly accepted that the destruction of so many of the nation's large fortunes  from 1929 to 1939 was a big factor in paving the way for the great growth in the middle class that started immediately on the end of WWII. And also in Europe not only with the destruction of most personal fortunes but also so much destruction of capital equipment and thus the economic power of that equipment's pre war owners. 

HeII of a price to pay though. 

Also a little selective in his definitions. Not sure how anyone could call 1981 any worse than 2009 but that really isn't his point.

20 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

That insane, overtly racist and xenophobic lady running for City Council in Marysville stepped aside today. It absolutely amazes me that in 2019 we are essentially rehashing the 1950's on race with people running for and in public office. I grew up in the 1990's in a white bread, vanilla suburb of Detroit. I grew up ignorantly thinking that because I had friends of color and because I read about racism and bigotry in text books that we had largely moved forward and made progress. Living through the Obama Administration and seeing the way he was treated and talked about and certainly living in Trump's America proves how incredibly ignorant I was.

Now in-regards to Ms. Cramer, I know, this women didn't evoke President Trump specifically. However, his own racist and xenophobic rhetoric emboldens racist, dimwitted dolts like Ms. Cramer to come forward and speak out. Trump is like Crimestoppers for racists, if you see someone darker than you, speak up and say something.

Unfortunately politics have gotten so ugly, even perilous to family, career, and reputation that mostly activists and kooks are willing to involve themselves on the grassroots and party level.

Our County GOP has some nuts running things on the precinct level.  Problem is that in their communities they were the only ones who stepped up to do it.  My own precinct hasn’t had a GOP party chair in my recollection.  DNC May have the same issue in some areas locally, not sure.  It was fairly recently that I started even paying attention to how these are organized and what they do.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

"Up Next: Ted Nugent will join us on the couch to provide his analysis of the G7"

I don't know why anyone cares what entertainers think about anything, regardless of party.  Honestly kind of tired of hearing from all of them, or at least how much undue attention they get both positive and negative.  

4 minutes ago, Melody said:

I don't know why anyone cares what entertainers think about anything, regardless of party.  Honestly kind of tired of hearing from all of them, or at least how much undue attention they get both positive and negative.  

One question I would have (as someone who is on the younger side) is whether it's a new phenomena. I know that entertainers from the past (such as Harry Belafonte) commented in political matters for instance.

Maybe it's just worse now. 

55 minutes ago, Melody said:

No ****, and that doesn't include a bunch of others who we should give a **** less what they think.

But some do.  Our country is a giant **** show.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

One question I would have (as someone who is on the younger side) is whether it's a new phenomena. I know that entertainers from the past (such as Harry Belafonte) commented in political matters for instance.

Maybe it's just worse now. 

I wouldn't say, "new."  But at least to the Vietnam War era.

1 hour ago, Melody said:

I prefer their takes to yours Melody.

I don't like your takes.

Entertainers have a worldwide stage. When they take it upon themselves to try to do good, "Feed the Children", "Benefit for Puerto Rico", they deserve credit. To listen to all this "shut up and just play ball/ sing/ whatever" pisses me off. They have something to say. They have the AMERICAN RIGHT to say it. And they're going to say what they feel the need to.

Tough **** if you don't like it. That's my take.

• Thanks 1

I think Melody has no objection to them saying it....

I personally agree, I couldn't care less about someone's opinion just because they're famous.   I like when they do stuff I agree with tho.

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

... I couldn't care less about someone's opinion just because they're famous...

Exactly.

If not interested, ignore it.

Sean Hannity is on my permanent ignore. So is Tucker Carlson.

32 minutes ago, pfife said:

I was pretty appalled as well, until I read this bit, “Officers don’t receive ongoing or live-video access, and homeowners can decline the requests.”     So seems not much different than how it currently done.  Those cameras are somewhat of a privacy invasion anyway since my neighbors are already recording my comings and goings.  And I am recording theirs.  Fortunately nobody on our street is shady or creepy.

23 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

should do wonders for his support from military families.

They are PISSED, liberal and conservative alike.  What a dumb head policy, though I doubt it will survive court scrutiny.  

How much money have we wasted questioning Capt Queeg’s whims?

It should be taken out of Stephen Miller’s allowance 

I have been following this citizenship issue on twitter.  Journalists are issuing corrections/retractions like crazy.  Evidently it is specific to adoptions while overseas.