Gehringer_2

Political Pot-pourri

15 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I have heard many say that they didn't get a tax cut due to their lack of refund, including some intelligent friends.  I don't know if it's the majority, but it's a surprisingly large number.  I heard some Democratic leaders pushing the theory too.

That thinking might be related to this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/business/economy/income-tax-cut.html

In which the majority of people who got a tax cut across all income classes, including 90% of those earning over $100K/year, still believed they didn't get a tax cut.

Does this rise to the level of conspiracy theory, though? If we accept that a conspiracy theory is widely believed as a result of being widely shared in some mutually accepted information source, are there widespread memes or social media posts or tweets or even news stories theorizing the government is engaging in a conspiracy to misrepresent the tax cut by purposefully reducing or eliminating taxpayer refunds? Or something along those lines? On the other hand, I could probably find numerous stories alleging Hillary runs a pedophile ring out of a pizza parlor, or had Seth Rich killed, or had Vince Foster killed. 

40 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Any examples you can think of a carefully constructed conspiracy theory that is widely accepted by the vast majority of the left?

Hands up, don't shoot. 

• Thanks 1

So the Clintons have so much power they can arrange for the federal prison system to allow them to kill a guy and make it look like suicide.............but they can't fix an election?    yeah, sure. 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So the Clintons have so much power they can arrange for the federal prison system to allow them to kill a guy and make it look like suicide.............but they can't fix an election?    yeah, sure. 

It’s much more plausible that Trump and his Justice Department arranged for Epstein murder.

That said - both Clinton and Trump conspiracies regarding Epstein’s death are going to be stupid. 

29 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Hands up, don't shoot. 

What’s the conspiracy at hand?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

That thinking might be related to this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/14/business/economy/income-tax-cut.html

In which the majority of people who got a tax cut across all income classes, including 90% of those earning over $100K/year, still believed they didn't get a tax cut.

Does this rise to the level of conspiracy theory, though? If we accept that a conspiracy theory is widely believed as a result of being widely shared in some mutually accepted information source, are there widespread memes or social media posts or tweets or even news stories theorizing the government is engaging in a conspiracy to misrepresent the tax cut by purposefully reducing or eliminating taxpayer refunds? Or something along those lines? On the other hand, I could probably find numerous stories alleging Hillary runs a pedophile ring out of a pizza parlor, or had Seth Rich killed, or had Vince Foster killed. 

If the tax cut were large enough to be significant to people, they would have recognized it in their monthly/weekly cash flow regardless of their refund. The real answer is that it may have been a tax cut, but it was not a significant enough amount of money to impact people, small enough in fact that it didn't even rise to the level of them remembering the monthly impact more than their refund difference.

So in term of the vernacular discussion, if you are promised a "big tax cut  - biggest tax cut ever!" and you didn't even notice it, did you actually get it?

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

What’s the conspiracy at hand?

It originated from the Furgeson shooting when the physical evidence showed Mike Brown didn't have his hands up nor is there any evidence he ever said don't shoot. That narrative is still being used. 

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Any examples you can think of a carefully constructed conspiracy theory that is widely accepted by the vast majority of the left?

That we only go to war for oil and to enrich private defense contractors.... meaning that’s the primary reason.  

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

It originated from the Furgeson shooting when the physical evidence showed Mike Brown didn't have his hands up nor is there any evidence he ever said don't shoot. That narrative is still being used. 

It also expanded to include the incorrect belief that white cops are targeting black kids and killing them systematically.

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So pot is legal in Michigan eh?    Why can't I still buy any?     Not that I am going to, but what exactly does LEGAL mean?     

sounds like they're expecting it to be available in 2020 Q1.   An article I ready yesterday on MLIVE said they're only going to have it at already established medical dispensaries at first.

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

So pot is legal in Michigan eh?    Why can't I still buy any?     Not that I am going to, but what exactly does LEGAL mean?     

Cities are passing ordinances preventing the sale of recreational pot, and state politicians are dragging their feet.

2 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Cities are passing ordinances preventing the sale of recreational pot, and state politicians are dragging their feet.

You mean the legislature of this state is going against the will of the people?   NO FRIGGIN WAY !

I am pretty sure Inkster is going to be all in (if they are smart they will)...........this might save their city.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Over 90% of people shot by cops are men. Seems like they target and systematically kill men.

Men are our biggest problem.  

26 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You mean the legislature of this state is going against the will of the people?   NO FRIGGIN WAY !

The Michigan state GOP has a long history of ignoring the will of the people - especially when it comes to ballot initiatives. 

29 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am pretty sure Inkster is going to be all in (if they are smart they will)...........this might save their city.

Flint will likely become a pot destination.

Is the pot issues the state or the local communities not wanting the dispenseries?  I know in Dearborn we are holding off on it until the rules are clear.

11 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Is the pot issues the state or the local communities not wanting the dispenseries?  I know in Dearborn we are holding off on it until the rules are clear.

My impression is most communities don't want the dispenseries.  It's like titty bars -- people want them, but no one wants them close to their home.

18 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

To the degree that it's still used at all anymore, I believe hands up don't shoot is being used as a metaphor rather than as a statement of fact. It's pretty well accepted that Michael Brown didn't have hands up and didn't say don't shoot, and I don't think that's still being argued as fact anymore by great numbers of people or by many (if any) recognized thought leaders.

In any event, the issue of police shooting black civilians out of proportion to their population has fallen way down the list of front-and-center concerns since the Trump firehose started blasting us.

16 hours ago, Oblong said:

That we only go to war for oil and to enrich private defense contractors.... meaning that’s the primary reason.  

This is a pretty good one. It isn't nearly as ridiculous as "Hillary is leading a child sex ring in a pizza place", but only because that one was so easy to disprove that it can't get real legs anymore. Without direct quotes, it's not easy to prove or disprove either side of the war argument, so by default we have to assume that when America attacks another sovereign nation, it is done primarily for national interests, not primarily for private profits. But you gotta admit that war is very, very good for the defense contractor business.

I think something that fuels that one is the Military Industrial Complex speech.