Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Oh, OK, I see the disconnect now. You must be talking about black people resisting police while in the commission of a crime who get shot. That's a different scenario. But nobody is marching in protest of people who resist while committing crimes getting shot by cops. They're marching in protest of innocent black men (and boys) being killed by cops, during what should be routine encounters, in numbers way out of proportion to their population. 

Even if a reasonable line of reasoning can be drawn from "black people are known to commit more violent crimes per capita" to "cops are more suspicious of black people as a result" to "cops are more likely to shoot if the person in front of them is black than if white", this definitely should not lead to "we should be accepting of cops shooting innocent people because they're black, and black people should be understanding of that." Yet many white people—not you, of course, but many white people, some I know and maybe some you know as well—would in all seriousness make that argument.

No wonder people of color march against police shootings of innocent black men, holding their hands up while saying "don't shoot". They don't want to just be accepting or understanding of the situation. I don't blame them.

We literally just had the 5 year anniversary of Ferguson where people rioted even after physical evidence proved Michael Brown resisted arrest and grabbed the cop's gun. 

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Wow...

this guy basically makes MaxBoot's case. Marshall's is a zero sum world where whites that give up their racism assign themselves to 'political impotence'.

Really?

that excerpt looks like it might be the worst thing ever written, I'll pass.  Isn't this the same org that published that terrible anti-gay screed about Mayor Pete under the guise of "satire"?

26 minutes ago, pfife said:

that excerpt looks like it might be the worst thing ever written, I'll pass.  Isn't this the same org that published that terrible anti-gay screed about Mayor Pete under the guise of "satire"?

No, I think that was Slate.

11 hours ago, chasfh said:

Oh, OK, I see the disconnect now. You must be talking about black people resisting police while in the commission of a crime who get shot. That's a different scenario. But nobody is marching in protest of people who resist while committing crimes getting shot by cops. They're marching in protest of innocent black men (and boys) being killed by cops, during what should be routine encounters, in numbers way out of proportion to their population. 

Even if a reasonable line of reasoning can be drawn from "black people are known to commit more violent crimes per capita" to "cops are more suspicious of black people as a result" to "cops are more likely to shoot if the person in front of them is black than if white", this definitely should not lead to "we should be accepting of cops shooting innocent people because they're black, and black people should be understanding of that." Yet many white people—not you, of course, but many white people, some I know and maybe some you know as well—would in all seriousness make that argument.

No wonder people of color march against police shootings of innocent black men, holding their hands up while saying "don't shoot". They don't want to just be accepting or understanding of the situation. I don't blame them.

Not sure if bombers just had a hard time explaining his side or if simply his argument was bad, but I think what you're saying here plays into what Bigglesworth mentioned earlier.

At what point does something turn into a conspiracy theory.  Michael Brown was the catalyst for black lives matter.  Yet, the story was a lie and people all through Ferguson marched and protested because of a person that resisted arrest after committing a crime.   The black lives matter movement can be attributed to what I see as a changing belief on our criminal system as a whole though.  So is it a political decision to continue the lie if you think good will come of it, and even if so, at any point can that reach conspiracy theory levels?  

On 8/10/2019 at 7:02 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

asphyxiated by a sock sounds like the definition of 'assisted suicide' to me....:dead:

Evidently that report was incorrect.  AP is saying the unofficial word they are hearing is that he hanged himself with a bedsheet.  https://apnews.com/f0eef647142d40a092f5b3fe9321f480?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

Honestly, if law enforcement would give out basic facts on a more timely basis, there would be less room for speculation.  

3 hours ago, Oblong said:

No, I think that was Slate.

The New Republic, actually...

20 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The New Republic, actually...

yeah....

I knew it was one of the ones I thought should have known better seeing as they're kind of middle of the road... or used to be.  Been a long time since I read either one.

Maybe a step in the right direction?

another story about the collapse and chaos of Venezuela

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/world/americas/venezuela-military-maduro.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

A thought experiment; Imagine GHWB as President organizing the OAS to support a move against the regime and supplying a stabilizing force after the US military captures him and his top brass. Now imagine Trump managing anything half that complex......

Bush 41 was so good at that.  His past as a diplomat and his belief to not brag on things was exactly what this country needed during his presidency... I wonder how he would have handled the things that went on in the 90's, somalia, the balkans, etc.

5 minutes ago, tigerbomb13 said:

what the ****?

i guess incest would help explain some of the stupid **** he says. 

Isn't true though? Adam had to **** Eve at some point to start the human race. Really, Eve was created from Adam's rib so wouldn't that make her his sister or something?

The Iowa district Steve King represents must be a helluva weird place to live.

King has cornered the incest vote, but has to share the rape vote with others in the GOP

What an insane thing to say! This should be a Todd Akin moment for him but of course won't be, he'll get reelected because that's just how it goes I guess.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

What point was he attempting to make there?

That there was a lot of rape and incest in human history?

King's saying rape and incest were how the first humans (in King's case, Adam and Eve) procreated to support his position that abortion shouldn't be allowed in those cases.

Eve was made from one of Adam's ribs which would make her a female clone of Adam.  I'm going to assume that God wouldn't have human's first offspring be a product of rape  Incest is a different question....if you ****** the gender opposite clone of yourself, would that be considered incest?